‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 23

Jonnie sat in her car with the lights off watching as Lyric and Legend got out of the other car only a few feet away. They walked towards the candy store and looked around, but there was no sign of Seven or Melody.

Everything was closed and the pier was dark. She watched as her two friends looked in windows and around corners, yet there was no one to be found. When a car pulled up in front of the candy store, they stopped and walked over. Two men got out, both with guns.
One held a gun to Legend’s head and ordered Lyric into the car. After he got in, they shoved Legend inside and started to drive away.

Jonnie hands were shaking as she pulled out her cell phone and dialed.

“Hello?”

“Daddy, please. I know you hate me, but please help me” she cried.

Johnny sat up in his bed as he heard his daughter’s tearful voice on the other end of the phone. “Calm down Jonnie, I don’t hate you, what’s the matter?”

“Daddy, they took Lyric and Legend. Please help!” she cried.

“Who did? Was it Laura?” he asked franticly trying to put his shoes on as he spoke to her at the same time.

“There were two of them and they had guns. I’m going to follow their car” she cried.

“NO! Stay there, I’m coming” he said.

“Daddy, I have to. I’ll call you back”

She threw the phone down and sped off in the direction of the other car. She stayed far enough behind so as not to draw attention to herself.

--

Johnny was running down the stairs when Matt and Brian walked into the house. They had searched everywhere for Seven and Melody, but there was no trace.

“Where’s the fire?” Matt said as Johnny stopped short in front of them.

“Jonnie” he said out of breath holding up his cell phone.

“What about her?” Brian asked.

“She called, she said two men took Lyric and Legend and they had guns”

“WHAT?” Matt yelled.

“She’s following them in her car.”

“Did she say where she was?” Brian asked.

“No, she only said that she would call back.”

“What’s going on?” Sydney asked coming down the stairs. “Have you found them?”

“No” Matt shook his head as she put her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest.

“I’m going to check on Stormy, I’ll be right back” Brian excused himself and Johnny filled in Sydney on the phone call he got from Jonnie.

They moved to the living room and Sydney went into the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee. It was clearly going to be a long night. Brian and Stormy came up with Zacky and they all sat in the living room waiting for Jonnie to call back.

“I’m going to kill her, I’m going to kill Laura myself. I won’t rest until she’s dead,” Matt said.

“You and me both” Brian said.

“That makes three of us,” Zacky said.

Riley came down stairs and sat next to her husband. “Any word?” she asked, but he just shook his head no.

“What’s going on?” Jimmy asked walking into the living room with his wife at his side.

They all looked at him wondering who was going to be the one to tell him what happened to his son. Johnny bit the bullet and told him about the phone call. Tera’s face turned three shades paler than it already was.

“They have my son?” Jimmy asked.

Johnny nodded in response and looked down at his phone. It had been an hour since Jonnie called and he wondered if she was even able to call him back.

Jimmy was pacing back and forth while Tera sat on the couch beside Riley. Syd offered them both coffee, but each declined.

When Johnny’s phone rang again they all looked at him as he answered.

“Jonnie?”

“Daddy, they stopped at a house. I don’t know what to do” she cried.

“Where is the house?” he asked

“I don’t know, I’ve never been here before”

“It’s ok, calm down”

“Let me talk to her” Brian held out his hand and Johnny gave him the phone.

“Jonnie, it’s Uncle Brian. Tell me everything you see around you”

“Umm there’s a park with a statue of a Viking and there’s a gas station”

“What is the name of the gas station?”

“There’s no name, it just says Gas. I’m sorry” she cried.

“It’s ok, you’re doing great. Can you make out the names on the street signs?”

“Yes. Emmerson and Hyland. The gas station is on the corner of Emmerson and Hyland”

“Good, that’s good Jonnie. Is there a sign in front of the park?”

“Yes, but I can barely see it, there are trees in front of it.”

“Tell me what you can see of it.”

“It says Erickson, but I can’t see the rest of it.” She cried.

“Where are the boys?” he asked

“They’re in the house”

“Ok, have you seen the girls?”

“No. Uncle Brian, you have to come and help them please” she begged.

“Listen to me, I need you to stay calm. We’re going to be there as soon as we can and you have to keep your phone on you at all times. I’ll call you as soon as we’re close. I promise. Don’t let them see you, ok?”

“Ok, but I’m scared.”

“Be brave for the boys. I’ll call you soon.” He said and hung up the phone.

Jonnie put the phone back in her pocket and peered over the windshield of her car at the house. It was dark and she couldn’t see through the window from where she sat.

“What did she say?” Jimmy asked

“She doesn’t know where she is. She said there is a gas station on the corner of streets named Emmerson and Hyland and a park with a Viking statue. She could only make out the word Erickson on the sign”

“I know where that is, it’s Lief Erickson Park. There is a statue of him in the front, I used to climb it when I was a kid.” Jimmy said.

“Lets go” Matt said.

“Stay here in case anyone calls” Brian said to Stormy, but it was meant for all of the girls.

“We need to take two cars, we’re not coming home without all of our kids.” Brian said.
They nodded and Zacky, Johnny and Jimmy took Jimmy’s car while Matt and Brian took Matt’s SUV. They followed Jimmy in the direction of the park that Jonnie told Brian about on the phone. It seemed like they were never going to get there. They drove fast, but not fast enough to draw suspicion from the cops. They didn’t want Laura in jail, they wanted her dead.

Meanwhile…

“Look who came to join the party” Laura clapped her hands together as her two thugs dragged Lyric and Legend into the living room.

“Seven!” Legend yelled. “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine” she cried

“Where’s Melody?” Lyric asked.

“I don’t know!”

Lyric was tied to a chair and his mouth was taped shut so he couldn’t speak anymore, but Laura had other plans for Legend. She had him tied to a chair seated right in front of Seven. When he was tied up and secure, the two thugs left the room and just a few minutes later they could all hear Melody’s screams again.

“What are they doing to her?” Legend asked

“I don’t know” Seven cried.

Lyric moved back and forth in his chair trying to get out of the ropes. He fought so hard his chair fell sideways.

“Now, it’s my turn to have some fun. This is a party after all,” Laura said.

She walked over to the bar and poured herself another drink and when she turned back around she had a drink in one hand and a knife in the other.

She circled around Seven and Legend leaving them to wonder their fate. Lyric watched his sister and friend being taunted by this crazy bitch and tried to get out of the ropes, but it was no use. His eyes widened when he looked past Laura and saw Jonnie’s face in the window. She moved out of site when his eyes locked on hers.

“So, as I told you when you got here, your mother stole my husband and now he’s dead. So, I killed the son of the man who killed him.”

“Uh no!” Legend said matter of factly. “Blade is alive and well, no thanks to you”

“Well” she said continuing to circle around them. “In that case, this time I will make sure the job is done right. Now, given the fact that your mother stole my husband” she said glaring at Seven. “I think it’s only fair that I return the favor and take away the love of your life”

“Don’t, don’t do it, please” Seven begged.

“I loved my husband” Laura was running her finger over the blade of the knife and tiny droplets of blood began to spill. “and you will never get the chance to love yours” She smiled as she slid the knife right into Legend’s side.

“NO!” Seven screamed, “What did you do?”

She pulled the knife out of his side and looked over at her grandson on his side on the floor. “Now, since your father couldn’t make it to our little party, I guess you’ll just have to take his place. Your father stole my daughter.” She knelt down on the floor next to him where he was laying sideways still strapped to the chair. “Your father needs to pay for that mistake, he cost me millions and had me put in jail. I don’t like jail and somebody needs to pay for that”

She lifted her arm and pulled the knife back, but before she got the chance to stab him with it someone screamed.

“GET AWAY FROM HIM!” Jonnie yelled from the doorway. Laura looked over at her and laughed.

“Well, if it isn’t the little girl that nobody loves. You know it’s true, dear. Why would you stop me, none of them care about you. They aren’t your friends, they don’t even like you. You’re the little girl that nobody would play with, the one that always got picked last. I’d kill you instead, but no one would give a shit. So, I’ll stick with him” she said pointing the knife at Lyric.

“no” Jonnie said shaking her head.

“No?” Laura asked. “I wasn’t asking your permission.”

“Get away from him” Jonnie said in a warning tone, but Laura just smiled.

Her smiled seemed to enrage Jonnie and she charged after Laura like a Lion chasing after its prey. She shoved Laura against the wall and pinned her there, but Jonnie’s size was her enemy. Laura was much taller and was able to move the knife.

“Jonnie!” Johnny shouted from the doorway.

“Daddy” she cried as the blood started to drip…