‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 17

When the morning came Melody woke up and her thoughts immediately went to the plan. She got up and went into the kitchen to get something to eat. Brian was sitting at the counter having coffee. Once again, she didn’t acknowledge him and poured herself a cup of coffee.

“You’re going to have to talk to me eventually” he said turning the page of the newspaper he was reading, but she ignored him and gave herself her morning shot.

She took two pieces of bread out of the breadbox and popped them in the toaster then returned to the refrigerator for the butter. He turned and got off the stool and stood behind her while she buttered her toast and kissed the top of her head. “I love you no matter how much you ignore me” he said and walked out of the kitchen and went to his bedroom to see if Stormy was awake yet.

Melody sat at the counter and ate her toast. When she was finished she got up and went to take a shower.

--

Sydney’s POV

He sleeps; my husband and I could be content with just lying here watching him. It was the one time when his body and mind were truly at peace. Even now, after all this time, he was still big, broad and tough. A little older, a lot wiser, but still rough around the edges, just the way I like him.

Flashback: The babies second birthday

Our babies were two years old today and of course there was a big party. Matt spared no expense when it came to the children even though they were too young to understand all of what was happening. It had been two years since there was any form of physical contact between the two of us. Granted it was my idea to take a break, I hadn’t thought that it would last this long.

Everyone was sitting around the yard, as the party was under way. Tera and Jimmy played in the pool with Legend. Zacky and Aubrey had their hands full with Blade who was as slippery as an eel and wouldn’t sit still for five minutes at a time. To say he was going through the “terrible 2s” was an understatement. Johnny was spinning his daughter around in the grass while she giggled and Riley looked on warning Johnny that if he didn’t stop Jonnie would throw up all the cake she ate. Who would have thought there would ever be a day when we would see Brian with a two year old on his shoulder, yet there he was with Seven holding her up while she pulled his hair and Stormy stood beside him with Lyric in her arms laughing at Brian who was making funny faces.

My husband, who never looked better in his life, was standing in the corner chatting with his date. Yes, I said his date. Her name was Kari and apparently she was a friend of all of the guys from when they were young kids. Matt ran into her when he went to pick up the birthday cake for the kids and brought her back to the house with him. All of the guys seemed genuinely happy to see her and although she was just a friend, I couldn’t help be jealous. How could I not be? She was tall, tan, blond and busty which were all of the things I wasn’t. Not to mention that she had Matt’s full attention.

“You want me to knock her front teeth out? I will just say the word” Stormy said standing behind me snapping me from my thoughts. I turned and smiled at her.

“As much as that thought appeals to me, I would rather there be no drama at my children’s birthday party.”

“Well, what are you going to do about it?” She asked.

“What can I do? I asked for this remember?”

“No, you asked for a break. It’s obvious to everyone in the house that you are miserable and that you want him back. I hate to tell you this, but you are the one that is going to have to make the first move.”

I stood there taking in her words knowing that if I didn’t do something I could possibly be looking at the future stepmonster of my children.

So, what did I do? Three days later, I got breast implants. No, I didn’t announce it, I didn’t tell anyone in the house. When I was ready for the reveal so to speak, I simply put on the tiniest bikini I could find and some sun tan oil and laid out in the back yard.

When Matt decided to come outside I could swear I heard him growl.

“Did you say something?” I asked lifting my sunglasses to look at him.

“No” he said and shook his head just staring at me. I put my sunglasses back down and laid my head back on the chair. In my head I was shouting “Victory!”

A small victory for me, but also a big mistake, because later that afternoon he got a phone call from Kari who asked him to join her for lunch and she accepted.

Bastard.


--

Seven knocked on the door and didn’t have to wait very long for someone to answer.

“Hey, Pretty girl” Brian said and kissed her cheek as she walked through the door.

“Is Mel ready?” she asked

“Let me get her” he walked to Melody’s room and knocked on the door.

She appeared in the doorway wearing ripped jeans and a cut off Vengeance University t-shirt.

“Seven is here” he smiled and she walked passed him still not speaking to him.

Brian watched as the two girls left, but little did he know that it was the last time he would see his daughter.