Status: Finished

Tales of the Sunset Strip

One in a million

Slash P.o.V

I nervously stand in front of Michelle, ready to play. I really hope I don’t fuck this up, the gig really means a lot to me and the guys. Yes, I know there’s a huge chance she’ll let us play anyway but I want her to let us because we’re good enough, not because we’re so close.

“Start with Paradise city?” Steven suggests.

“Ok, Sweet child o’ mine after that?” We all agree.

We were only allowed to play two songs and as a result we spent last night arguing about which songs we should play and in which order. It changed every 5 minutes and I guess we had to come with the final ‘set-list’ right now. I play the intro and look quickly at my girlfriend.

Normal PoV

I can’t believe this. I never thought I’d be this stunned, I even drop my jaw!
Ever since I went to Seattle to see a friend and a local band called Nirvana, I was worried for all the hair metal bands that I’ve discovered.

Maybe I should explain better: I spent hours and hours of listening to hair metal bands that we’re imitating Mötley, Van Halen and Poison and as a result they all started to sound the same. It made me realize that if those bands sound the same to me, they definitely will sound the same to others and people might get bored with it.

I spent months searching for a new sounds since hair metal is starting to get out of style and I wouldn’t be surprised if that Nirvana, that local Seattle band that sounds quite the opposite of Poison, will be the next best thing. I already tried to get in touch with Nirvana, since I know people will want to hear them but in the meanwhile I still have to find a band for the Saturday night gig.

And that was my biggest problem: finding a band who sounds similar to all those hair metal bands to make it accepting for the regular visitors (from Poison to Nirvana is a drastic style change and I hope I’m not going to get sacked later when I succeed in brining them to the Whiskey) , yet has it’s own style.

I thought it was nearly impossible since all those bands, as I said before, sounded like cover bands. At one point I was actually fearing for my job because of the gaps in the entertainment programme I had to fill and the decreasing quality of the bands that I actually allowed to play. I spent a long time searching for a solution.

And the solution was Guns n’ roses. I looked everywhere except right in front of me. All that I needed for my job was my own boyfriends’ band and it took me months to figure that one out. Can you see why I feel incredible stupid right now?

They finish and look at me expectantly.

“Guys, you are great! And I’m not saying this because I care for you all ‘cause if you sucked, I’d tell you as well but you’re amazing! You definitely got the gig,” I ramble.