Last Angel On Earth

Axiom.

Knock. Knock.

He was flipping channels when the sound startled him. He set down his beer and walked to the front door.

There she was. Vulnerable and helpless with tears yearning to leap from her eyes and sprint across her cheeks. She kept it all in. Or at least she tried to. She wanted to be strong and could not bare the thought of him seeing her like this, but it was no use.

He wore a look of sympathy, nodded and let her in without hesitation. She stepped in from the thundering mess and entered his comforting two-bedroom home.

"Sit. Tell me what's going on," he said in almost a whisper.

"I'm so s-sorry, Raine. I-I broke my promise. I d-don't d-deserve you," she replied with her eyes to the ground and sobbed.

"Don't you dare say that. Never say that."

He put his arms around her attempting to shield her from everything. He held his angel tightly hoping to repair her dismembered wings that snapped on the way from heaven (if there really is such a thing).

"I'm not good enough," she croaked between breaths.

"Oh Lacey. Look at me. Please?" he begged.

She stared into his hazel moons and saw everything: Shattered dreams. Suffocating ambition. Dying faith he wished to restore. Then he said it; Three words every being longs to hear in a moment of self-doubt and misery.

"You are beautiful."

She shook her head in disbelief unsure of how anyone, yet alone the boy in front of her, could see her as more than a rotting turmoil trapped inside human skin. To her mind it was unclear how a person could view her in such a way while she could only think the opposite of herself.

He placed his hands on her wrist and her breathing became light. If anybody else were to lay a finger on her like this she would pull away in a heartbeat, but this wasn't the case. Not with him. She figuratively let him in like he had literally let her in moments before. He understood.

She nodded and pulled her sleeve unveiling lines cut straight as if time were taken to make them perfect. He tried to suck in the sorrow. He wanted to remain strong for her like she tried to do so for him, but it was no use. The rain fell from his sky just as she fell from the clouds.

She could no longer look at him knowing she was the one who caused him pain. She rested her head on his shoulder and inhaled his scent as if it were a drug stripping away all traces of affliction. He kissed her forehead and the tears began to fade.

"How can I keep my promise if I know you'll keep forgiving me?" she whispered.

"I don't forgive you. I love you. There's a difference."

They shut their eyes and slipped into each others dreams with nothing more than a barely audible television flickering infront of them. They were both crippled, hurt and feeble in an unfair world, but both in the arms of someone to fall apart with and someone to mend with.

Fin.