Over You

Impact

Chris was running through the halls in between classes. He was looking for someone, someone who seemed to be avoiding him. Her name was Aileen, and she’d broken up with him only twenty-some hours ago. He had to talk to her. Sometimes he’d think he’d seen a flash of her auburn hair among the crowd of heads, but it was simply his imagination. It had taken him almost ten minutes and suddenly the chase was over with the resounding bell. He walked into the classroom, was handed a tardy slip, and took a seat in the back row. As the teacher droned on, Chris pulled out his phone and began texting her number over and over. She didn’t respond. It was the last class of the day and he resolved to find her before she left campus. The class continued for forever it seemed, but when the bell rang, Aileen was nowhere to be found.
Walking to his car, he hung his head and sighed, dialing her number again. No answer. Twice more he had the same result. This was becoming too much. He needed to see her, just talk to her. So he drove to her home. He knocked, and she wouldn’t open up. He rang the doorbell, still no answer. Her light was on, her car was in the driveway. She was there. He knew she was there and he had to see her. Looking at the pattern of jutting rocks that made up her home, he thought ‘I can climb that’ and so he did. He knocked on her window, but she simply closed the shade in his face. Why wouldn’t she listen?
He jumped down, twisting his ankle in the process, and gave up for the day. When he entered the house, he went straight to his voicemail machine. No new messages, no missed calls. She didn’t even care. He had to wonder why he cared so much when she cared so little. No matter. He wasn’t over her, and refused to leave it alone. She would be his.
Up in his room, pictures of him and Aileen adorned his walls. Tearing them all down, he ripped them apart and threw them away. He didn’t have to care. Nobody was forcing him to. So he stopped. Who was he kidding, of course he cared. They used to be so in sync, he couldn’t understand what had come between them.
Looking out his window, Chris saw Aileen’s car speed by his house, and through her sunroof he could see there was somebody in her passenger’s seat. Running down his stairs and through his door, he got into his car to follow her. Eventually he found her, and she certainly wasn’t alone. She was in the arms of some other guy. This was the final straw. He couldn’t take it. So off he went in an angry daze to find some girl to distract him from these crazy emotions. He’d go to the mall and find some random chick. That’d get Aileen off his mind. He saw a sign for Mall Boulevard, with an arrow to his right. He swerved in that direction, without noticing the words “1/4 Mile.” Nobody believed what they saw. Impact. And it was all gone.
He was certainly over her now.