‹ Prequel: Second Heartbeat
Sequel: Girl I Know

Shattered By Broken Dreams

Chapter 6

Present Day

“Matt you really need to calm down” Sydney said watching him pace back and forth across the living room.

“Don’t tell me to calm down! My daughter is not getting married!”

“She’s our daughter and she’s 21 years old!”

“I don’t care, she’s too young!” He shouted.

“Hello! She is in the room! Remember me?” Seven stood waving her hand at her father.

He turned and put his hands on his hips. “You have no idea what you are doing”

“Mom was 20 went you two got married!”

“That was different! We loved each other” he said.

“Key word dad LOVED. Legend and I love each other!”

“Seven, don’t talk to your father like that” Sydney warned.

“Oh you’re defending him now?”

“Enough already, Seven. I am your father and if you want to continue to live the cushy lifestyle that you’ve grown so accustomed to, you’ll wise up and call off this so called wedding.”

Seven stood up and walked towards the door turning to face her father once more before she left the room.

“I love him and whether you like it or not, we will be married. Now, you can give me your blessing and walk me down the isle or you can continue to treat me like a five year old and I can walk out of your life. The choice is yours, I hope you make the right one”
And with that, she left the room. Matt stood there looking down at the floor.

“Matt, you know it as well as I do that they have loved each other since they were kids. What would be so bad about the two of them getting married?”

He looked at her with the saddest of faces. “She’s my baby, Syd.” His voice cracked as he spoke.

Sydney got up off the couch and walked over to him. She put her arms around his waist and hugged him. “You have to let her go someday.”

--
Matt’s POV – thinking back 16 years

It was Wednesday, Seven’s favorite day. She picked that day because one day she asked me to take her to the store so she could buy a new doll. I asked her when and she said ok and ran out of the room. So, the following morning was a wednesday, she came running into my bedroom and jumped on the bed shouting, “daddy wake up it’s when day.” I cant help but laugh every time I think about that day. So, whenever we planned to do something it was always on Wednesday.

On this particular day, Seven lost a tooth and wasn’t happy about it either. So, I offered to take her anywhere she wanted to go just to cheer her up. She said the only thing that would cheer her up was a tea party. Off we went to the tea house where little girls could have their own private tea parties. Can you imagine me at a tea party?

“Daddy, you don’t fit in the chair,” she said

“Don’t worry about me, Princess. How’s your tea?” I laughed.

“It’s too hot, blow on it daddy”

Can you imagine me blowing on tea for a little girl to cool it off? Yeah, I never imagined that day coming any time soon either, but for her I would do anything.

After Seven had her tea and her heart shaped cookies she wanted to go home and play with her dolls. So, I knelt down beside her and wiped the crumbs off her face and then helped her put her coat on.

“Daddy?”

“Yes, Princess?”

“When I grow up, I’m gonna marry you!” she said and put her arms around my neck.

I laughed and hugged her back. “You can’t marry me honey, I am married to mommy”
“But daddy, I love you this much!” she said holding her arms out wide to show me how much she loved me. “I’m never gonna leave you, daddy!”

--

“I can’t, Syd.”

She rubbed his back and looked up at his face. “You know no one will ever replace you in her eyes.”

“I know, but I just can’t let her go”