Status: Finished

Carpe Noctum, Seize the Night

Runaway

Maggy’s PoV

Lestat’s words continues to haunt me for days. What am I to do? Become a vampire or stay human? I realize I’m not ready to make a choice and do the only thing I can think of doing: running away and seeking shelter in the Talamasca motherhouse.

That was 20 years ago and a lot has happened since then. Nowadays I mostly communicate with my immortal loved ones through letters. They thankfully understood my decision, even Lestat, and kept a respectable distance ever since my sudden departure, for both their sake and mine.

They’d sometimes questioned my decision to go to the motherhouse because Aaron’s murderers had been fellow Talamascans, something David found out shortly after I had moved into the house but since the organization had taken care of them, I didn’t held the entire Talamasca responsible for my friends’ death.

Besides, where else could I go to? My parents, bless them, were great but they couldn’t even handle my relatively limited telekinetic powers, let alone the fact that my best friends and (ex)lover are undead.

It broke my heart to leave Lestat.

If only he had been mortal.
If only all of them had been mortal.

I moved on and we became friends. He still is until this day, just like David, Jesse, Louis and Merrick, but he’ll also always be the “one that got away’’ and a part of me will always love him.

3 years after I had moved into the Talamasca’s headquarters I met Jon, a sweet, gentle man who had been struggling with his telepathic powers for all his life. Telling Lestat I had fallen in love with him and had accepted his proposal wasn’t an easy thing to do but fortunately he took the news calm and collected.

Jon and I had a son I named after Aaron.

When both of them died in a car crash I wanted to die with them.

I was secretly glad I had decided to stay human because the idea of having to live on without them as a mortal was already bad enough but if I had been immortal I hadn’t been able to continue and probably would have walked straight into the sun.

After finishing a letter to Merrick and Louis to congratulate them with their anniversary (they had been a couple for 19 years now) I going to see a hospital appointment. I had found a questionable lump on my breast this morning and considering breast cancer was not uncommon in my family for it had killed both my mother and aunt, I figured it’s better to be safe than sorry.

One hour later the doctor shows me the test results. He doesn’t need to say the news out loud for me to realize what’s going on. The sad look on his face tells me all I need to know.