‹ Prequel: Backstage

Center Stage (Into the Future)

Surprise?

“Billie, you can’t change what you did in the past. All you can do now is go back down there and spend as much time with them as you can until you go on tour again,” Adrienne said to Billie. They had gone upstairs to talk about everything that was going on.

“Remember how bad I felt when I wasn’t there when you were pregnant with them?” Billie said from the bed. He looked ever at her as she sat down next to him. “How could I forget. You were almost in tears when you realized how much I went through with out you,” she said holding his hand. Billie nodded. “This is so much worse,” he said. Adrienne looked over at him.

“How?” Billie sighed.

“I don’t know, I just feel like I missed them growing up,” he said sadly.

“But they love you. Jakob tackled you to the ground when he saw you.
He faked the death of a family member to get out of school early just so he could see you. The teacher actually thought he was crying,” Adrienne said. Billie gave a small smile and put his arm around Adrienne.

“I love you,” he said.

“I love you too,” she said kissing him on the cheek.

“Come on, the boys think that you’re going crazy,” she said pulling him to his feet. Billie nodded glumly and began to fake a cry.

“I’m not a good father,” he joked putting his head on Adrienne’s shoulder.

“Oh shut up you big cry baby. Go spend time with your kids,” she said smacking him in the butt to get him moving. Billie laughed.

“Thank you, Miss Sympathy,” he said heading down the stairs.

“Any time,” she said right behind him.

A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door. Adrienne went to answer it. Sami stood in the doorway.

“Hey Adie,” she said with a smile.

“Hey Sami.”

“I came to ask you about that party thing that we’re having tomorrow for Billie, Mike and Tre,” Sami said.

‘Ooo, she doesn’t know,’ Adrienne thought. She smiled.

“Umm, I don’t think that we’re going to be having a party anymore,” Adrienne said, quickly trying to hide her smile. Sami looked confused.

“How come?” she asked.

Billie didn’t miss a beat.

“Hey Sami,” he said appearing from around the door. Sami screamed in surprise and then in excitement.

“BILLIE!” she screamed and took a flying leap into a hug.

“Oof!” Billie grunted as he fell over. “Why does everyone knock me over!” Billie said with a laugh.

“Sorry, buddy,” Sami said with a laugh. She stood up and grabbed Billie’s hand to hoist him off the ground.

“Thanks."

“Welcome,” she said grabbing him for another hug. Joey walked into the kitchen flipping his cell phone shut.

“Jeez Dad, each time a girl comes to the door she gets a hug. Each time we try to give you a hug you force us off of you,” he said with a fake pout. Sami laughed. He looked so much like Billie when he did that.

“No really, I’ll be fine. I’ll just go to Kaylee and tell her all my sorrows,” he said sarcastically putting his hand to his forehead and giving a sigh. Billie laughed. “Ok king for a day,” he said. Joey shot him a look.

“Oh shut up,” he said. Joey walked over to the door and pulled his keys off of the hook.

“I’m gonna go pick up Kaylee. Katie and Nikky are coming over too, right?” Joey asked before leaving.

“They are now,” Sami said smiling at him. Joey nodded.

“Is it ok if I bring my band over dad?” Joey asked. Billie shrugged

“I don’t care.” Joey smiled.

“Ok, they’re gonna freak out. See you in a few minutes.” And with that he was out the door. Billie leaned against the door jam and watched as he pulled out of the driveway. He shook his head slowly.

“How long have they been going out again?” Billie asked as he closed the door and turned to Adie and Sami. Adrienne shrugged.

“Since they were fourteen…so about five years.” Billie shook his head. I never thought that it would last over a day.” The girls both nodded. “He told me last week that he loved her,” Adrienne said after a few seconds of silence.

“You mean like…LOVE love or just teen love?” Billie asked.

“You and me love,” she said with a smile. Billie smiled back.

“Wow. He has it bad.”

Just then the door burst open and Tre Cool stood in the doorway.

“TRE!” Sami and Adie screamed in unison. They both ran and hugged him tight. “Wow, I still got it!” he said triumphantly. When the girls had let go of him Tre turned to Billie.

“I need to talk to you,” he said seriously.

“O-Ok,” Billie said, sounding nervous. Tre grabbed Billie by the arm and led him upstairs. Tre walked into Billie and Adie’s room and locked the door. “Tre, why are you locking us in?” Billie asked half laughing.

“I-I just d-don’t want anyone to walk in,” he stuttered, looking scared and nervous. Billie stopped laughing and stared at Tre. He almost looked on the verge of tears.

“Tre, buddy, what’s wrong?” Billie asked. Tre sat on the bed. Tre looked down at the ground.

“I still love her.”