The Devil's Hole

01/01

It lashes out. It's malevolence is almost palpable, and most who pass by Niagara Gorge in New York can feel it. It's not just the horror stories that keep your kids away at night, it the mystery behind each story. It's the uneasiness that swallows your being every time you are near.

It was a demon sent straight back to Earth from the deepest confinements of Hell. A demon so large, so strong that if it were allowed to feed from the souls in Hell, it would've become stronger than the Devil himself.

The Devil locked it in a dank pit in a land that was not yet settled. He placed a rock over the hole to lock him in. The Devil was not looking out for the people on Earth because he had a heart. No, that's nonsense. He was simply keeping him from becoming more and more powerful. Nobody was to surpass the strength of the Devil. Nobody was allowed to feed from the spirits of condemned souls, not unless you were the Devil himself.

The Devil's plan worked for quite awhile, and the hex he cast upon the demon sent him into a deep sleep that lasted for centuries. When you're a new Keeper of Hell like the Devil was, centuries is a long time. Unfortunately, it was not long enough.

The rock was pushed aside by an avalanche before Pangaea had broken up, but the demon remained in his endless sleep. People began slowly moving into this country and their settling became more and more advanced. Eventually, a railroad was built very close to the entrance to the cave, but most people kept away. They could feel that something was just a bit left-of-center here.

The Seneca Indians that felt an obligation to this 'devil spirit' lived nearby. When unknowing explorers came to search the area, the Indians warned them never to cross the path of Devil's Hole. They could feel the unearthly tremors that shook the Earth. The demon was awakening and he was thirsting for blood.

The settlers would never listen to Indians, even if they could understand their jibberish language. They paid no heed to the silly, uneducated natives and explored dangerously close to the Hole. The demon was angered as he sensed the presence of the humans. He had made a blood pact with all the Indians of the Seneca tribe. No one was to cross his territory, not unless he was to kill them and quench his thirst upon the sanity of the rest of the tribe.

It lashed out and caught the explorers. They were too far away for the demon to be able to destroy them, but he did forever instill a curse upon them. They were later assassinated in Texas. The still-groggy demon lapsed back into it's sleep and did not wake until nearly a century later.

A convoy of English soldiers was passing by Devil's Hole. The demon, who had bestowed a curse on the Seneca's, was awoken by the sounds of battle. The natives had attacked the English soldiers out of sheer bloodlust and killed hundreds of them in their insanity. Two more convoys came to aid the dying soldiers, but the demon had cursed them. The Seneca's easily destroyed the English forces. Only three soldiers were left alive.

That day, the river near the Gorge ran red with the soldier's blood, tainted to appease the hungry demon. The natives ran around like the crazed maniacs they were, whooping and holding up the scalps of the soldiers as a trophy of their kills.

The demon's most horrifically satisfying kill was that of a young five-year-old girl. Another century later, he was awoken by the shrill singing of the girl. She was searching for flowers for her sick mother. Her father was depressed and taking care of her. The girl didn't understand what was going on, but she knew some pretty flowers could take care of anything.

So there she was, searching the dead ground for flowers. The demon knew this would be satisfying and would have a great affect on those in her life. So as she neared, the demon lashed out his immense power. It caught her ankle and latched itself there. The girl, caught off guard, fell onto her bottom with a little puff of frustration. She didn't begin to fear anything until she couldn't get back up.

As the demon dragged her nearer and nearer to the cliff of his hole, the girl began sniffling and crying. She called for Mommy and Daddy to come save her, but she had ventured a little too far from home for them to hear her wails.

When she was close enough to the edge, he whipped her inside. Her screams echoed off the stone walls as she fell 150 long feet to her splattered death on the damp stones of the cave's floor. When her mother found out, she cried herself to death. Her father hung himself from the rafters in their house out of grief.

All in all, this demon has caused the deaths of important people, such as a President. He's also caused many accidents involving the railroad tracks that dared to run close to his territory.

Soon, though, the demon's power began to wane and he was no longer killing each soul who curiously stepped too close. Though he didn't kill them, he did leave them mentally disturbed and paranoid. All of them died by their greatest fears.

Some people mask the truth with tall tales. The truth of this matter is: the Devil and the demon are meeting together once again, trying to reconcile terms upon which the demon could be let back into Hell or left to remain on Earth. Until those matters are solved, I do not advise coming anywhere near Devil's Hole.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finished. Enjoy and comment. (:
xoxo