Can I Hold You?

Show Time

"Let's go, let's go. What's taking you so long?" Ella bugs me.
"Hold on, I'm just. . . "
"Fixing your hair, adding eyeliner, what is it now?" she murmurs.
"Done." I say as we leave my house.
"Do we have your brother's car tonight?" she asks.
"No, he's with his girlfriend tonight. We get to take the bus." I mutter as I look at my watch. "It should be here soon." We walk down to the corner and await the bus.

We get to the club and there's a band on stage, but it's not Green Day.
"Don't tell me we missed them." I mutter.
"Don't worry; this band is probably the first of the evening." Ella reassures me. A few more ands play then finally Green Day.
"Oh, oh! There's Mike!" I say excitedly.
"So you know his name?" Ella asks laughing.
"I over-heard the singer call him that." I say innocently.
"Oh yeah." Ella says recalling the diner outburst. "So how do plan on going about this?"
"Umm, I'll umm wing it." I say cowering.
"Jeez you're pathetic."
"Shut-up." I mutter as we go silent to listen to them play.
"They're pretty good."
"You got that right." I say as I go back to cheering. "Oh, oh. They're coming off stage!"
"Well go for it." Ella says pushing me in their direction.

"Hey you're from the diner." Mike says coming up to me.
"Yeah." I say shyly.
"I'm Mike by the way." He says awkwardly.
"I'm Anastasia."
"So can I buy you a drink or something?" He says nervously, I can see the Billie guy nudge him in the back.
"Sure." I say happily.
"So Anastasia, that's a mouthful." He says in an attempt to make conversation.
"You can call me Ana then." I say as we sit at the bar.
"Okay Ana, so why'd you come to the diner two days in a row?" he asks smirking.
"Well, to tell you the truth when I bumped into you I thought you were hot." I say nervously, he just laughs.
"I was hoping I'd get to see you again, to tell you the truth. Billie had a field day mocking me."
"Billie, he's the lead singer right?"
"Yeah, and Tre's our drummer." Mike says nodding. "So what would you like to drink?"
"Beer" I say casually.
"Don't have my id." Mike mutters embarrassed.
"Under twenty-one as well," I ask.
"Yeah, by two years," he says shrugging.
"I'm under by three," I say shrugging. "Cola I guess."
"Two cokes!" Mike yells to the bartender.
"So how long have you guys been in a band?" I ask casually.
"Umm well Billie and I met in fifth grade and we started messing around with guitars a little bit later then we started a band when we were like fifteen with this guy name John and then he ditched us to go to college and that's when we adopted Tre."
"Adopted?" I ask laughing.
"Well yeah, Billie's like my brother." Mike says laughing as well, "Tre's like our pet."
"Your pet?" I ask amused.
"If you meet Tre you'll know what I'm talking about." He says laughing, "And we've just recorded our first album."
"That's awesome," I say slightly in awe.
"Not really, the sound is shit and we tour in a bookmobile," he says chuckling.
"Still, you're touring. That's pretty awesome right there," I say as the bartender hands us two cans of coke.
"Yeah, I guess."

"Ana, we have to leave!" Ella hisses at me.
"What? Why?" I ask as she pulls me away from the bar.
"Wait! Can I get your number or something?!" Mike yells after me, but Ella's already got me out the door.
"What the hell was that all about?!" I say angrily.
"I'm sorry but this greasy old guy started coming onto me and he wouldn't leave me alone." She says on the verge of tears.
"What about Mike?" I say angrily as she pulls me by the arm to the bus stop.
"We'll go to the diner tomorrow," she says as the bus pulls up to the corner.
"We really got along," I said dreamily.
"I got a guy's phone number." She teases, "But he had to leave early."
"Oh," I say cautiously.
"Yeah, his name is Andrew and he's in his first year of college."
"Nice." I say as we take our seats on the bus.
"He's a total babe too," she says smirking.
"Perv."
"Maybe," she says laughing.

That night I fall asleep thinking about Mike and I couldn't wait to go to the diner the next day.