Status: Complete ]: Prequel?

Please Don't Forgive Me

Chapter Thirty-Two: My Heart

“No, Garrett, I promise I’m fine,” I said quickly through the phone.

“You don’t sound fine,” he added. I wiped the pure worry from my voice before answering him again.

“I’m fine. I swear.” I inhaled deeply and sorted through the mail piled on the counter. I turned on the coffee maker and sat down at the counter.

“I still don’t believe you. Swear on my life.” I knew I couldn’t do that, because if he dropped dead then it would be all my fault.

“I can’t do that Garrett but I promise you it isn’t a big deal,” I lied. I sunk into my seat and glanced over at the bag that was silently glaring at me. I had been in this situation before, right? Wrong. This time I wouldn’t know what to do.

“If its not a big deal then just tell me,” he sighed.

“Garrett, I love you, but not now. I’ll talk to you later alright? I’ve gotta go.”

“Alright, talk to you later. Love you.”

“Love you too,” I replied as I hung up. I looked back over at the bag on the counter, willing it to burst into flames so I could just forget about it. But no, that would never happen. I sighed loudly as I walked into the bathroom, bag in tow. I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t want to know.

I read the instructions and took the test. I had no choice but to take the pregnancy test. I was a month late. As much as I just wanted to ignore it, I knew I couldn’t.

I didn’t particularly want to be pregnant—especially if Garrett probably wouldn’t be here. I didn’t really want another abortion if I was. I mean, I loved Garrett and I would instantly love anything that was part of him; I would instantly love his child.

When the test came up positive I can’t say that I was surprised. I knew in the back of my mind. I had known all along. Now, though, sitting on the counter in the bathroom, holding the test in my hand, this seemed to be a whole new kind of real. It was more real than the last time simply because I didn’t know what to do this time.

A few tears had begun to escape my eyes as my phone started ringing. The call would be from Garrett for sure. He could tell that I was worse than I had been just by instinct. I choked out my hello and he said nothing, waiting for an explanation for my sobs. “Just say something Garrett. Just stay on the phone so I can hear your voice,” I begged.

“What’s wrong?” he asked softly. “What happened?” I shook my head even though he couldn’t hear. “Are you okay? Do you need me?” I stared at the phone in my hand shocked. He had asked if I needed him back here.

“I don’t know,” I sobbed. “I don’t know anymore. Garrett, I don’t know what to do,” I cried.

“What don’t you know what to do about?” he asked concerned. “Anika, what’s going on?”

“I don’t know what to do about the baby; about our baby. I don’t know what to do Garrett. What am I supposed to do?” The tears wouldn’t stop falling now and I was gasping for air.

“I’ll get someone to fill in for me. I’ll be there in five and a half hours,” he said rushed.

“Garrett, you don’t have to.” I had made my way into his room and curled up with one of his pillows.

“You need me Anika. You need me, and I’ll be there for you.” I gripped my cell phone tighter. “I love you. I have to go. I’ll see you soon.”

“I love you too,” I said as he hung up. I could picture him now. He would be running around like a crazy person throwing stuff in his duffel bag. His eyes would be wide and he wouldn’t be forming coherent sentences. He would be going into overprotective mode, but in his frantic rush he would look like a boy. He would be like a seven year old trying to act like an adult. I had no choice but to let a small laugh escape my lips.

--------------------♥--------------------

I had passed out soon after getting off the phone with Garrett, so I didn’t hear when he came in around midnight. He woke me gently and I could see the bags under his eyes. He climbed into bed wrapping his arms around my body. He placed his hands on my still flat stomach and I put mine on top of his. He kissed my cheek and settled his head right above my shoulder. We fell asleep that way and if only for that night, everything was fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, not exactly how I wanted to write that scene, but it kind of wrote itself. I had been debating on whether or not to incorporate that into the story, but decided to throw caution to the wind and write it in. Anyway....Read, comment, subscribe--The usual.
<333 Love, Jaylee
PS I started writing something else too, and I might have some of it up over the weekend. I would say tomorrow, but I have a massive English paper and an equally massive migraine. :).