Status: Editing some of the chapters, and writing new ones. Leave lots of comments.

When Angels Cry Blood

Chapter Eight: Confusion (Plan in Motion)

“You are late, Isabella. Was I not clear in my instructions this morning,” Jac’s voice boomed throughout my room as I opened the door.

“I tried to warn her, Jac, but she was just too,” Gabriel’s voice started but he was quickly cut off.

“Silence, Gabriel,” Jac’s voice loomed. “If you cannot report on time I’ll be forced to punish you. Is that clear, Isabella.”

“Yes, sir,” I answered with a slight curtsy.

I’d never heard Jac so angry before. I remembered he said that reporting would be when I called, but when he found out that I had a confrontation with Xavier it became mandatory to report when Jac gave notice. I didn’t want to speak without permission, Gabe was just staring at me, and Jac wasn’t speaking so I took a deep breath. I opened my mouth with words on the tip of my tongue when Jac finally spoke again.

“I know that you’ve compromised your mission with that little story you told,” Jac spoke angrily. I glanced at Gabe to see confusion spread across his face. He didn’t hear the conversation then?

“I, uh,” I started but I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know how to respond because I had given Xavier direct access with that boyfriend story to both Alex and myself.

“You, uh, nothing,” Jac’s voice spat.

“I’m positive that he’s not interested in the girl, Jac,” I stated firmly. I couldn’t help but to think of Xavier’s words—‘ You shouldn't always do what you're told, love. Sometimes beings may surprise you.’

“What makes you think so,” Jac asked a little more calmly.

“Something Xavier said during our first meeting,” I answered as the words sometimes beings may surprise you ran through my head.

“And what did he say,” Jac asked snidely.

“He asked if I thought I should be protecting her. I told him yes, and he seemed pleased with that. It was almost as if if was happy that something was working for him. His exact words were, ‘Sometimes beings may surprise you,” I answered as Xavier’s words continued through my brain. It was almost as if he wanted me.
“His behavior has changed since your confrontation,” Jac admitted. “It almost seems as if he is following you around, Isabella.” Silence fell over the room. It seemed like an eternity passed when Jac finally spoke again.

“Gabriel, I want you to watch over Isabella and Alex. Be silent, be invisible, and most importantly do not let Xavier or the other demons know you are there.”

“Yes sir,” Gabe answered with a curt bow.

“If anything suspicious happens report back to me immediately,” Jac stated as he dismissed us. Gabe and I agreed to report any suspicions. And that was the end of our meeting.

Narrator’s POV

Xavier waited by the apartment building entrance. He needed to speak to her. The angel that he let escape. Yes, she may think that she was rescued by the hand of God, but that Jac angel was no more of a match for him than a mere human. She, on the other hand...there was something about her that wasn’t quite right.

Pedestrians began to walk quickly down the sidewalks as the sun began to fade into the rising buildings. Dusk settled over the city as he waited. Car horns beeped impatiently while waiting in traffic. Xavier couldn’t remember a time that he felt more alone. Except for once when he was sired. He quickly shook the memory from his head. He did not hire those pathetic, lowly, disgusting demons to follow around a girl for nothing.

She was important to him. Xavier didn’t know her name, but he knew her scent. He knew her laugh, her smile, and every beautiful feature on her face. His favorite was her eyes. Those bright gray eyes that were absolutely the picture of perfection were the images painted on the backs of his eyelids.

A cool breeze sent a chill down his already frozen spine. He slipped his hood onto his head as he waited. The apartment building door swung open, but what made this time unique was the fact that he could hear the music of her footfalls. The muffled thudding of her converse hitting the cement, the irregular steps she took, seemed so familiar. It was almost like home.

Xavier was about to turn and start following her until he felt it was the right time to talk to her when he realized someone was walking with her. He turned slightly so that one of his eyes could view his precious angel. She was walking with a man.

The man seemed more sophisticated than a normal human. He walked with grace, and he kept a careful eye on her. Xavier inhaled deeply as he tried to catch the scent of the man. The soft breeze floated gently to Xavier’s nostrils, and it hit him. That man walking with his angel was the man she said she was in love with. Xavier didn’t recognize the scent, or the sounds of the man, but he would never forget the new information.

Xavier pulled out a cell phone and hit his speed dial number four. The phone rang three times and he hung up. As promised his cell phone started to ring. He waited one…two…three, “I have an issue.”

A distorted voice answered, “you have a lot of those, X.”

“She’s with someone. Another angel, I think,” he stated as he gritted his teeth and ignored the previous comment.

“Another angel… Do you know which angel,” the voice asked a little more interested.

“No, I’ve never dealt with him. I believe he’s protecting her.”

“Did you,” the voice growled, “tip her off?!”

“No,” he snapped. He knew he said something to her, but he never thought she would figure anything out.

“They know something,” the voice hissed. “I don’t know how they got the information, but you need to find out what they know.”

“I don’t know how close I can…” Xavier trialed off as the voice growled loudly.

“I don’t care what you don’t know. You promised me. Now, get the job done before I have to step in!” The phone line went dead.

“What have I done,” Xavier scolded himself as he started off into the direction of the angels.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the new chapter. I hope you guys enjoy it. Leave me comments.