‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 21

“He’s stable, but it’s touch and go right now” A teary eyed, Zacky said as he came out of the recovery room to the waiting area where his wife was waiting with Stormy and Brian.

“I want to see him,” Aubrey cried.

“The doctor said we can only see him for a few minutes, he has to rest.”

She nodded and they all went back to the recovery room where Blade lay helpless.

“Baby, Can you hear me?” Aubrey asked her son as she touched his face. Blade opened his eyes and took sight of her and the others.

“Brian” he whispered.

“What’s up, buddy?” Brian moved closer to the bed so blade could see him better.

“You…have …to…help…Melody”

Brian looked at Zacky and back to Blade. “Where is she?”

His eyes were fluttering between closing and staying open. “Laura…she’s…going…to…kill” his eyes closed before he could get another word out.

“No, she can’t be back, we killed her!” Zacky whispered.

“Brian” Stormy cried.

--
When Matt and Jimmy walked back into the house they found Tera and Sydney in the kitchen. Sydney was crying and Tera looked like she was trying to hold her up.

“Brian called” Tera said.

“What’s wrong? Is it Blade?” Jimmy asked

“Blade is stable, but there is something else”

“What is it?” Matt asked putting his arms around the waist of his wife.

“Laura. Blade mentioned her name and said she was going to kill Melody”

“That’s impossible, she’s dead” Matt said.

“DID YOU SEE HER DIE?” Sydney yelled.

“Calm down, Sydney we don’t know for sure that she has the girls” Jimmy said trying to comfort her.

“Well where are they then!!” she cried.

“We’ll find them, I promise” Matt rubbed her back, but it was no comfort to her.

“How can this be happening again?” Sydney looked at her husband expecting an answer, but she knew he wasn’t going to have one.

“I don’t know, Syd.”

Brian and Stormy came through the kitchen door hoping to see their daughter, but both knew as soon as they saw Sydney that she wasn’t there.

“There’s no sign of them anywhere” Matt looked right at Brian as he spoke.

“How are we supposed to find them when we don’t even know where to look?” Stormy asked

“We’ll find them, ok. I promise” Brian said. “Go downstairs and try to get some sleep. I’ll wake you up if there is any news.”

Stormy nodded and did as Brian requested. Tera took Sydney up to her room and got her to calm down. Brian, Matt and Jimmy stayed in the kitchen trying to come up with a plan to find the woman that had caused their family total heartache over 20 years ago. History was repeating itself and neither Matt nor Brian were ready for it this time.

--
Zacky and Aubrey left the hospital, but not before telling their son that they would be back in the morning to see him. Once inside the car they sat in silence while Zacky drove.

“Zacky..”

“Please, don’t” he said “I cant do this right now”

“You can’t do this right now? Explain to me what you meant in there?”

“Aubrey, I promise we can talk in the morning. It’s been one hell of a night and we’re both tired.” He kept both hands on the wheel and his gaze out the windshield trying to dismiss her so he wouldn’t have to explain the truth.

“No, I don’t think so. I have a right to know what you were talking about” she cried.

“Leave it alone, Aubrey” he warned. He managed to keep his voice calm, but he was on the verge of being pushed too far.

“Zacky, I have never once kept a secret from you so you better start explaining”

“GOD DAMN IT, AUBREY, I SAID NOT NOW!” he yelled.

“Don’t yell at me!” she cried.

They stopped at a red light and he looked over at her face. Her eyes were now brimming with tears and he knew no matter when he told her she was going to be hurt. It didn’t matter if he told her now or in the morning, nothing would be able to prevent the pain he was going to cause her.

“I’m sorry, I yelled. I asked you to wait and you kept pushing me”

“You want me to wait after you drop a bomb like that?” she glared at him

“FINE! I had an affair ok! I had an affair with Harley. Blade is our son! Happy now?” He yelled and as soon as the words came out of his mouth he wished he could take them back.

She didn’t say a word; she just looked forward out the window and let the tears fall. He’d lied to her. For 21 years he lied to her and this was one hell of a lie.