‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 16

Melody woke up the next morning and went to the kitchen to get her insulin out of the refrigerator. After injecting herself she grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and went to her room to get her backpack. When she walked back out of her room, Brian was in the living room. Their eyes locked and he caught sight if the slight bruise on her cheek.

She looked away and started for the door without saying a word to him.

“Mel” he said, but she just kept on walking.

“Melody!” she continued to ignore him and walked out the door.

The bitch about the basement apartment was having to go upstairs to get out of the house and this was going to be one of those mornings.

She walked into the kitchen and Blade, Lyric and Legend were sitting at the counter.

Blade caught sight of her cheek and part of him felt sorry for her.

“Hey munchkin, what happened to your face?” Legend asked.

“Maybe she smacked it on the pole last night” Lyric said with a hint of laughter in his voice.

She looked at Blade with humility written all over her face. After shaking her head, she walked out the kitchen door.

“Way to go, idiot!” he said to Lyric.

--

When school was over, instead of going straight home, Melody stopped at the park and sat on a swing. She didn’t want to go home and see her father. In all her 16 years, he’d never once laid a hand on her.

“Why the long face?” she knew the voice, but kept her gaze on the ground as the other person sat in the swing beside hers.

“Hey Laura”

“Want to talk about it?” Laura asked. Melody turned her face and looked at the woman.

“What happened to your face?”

“My father got a little pissed off” she said.

“He hit you?”

Melody nodded and turned her gaze back to the ground. “They don’t understand me, Laura. I only wanted to have a little fun.”

“Well, it isn’t right that he hit you. What are you going to do about it?”

“I can’t do much, I’m grounded. Seriously, I wish I could run away, just to scare him a little bit. Maybe then he would appreciate me.”

Laura smiled. “Well then, do it”

She looked over at Laura. “I wouldn’t know where to go, besides I don’t want to run away forever, I just want to scare him for like a day.”

“Well, how about this. Tomorrow is Saturday, why don’t you meet me here, and you could come back to my house for one day. That will scare the hell out of him, he wont even think to look there…. trust me” her grin was wicked as she knew she was on the verge of getting her revenge.

“I cant. I have to go with my cousin, Seven, tomorrow so I can be fitted for a stupid dress for her wedding.”

Laura was practically salivating. “That is even better. Think about it, what if you went dress shopping and just disappeared?”

Melody put her hand over her mouth. “Oh that would be hysterical”

“Wouldn’t it though? Now, what dress shop are you going to and what time will you be there?” she asked

“Madison’s on the boulevard at 1pm”

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow then” Laura smiled. “I have to go.”

“Me too. I’m already late. Bye” Melody stood and threw her backpack over her shoulder and started walking home.

She took her time being in no hurry to get back to the house. As she walked a car pulled up and drove slowly beside her.

“Want a ride?”

She looked over to see Blade in the driver’s seat and kept on walking.

“Melody, come on, get in the car.” He yelled out, but she continued to ignore him.

“Ok, I get it, you’re mad at me for getting you in trouble. Fine, just get in the car and let me drive you home.”

She turned the corner and continued to walk as if he wasn’t even there. He followed a long side her the whole way home. After parking he ran up along side of her just before she went inside.

“So, you aren’t speaking to me now?”

She pushed the door open and went inside the house. Funny how now that the tables were turned; it was he who was harassing her. She ignored him and went all the way downstairs without saying a single word to him and he was playing right into her hands.

When she walked in Brian and Stormy were sitting on the couch. She ignored them as well and went into her bedroom closing the door behind her.

A few hours later Brian knocked on the door, but she didn’t answer. When he went inside she was lying on her bed sound asleep. He walked over and pulled the covers up over her and kissed her head. He had no idea that the next morning all hell was going to break loose and she would be the one holding hands with the devil.