Status: Actively Active. (:

Baby, You're So Gone.

She Said She's Gotta Get So Far Gone.

I walked beside Eric to the small and only supermarket we had in town. Nick had been busy with the mechanics so I had had nothing to do and wanted to feel somewhat helpful. So I decided to go along with Eric. He was pretty fun to talk to if you knew what to talk about. He was like a brother to me, almost.

As we passed through the sliding doors I took the list from Eric’s hand and looked it over. “Okay, you go get the milk, soda – mountain dew please – and the chips; I’ll get the rest, ‘kay?” I looked up at his face and raised my eyebrows. Eric nodded and set off in the wrong direction, then changed his direction.

I chuckled at him and pulled a cart from the stack and wheeled down the first isle. I was looking for bread and then eggs – possibly some pancake batter so I could make it for the boys. I whistled a tune to myself, the one Nick dubbed ‘Annabelle’s song’. I had been whistling it ever since I was a kid; something I had learned from my father. It was a cheerful tune and it always made me happy when I sang it.

I scanned the isles and grabbed the pancake batter from the shelf, then remembered I had to get not one, but two glasses of maple syrup. Those boys ate like they had spent a month away from food; it amazed me really, the way they inhaled it.

Smiling to myself I kept going down the aisles, looking for everything that was on the list.

“Annabelle?” I heard a familiar voice call.

I looked back and saw my mother there, surprisingly alone. I stared at her in shock, forgetting how to use my voice. I didn’t know what to say or if I should say anything. I could always just ignore her.

“W—what are you doing here?” I stuttered, cursing myself mentally.

“Groceries.” She smiled her crinkly smile and I was reminded of the mother I used to have – the mother who actually treated me like a daughter.

I nodded and forced a half smile. She walked towards me, tucking a strand of her dyed blonde hair behind her ear. “Listen, I’m…” She paused and half-smiled. “I’m getting married- a small ceremony tonight at the cottage and I’d really like it if you were there.”

My mouth dropped open; did I really just hear that? “Whoa, whoa – back up. You’re what?” I asked, my voice rising.

Mom smiled and put a hand on my shoulder. “I’m getting married.”

I shrugged her hand off and backed away from her. “No – don’t touch me.” I looked at her in disgust, wondering where this came from.

“Sweetie, what’s wrong?” How could she pretend that everything was okay? That we didn’t have a fight, that she didn’t kick me out, that her boyfriend didn’t try to hurt me? She was insane, this woman – how on Earth was I related to her?

“You’re getting married; that’s what’s wrong!” I shrieked.

She sniffed and fluffed up her hair. “I wasn’t aware that it was your decision.”

I shook my head and took a few more steps away from her. “Do whatever you want, Ma. I’m done.”

Without another word, I turned my back on her and went to find Halvo.

---

“Annie- did you get everything?” Eric asked as I approached him. “Whoa, what’s wrong?” He asked, finally looking at me and my appearance.

“Can we get out of here, please?” I asked, feeling as broken as I probably looked.

Concern flooded his eyes and he nodded, ditching his things and walking with me out of the supermarket. It was hard to walk slowly, to walk with Eric when all I wanted to do was run away. I needed to get away from this town, but it was harder than it looked. All I could think about was Nick.

As we got to the tour bus, anxiety rushed through me. I didn’t know what was causing all of this but I hated this feeling—it was suffocating.

“Annie, what happened?” Nick asked, stepping off the bus and coming straight to me. He looked at Halvo and narrowed his eyes. “What did you do to her?”

Eric held his hands up in surrender. “I didn’t even do anything!”

“It wasn’t him,” I said, shaking my head.

“That’s right.” Eric muttered.

“It was my Mom.” I choked out. “She’s getting married.” I explained bitterly.

Sympathy was all I could see in Nick’s brown eyes and I flinched away from it—I didn’t want sympathy, I just wanted to get out of here.

“I’m guessing you don’t want to go?” He raised his eyebrows.

I shook my head and wrapped my arms around his waist, placing my head against his chest—loving the way I could feel and hear his heartbeat. “I just want to get out of here.” I said truthfully, my voice muffled by his flannel shirt.

“We can arrange that—tomorrow morning and we’re gone, babe.” His arms went around me, holding me tightly against him.

For some reason, I had a feeling tomorrow wouldn’t be soon enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are love<3

thirty eight subscribes; who are you? (: