Status: Finished

Tales of the Sunset Strip

Think about you

(Michelle's PoV)

When I wake up, Slash is still asleep, snoring softly. All I have to do today is check out two new bands, before going to the Whiskey. When I’m not busy with organising the gigs, which is a very busy job at it’s own, I’m standing behind the bar.

Tonight I’ve got the nightshift, so it’ll probably around 4 or 5 in the morning before I’ll be seeing my bed again. I realize my appointment with the first band is at 2.30 pm, so I decide to roll over and catch some more sleep.

The alarm clock wakes me for the second time and even succeeds to wake up Slash.

”What time is it?” he asks, his eyes still closed.

“One pm, I have to get up."

"Do you really have to?” he groans.

“Sorry dude, wish I could stay but I can’t."

"Alright. I love you."

"I love you too, baby.”

I leave my house in a great mood.

When I go to the Whiskey after judging the bands, my great mood has disappeared, something that always happens when I have to turn bands down. Not that those two bands were that bad, they just weren’t good enough and I don’t think they were ready for it either.

One thing that bothered me the most about them, is that they almost sounded like a Poison cover band. Lately the most of them do.

I’ve been having this job for seven years now and after watching record company employees signing almost every band that shows up at the Sunset Strip, I’m worried that the audience might get bored with it.

Amy, one of my friends, lives in Seattle and when I once visited her, we went to see this new band called Nirvana. They did not only sounded great, they also sounded like something completely new, instead of like a cover band. As much as I liked them, I’m still worried that once they’ll become famous, all my beloved hair metal bands will be out of style.

What the music scene here needs is a band who still has the Sunset Strip style but actually sounds a bit different. A band who’s heavily influenced by all those old classic hard rock bands but also has his own originality. Sometimes I wonder if I ever find that band.

When I come back home, I find a note from Slash, telling me he had to go to band practice. I haven’t got much time before I have to be at the Whiskey.

I comb my hair, grab my bags and try to ignore the guilt I lately seem to have every time Slash, or Duff, Steven, Axl and Izzy for that matter, mention their band.

When I arrive at the Whiskey, the first person I see is Slash. I wave at him and I can see him smile underneath the huge mass of curls.

“Hey babe,” he grins while hugging me.
“Just wanted to thank you for being there for me last night.”

I shrug. “It’s nothing, of course I’ll help my guy. I got a little help though, because I don’t have the strength to carry a full-grown man up those stairs. Besides, you’re not the first guy I’ve ever dated who passed out sometimes.”

I try to sound indifferent when I speak that sentence but I don’t feel like that. Stephen, the first guy I ever dated, and also played in a band with, died of a heroin-overdose and also drunk a lot.

Even though I hid it last night, I can’t help but to worry about Slashes’ drinking habit. That’s why I’ll never try drugs, to make sure Stephen’s death wasn’t in vain.

“Hey Michelle, are you there?” Slashes’ voice disturbed my thoughts.

“Yeah I am. It’s just that one of my loved ones died five years ago tomorrow."

"Oh I’m sorry."

"It’s ok."

"May I ask how he died?"

"Heroin. He was only 22."

"Wow, that’s terrible. I lost one of my friends like that too, so I know how you feel. Are you going to his grave tomorrow?"

"I’m planning to."

"Do you want me to come with you?”

I gave him a small smile. “That would be nice, thanks.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments=love