‹ Prequel: Backstage

Center Stage (Into the Future)

Divorce

Nikky cried into Tre’s shoulder for almost ten minutes until she spoke. “I don’t know what I’d do without you, Tre,” she sobbed. She had calmed down a little bit, but she was still crying. Tre could feel the tears seeping through his shirt and onto his skin.
But he didn’t care. Nikky needed him and he was there. Tre felt horrible because Nikky was so miserable…on the other hand, she was technically free now.

“Tre?” Nikky said. Tre snapped out of his thoughts and continued to comfort her.

“Yeah?” Tre asked.

“What am I going to do?” Nikky asked as she lifted her head off of his shoulder. He didn’t know what to say.

“Just do what you think is right,” he said.
‘What? That made no sense.’

Nikky nodded.

‘Good, I said something remotely right,’ Tre thought.

“But what’s right?” she said as she rested her head on his shoulder.

‘Crap, now I have to answer this question…uhh…uhh…’
“Whatever you heart tells you?…” he tried.
‘What kind of crap answer was that!?’

Nikky laughed.

“You have no idea how to answer that, do you?” Tre smiled.

‘She knows me too well,’ he thought.
“Nope.” Nikky gave a watery smile and hugged him.

“You tried.”

Downstairs

“Hey Mikey? Have you seen Tre?” Billie asked Mike.

“No, haven’t seen him in a while actually,” Mike said as he looked around the filled room. More family and friends had come over to greet them earlier than planned.

“Hey Billie? Katie and I have been looking for Nikky. Have you seen her?” Sami asked. Billie’s eyes grew wide as he put 2 and 2 together.

“Oh crap. Mike! We have to find Tre,” he said nervously.

“Dad? What’s wrong?” Jakob said as he came up to Billie.

“Have you seen Tre, Jake?” Billie asked hurriedly.

“No…but Joey was talking to him a little while ago,” Scott cut in. “Thanks,” Billie said.

The group walked around looking for Joey for about five minutes until they found him and Kaylee on the couch.

“JOEY!” Billie said. “One, where’s Tre? And two, not in public, ok?” Joey nodded and then pointed up the stairs.

“He’s with Nikky,” he said. Billie swore out loud. A guest he had never met glared at him. Billie glared back.

“What?!” he snapped angrily.

“Bill, focus!” Mike said taking him by the collar of the shirt and staring him straight in the eye.

“Let’s go get them,” Sami said annoyed that they were taking this long.

“Right…Mike, let go of my shirt,” Billie said.

“Oh...sorry, got caught up in the moment,” Mike said as he let go of Billie.

The four of them ran up the stairs, scared at what they would walk in on. They opened up the bathroom door, Jakob’s room, Joey’s room, Billie’s guitar room,
(“Billie, you have some awesome guitars!” “SAMI, FOCUS!”) until the only room left was Billie’s bedroom.

“I don’t want to open it,” Billie said for he had been pushed to the front of the group.

“Why not?” Mike asked.

“The same reason you guys don’t! Who knows what they’re doing in there!” Billie whispered angrily.

“Just do it!” Sami said.

Katie gave and angry sigh and opened the door.

“Or, Katie could just do it,” Billie said. They walked in. They all were relieved at what they saw…and then confused.

First, they saw Tre and Nikky sitting on the floor together. Then, they saw Tre and Nikky sitting on the floor together with Nikky’s head on Tre’s shoulder and her face tear stained.

“Nikky, what’s wrong?” Sami said as she walked further in the room with Katie right behind her.

“Stupid John,” Nikky mumbled, wiping her eyes.

“Oh no, did you guys fight again?” Katie asked kneeling down next to her. Nikky pulled herself away from Tre so she was looking at Katie and Sami, who were both sitting on the ground with them now. Nikky shook her head.

"We're getting a divorce."