‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 4

Zacky…then and now

When we left of with Zacky, he and Aubrey had just brought home their adopted son, Blade December Baker. As luck would have it, he was born the same night as Matt & Sydney’s twins. Some around the house called them the triplets due to their age and date of birth, but Blade stood out all on his own.

At 5 years old, Blade was a typical little boy. He loved to play hard and get dirty and he loved baseball. Some nights Zacky would sneak him out of bed and let him stay up to watch the night games as long as he promised to be quiet and not wake Aubrey. Of course, they always got caught. Blade was more than a son to Zacky, he was his best friend and to look at them together, you would never know he was adopted.

At 13, Blade changed. It was at that age that Aubrey would be told her cancer was no longer in remission. Unable to deal with the fact that the only mother he has every known could possibly die and his birth mother didn’t love him enough to keep him, he started acting out. He was 14 the first time he was arrested.

At 17, he had a rap sheet that would make his father look like a saint in his day. Even after Aubrey had managed to fight and beat the cancer a second time, he’d already crossed over to the dark side and was never going back. Aubrey was right when she said that their son was going to be a bad boy and Zacky would end up bailing him out of jail one day.

At 21, Blade had come into his looks and had an admirer that no matter how hard he tried just couldn’t get rid of. He played guitar in the same band as Lyric and faced the same torment of having the last name of a famous musician. The only difference was that he didn’t give a fuck what anyone said. His talent spoke volumes and it was enough to shut everyone up. He went through girls like he changed his underwear. Females were just toys to him that he could play with when ever he wanted and throw away when he didn’t like them anymore. Except for the one that just wouldn’t go away and if he dared harm a hair on her head, her father would break his neck. Zacky better have insurance.