Can I Hold You?

Out the Window

A few days later I'm just sitting in my room listening to music as rain drizzled outside.
"Bored, bored, bored." I mutter to myself, hoping the rain will stop. Finally the rain dies out and I grab a towel and climb up onto the roof. As I unroll the towel on the roof my foot slides from under me and I skid down over the rain gutters.
BAM!
I hit the ground with a huge impact. The fall knocked the wind out of me, for a moment I couldn't even breath. All I could do is let out a faint whine. I look down at me legs which have two huge gashes on each from the gutter. I can't even move my right leg. I lie there for about fifteen minutes in utter pain until my mom's car pulls into the driveway.

She steps out of the car with a grocery bag in her hand.
"Mom." I manage to croak.
"Ana! Oh my god! What happened?" She screeches. She runs up to the front door, "Chris! Chris! Get out here quick!" Chris runs out of the house and sees me lying on the ground.
"Holy fuck."
"Okay I'll take her legs; you pick her up by her torso." My mother instructs. "We'll put her in the back seat of the car." My brother comes up behind me and lifts me from under my arms.
"OWE!" I can't help but scream out as they carry me into the car.

They drive me to the ER where they put stitches to close the gashes in my leg and then take me for X-rays.
"Anastasia is it?" the doctor asks as he walks into the waiting room with a folder.
"Yeah." I wince.
"Well, your right leg is broken; you'll have a cast for about three weeks."
"Three weeks!" I gasp.
"Yeah, I know, the rest of the summer." He says shaking his head, "come we'll apply the cast now." The nurse pushes my wheel chair into a small white room.

"So how did this happen?" the doctor asks as he applies the cast. My mom is standing is the corner with her hand cupped over her mouth.
"Well when it stopped raining, I opened my window and the gutter started dripping into my room. So I was just going to unclog that part of the gutter so I climbed up on the window sill and fell." I say hoping that sounded believable.
"Ahh okay." The doctor says nodding, "Well you're done here. I strongly suggest you stay off your feet until the gashes heal."
"Alright." I say a little upset.

We get home and my brother lifts me onto the wheel chair my mom rented from the hospital. I feel so useless. Mike's truck pulls up to the front of the house and he runs out.
"Ana what happened?" he asks worriedly.
"She fell out her window." Chris says evilly.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I guess." I say shrugging. Shrugging was a bad idea, my shoulder still hurt. Mike follows us into the house.
"You should lie down." My mother says as my brother pushes me into the house.
"What, I'm not carrying her up the stairs!" Chris yelps.
"I'll carry you." Mike says as he puts one arm under my shoulder. He was the first person all day to talk directly to me, my mom and brother kept talking as if I were an object.
"Chris, help . . . . I'm sorry I didn't get your name." my mother says casually.
"It's Mike." He says as my brother lifts my legs and they carry me up the stairs.

They place me on my bed and my brother walks out of my room muttering to himself.
"You fell off the roof, didn't you?" Mike says smiling.
"Yeah, you were right when you told me I'd fall one day." I say shaking my head.
"So how long do you have the cast on for?"
"Three weeks." I say rolling my eyes.
"That sucks, will you be able to walk with crutches?" Mike asks hopefully.
"Yeah, once the gashes heal." I say as I lift up the leg of my shorts to show the stitches.
"Hmm." Mike says looking at the stitches with interest.
"What?"
"Stitches are much sexier than tattoos." Mike says nodding.
"Maybe for you." I say rolling my eyes.
"Here's your wheel chair." Chris says pushing the chair into my room.

"Guess I can't go to your gigs for a while." I say as I attempt to sit up.
"Yeah, I guess not." He says as he helps me up and sits next to me and puts his arm over my shoulders. "We can still have fun."
"What's that mean?" I say laughing, "I don't think constant sex is an option." I pat my cast.
"Yeah, you're right." Mike says laughing, "Hmm, platonic fun then?"
"Platonic fun! Wow, umm we can play chess."
"Nah. I'll bring a T.V. here and we'll watch movies and stuff." Mike says nodding.
"Where are you going to get a T.V.?" I ask laughing.
"I'll take the one from my apartment."
"What about Tre and Billie?"
"I'll leave them a couple of doobies and they'll entertain themselves."
"Oh okay."
"I'll be back." He says as he kisses me lightly and leaves my room.