‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 47

Brian and Stormy had gone to bed the night of the wedding and Brian reclaimed her love for him over and over again throughout the night. They never did go to sleep, and although they did use their mouths, not a word was spoken.

When the morning came, their bodies were still tangled together covered in sweat. She lay there letting him kiss her lips softly while her hand caressed his cheek. But all good things eventually come to an end as they did when someone started knocking on their door.

“Damn it” he whispered against her lips.

“Don’t answer it,” she said and he kissed her again, but who ever it was, was persistent and started knocking again.

“mmm don’t go anywhere, after I kill who ever is at the door, I’ll be back” He kissed her again before he moved off her and got up off the bed. After putting on a pair of basketball shorts, he walked out to the living room to get the door.

He walked through the living room cursing under his breath and answered the door. On the other side stood a deliveryman holding a dozen red roses and balloons. After Brian put his signature on the clipboard he took the flowers and balloons inside. The name on the card said “Melody”

He walked towards his daughter’s bedroom door. She answered after he knocked and she stood there wondering why he was holding balloons and flowers.

“These came for you” he smiled and handed them to her.

“Those are for me?” she asked confused.

“Yep, there’s a card, but I didn’t read it so I don’t know who they are from” He walked passed her and set the flowers down on the table and let the balloons go and float up to the ceiling.

Melody picked the card out of the flowers and pulled it out of the small envelope.

“It says Happy Valentines Day to the prettiest girl in the whole world. It’s not signed though” she looked at him for answers, but he didn’t have any.

“So, do I need to get out my guns?” he teased.

“Daddy, I swear I don’t know who could have sent them” She shrugged.

“Well, enjoy them sweetheart” he kissed her head and started walking out when she called him back.

“Daddy?”

“Yes, sweetheart?” he said as he turned to face her

“I know I’m grounded, but some of the girls from school are having a softball game in the park. Can I go play too?” she asked hopeful that he would say yes.

“Be home before dark” he’d been hard enough on her and with her gone, he would be alone with Stormy, which is something he was really looking forward too. Melody smiled and ran up and hugged her father before he left.

He closed her door and stood outside it with a smile on his face knowing that he was the one that sent her the balloons and the flowers. It was well worth the smile on her face.

When he walked back to his bedroom his wife was sound a sleep on their bed.

He smiled and shook his head. “Figures” he mumbled and walked over to the bed and pulled the covers up over her before heading in to the bathroom for a shower.

The park….

It was hot under the sun in the park with the only shade being under the trees where the benches were. Melody stood at the batter’s mound ready to swing her bat when she turned to look at the small group sitting on the benches to her left. She spotted Blade sitting there with Charlie. Charlie was a senior, a very well developed senior and she was already 18. She’d been at all of his shows and was one of his favorite groupies.

Melody watched as he laughed at something she said and gripped the bat even tighter when he moved her hair behind her ear.

As she swung the bat it connected with the ball and it flew deep into the field, but was caught and she was out. She threw the bat down and went to sit on the bench with the rest of her team.

When it was time for the other team to be up at bat, Melody took to the pitcher’s mound. She had one of the best throwing arms around and Blade was about to find out just how good she was.

She looked over and saw him whispering something in Charlie’s ear and threw the ball as hard as she could. It knocked him backwards right off the bench. After taking off her baseball glove she threw it down on the ground and ran off in the direction of the mansion.

Stormy had just gotten out of the shower and joined her husband on the couch ready to spend a lazy afternoon with him when Melody ran through the door in tears and went straight to her bedroom.

Brian looked at his wife with concern. “I’ll go this time” she said and went into her daughter’s room.

“Mel?” she called out her daughters name as she approached the bed where her daughter lie on her stomach with her face buried in her pillow.

“Go away, mom” she cried.

Stormy sat down on the bed and put her hand on her daughter’s back. “Melody, what’s the matter?” she asked.

She sat up and wiped her face. “Why are they such jerks?” she said through sobs.

“Who?” Stormy asked

“Boys!”

“Oh, I think this one calls for something extra, I’ll be right back” Stormy got off the bed and walked out into the living room. When she passed Brian she whispered to him that she loved him and went into the kitchen.

Five minutes later she returned to her daughter’s room with a container of rocky road ice cream and two spoons. She sat on the bed and handed her daughter a spoon.

“So, boys are jerks because they are. It’s something us girls have been trying to figure out for centuries, I don’t think I have met anyone who has the answer yet.”

Melody put a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth as her mother spoke. “Dad’s not a jerk, is he?”

Stormy laughed and licked her spoon. “Oh honey, when I met your dad, he was a world class jerk. The kind that really gets under your skin and makes you want to scream at the top of your lungs”

“Daddy?”

“Yep, your father” she smiled. “So, tell me about this jerk. Do I need to send your dad after him?”

Melody stuck her spoon in the ice cream and left it there. “He kissed another girl in front of me.”

“Ooooh the make em jealous jerk. I hate to tell you sweetie, but those are the worst of the lot!”

“Really?” melody asked.

“Yep, the only way to get them back is to play their game”

“What do you mean?”

Stormy smiled and put the ice cream down on the table. “Well, you’ve got to make him jealous back and when he comes around, turn him down. Every time you see him, make sure you look your best and don’t pay him any mind. It will piss him off if you ignore him. It would be even better if you could find another boy to hang out with when he is around. That will really get under his skin.”

“I don’t know any other boys”

“Come on! A pretty girl like you? I’m sure you know a lot of boys, you probably just didn’t notice since all your attention was focused on the jerk.”

“I guess” she said.

“Now, if you are ok, I think I’m going to go see if your dad wants to have some of this ice cream”

“I’m ok” she nodded. “Thanks mom”

“You’re welcome” Stormy smiled and walked out of the room. It was the first time they had really connected as mother and daughter. Therapy seemed to be working because Melody seemed to be making a real effort with her parents.

Stormy sat on her husbands lap and handed him a spoon. “What was that about?” he asked and kissed her shoulder.

“Some boy being a jerk”

“Who was it? I’ll kick his ass” Brian said annoyed that some asshole made his daughter cry.

“Honey, get used to it. She’s 16 there are going to be plenty of boys that are going to make her cry. You can’t beat the hell out of all of them” she smiled and shoved a spoonful of ice cream in his mouth before he could respond.