newborn vampire

Chapter 5

that Ethan was staring at me.

*** Stella's POV ***

Ethan was acting different. Quiet. He was never quiet. I'll have to ask him about it when were alone. But right now we were giving a tour of the campus grounds to Alex. 

"Hey. I'm going to go get a look at the books in the library. I'll meet up with you two later.", Alex said as she walked away. Which meant I could talk to Ethan now. I turned around and saw him nodding his head to the music coming from his oversized headphones. 

I skilled then walked over to him and poked his side. He jumped a little then smirked and took off his headphones. "Where'd what's-her-face go?"

"Her names Alex retard. And she went to the library."

"Ew. Books." I rolled my eyes and sat down on the grass. I patted the grass next to me and Ethan shook his head. "Let's go by that tree. I don't feel comfortable out in the open when it's night." 

I laughed then stood up. "You're supposed to be a vampyre. Ya know, creature of the night. How could you not like the dark?" 

"It's not that I don't like it. I just don't feel safe is all. Oh, why am I explaining myself to you? Come on." 

We walked over to a nearby tree and sat underneath it. Now that I was thinking about it, this was the only tree I've seen on campus. I don't know why, but that just seemed off to me. Like it didn't fit right. Oh well. It was probably nothing. 

Ethan leaned over and put his arm around me as I moved closer to him. He was still quiet. Almost like he wasn't even there. But I could feel his heartbeat. And hear him breathing slowly. He smelled great too. 

Is it weird that I noticed that? Is it weird that he's the last thing I think about before I go to sleep? Or maybe because his voice is the only thing that cheers me up when I'm feeling my worst. Ethan was amazing in every aspect of the word. He deserved better. Way better then me. 

"Hey, what's the matter with you?" 

I looked up at him, a bit startled. "Nothing. Why?"

"You've been really quiet. You usually like sitting out here." 

"I do.", I said then looked down because I noticed he was looming back at me. 

"Yeah well you're not acting normal. You sure you're not on drugs?" He smirked at the end of his sentence then stuck out his tongue. 

"I am not on drugs!" I couldn't help but laugh. Ethan did that to me. 

"If you say so..."

"I wanted to ask you about that."

Ethan looked confused then asked, "About being on drugs?"

I shook my head then replied, "No. Wait. You're not on drugs are you?"

"Uh no? You mean besides the crazy juice I drink every morning? Then no. I'm not on drugs." 

We both laughed then I looked at him and he had a question mark look spread across his face. When I finally spoke I said,"Ethan, what's wrong with you? You were acting weird and were all quiet all day. What's wrong?" 

He looked at me then shook his head as if he was just debating to tell me or not. "It's nothing."

"You're such a liar. Why can't you tell me? You're my best friend. Were supposed to be able to trust each other."

"I trust you."

Angry, I stood up. "Then why can't you tell me?!"

"Because."

"Because? Really? Wow. Fine. Whatever I'm gone." I started to walk away then I felt Ethan's hand holding mine. "Let go."

"No. Will you please listen to me?"

"No. Now leave me alone." He sighed then finally let go. I stormed to my room and didn't even notice that Alex was siting on her bed with what looked like a giant ball of fur. 

"What is that?" , I asked when I was sure my voice wouldn't hint that I was on the verge of tears. 

"A cat silly." She was so perky. It kinda mad me wanna puke. 

"Well why's it here?" 

"I was walking out of the library and it was standing in front of me. She's so cute! But I didn't know who's she was so I asked around. They told me that when a cat chooses you, you're theirs." 

"Hmph. Whatever."

"You don't have a cat?"

"No. What am I going to do with a stupid cat? Nothing. Now goodnight." I turned off the light next to my bed and tried to calm down enough to go to sleep.