Status: Won't be able to update this weekend. Super busy! Hopefully sometime during the week I'll get another chapter up.

Finding Family, Finding Love

Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from CSI: Miami the only thing I own is the plot and the characters of Rachel Morgan, Brooklynn Martin and Ava Morgan.

~CHAPTER TWO: BIRTHDAYS ~

Two days later Ava woke up to her 21st birthday. Mac had helped her make all of her final plans to move to Miami:

*gotten her plane ticket…check
*packed all of her belongings…check
*New apartment in Miami…check.
*sent everything to Miami…check

Mac helped her get her apartment in Miami. In fact her apartment was only a block or so away from the University, all bought and paid for, again courtesy of Mac. If you walked about two blocks in the other direction you would hit the beach. All in all Ava figured she probably had it pretty good. She also had quickly found a room-mate in the form of her best friend Brooklyn Lea Martin, which came as a surprise to her. Brooklynn had never told her that she was also accepted to Miami U. Ava couldn’t believe her luck.

At first she wasn’t going to have a party, but Danny Messer, a co-worker of Mac’s, had talked her into it. It had only taken him a day or two to convince her. Of course Danny had help in the form of his best friend Donald Flack. She decided the after all maybe it would be a good idea to have a party, she could spend time with her friends. Who knew when she would be coming back home to New York.

She stayed at the house all day, waiting for 6:00 to roll around. That was when everyone was due to arrive. Ava sat watching the clock tick ever so slowly and she also watched her mother hand decorations.

“Mom, would you please let me help you do something? I’m so bored I could blow my brains out…” She stopped talking when she saw the look on her mother’s face. “Sorry I was kidding.” She knew she shouldn’t ask as her mother would just deny her request.

“No, Sweetie. That wasn’t funny and you’re not doing anything today. You just relax. Why don’t you go out and do something with Brooke. Maybe then you wouldn’t be so bored.” Was her mother’s reply.

“Can’t, she told me that until she shows up for the party she is not to be contacted. She also said she wasn’t going to talk to me until then either. Something about a gift or something.” Ava sighed. “Everyone else is at work slaving away for Mac or out protecting and serving New York.”

Rachel only laughed and turned to Ava. “Sweetie, it’s not that bad. You only have an hour or so until everyone gets here.” She then sighed as well. “Are you excited to be going to Miami?”

“I’m excited. Especially now I can finally get started in the field of study that I want. You know I’ve always been interested in Forensics. This will be awesome. Ever since Mac first took me to the lab I’ve known that it was what I wanted to study Forensics.” Ava paused. “I’m also kind of scared. I’m going to truly be on my own for the first time in my life and there’s the fact that I’m going to be meeting my…Horatio. How do I do that? I can’t….can’t just walk up to him and be like ‘hey what’s up? I’m your kid. Take care of my please.’ It kind of freaks me out. After all this time I finally get to meet him.”

Rachel got down off of the step stool that she was standing on and sat by her daughter. “That’s a natural reaction for anyone in your position. You’re going to be on your own for the first time, like you said. About your father….you have never know him and that’s my fault.” She raised her hand as she saw Ava try to speak. “It is I’ve accepted that. Your father is a complete stranger to you and you’re going to be inviting him into your life. But believe me…no…trust me when I tell you that Horatio Caine is a wonderful man and that you can trust him no matter what. That will never change.”

Ava sighed loudly, “okay, I trust your judgment. I mean after all you have to have good judgment, you are with Mac.” Before she could say anything else there was a yell from the front hallway.

“HEY! WHERE’S THE BIRTHDAY GIRL?”

“I THINK SHE’S IN THE LIVINGROOM.” Ava yelled to them, standing up just as Don and Danny made there way into the room. Don walked over ,sitting a gift on the coffee table, and gave her a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

“Happy Birthday Ava.” He said before giving her another tight hug. He pulled away only to have Danny push in a pick Ava up. He hugged her tightly and twirled her around. Laughing, while she was still looking at Don. She yelled at Danny.

“PUT ME DOWN YOU IDIOT.” Don gave her a small smile while shaking his head at his two friends.

“Happy birthday, baby girl.” Danny said as he placed her back on the ground. He handed her a small wrapped box.

“Thanks, Danny.” Ava said kissing his cheek, missing the small glare that Don shot at Danny. She placed Danny’s gift with Don’s on the table. The three of them sat down on the couch, Ava stuck between Don and Danny, sat around talking about work and her choice of schools. Neither men were too excited that she was leaving New York and moving so far away. Twenty minutes later there was another knock on the door. Rachel let a new horde of people in. This group included Stella, Mac (why he knocked I’ll never know), Sheldon, Lindsay, Sid, Adam, and surprisingly Mac’s son Reed. The loudest person of all would be her best friend Brooklynn.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” Brooke yelled.

“Thanks Brooke, there’s really no need to yell. Your just about as bad as Danny.” Ava laughed when Danny yelled. ‘HEY’. “See point made.”
“Ahhh, technicalities.” Brook said with a smile and a wave of her hand.
“Right.” Ava said turning her attention to the rest of the group.

“Hey you guys. Thanks for coming.”

“We wanted to come, Sweetie. It’s not everyday that you turn 21.” Stella replied giving her a hug. Everyone piled the presents they had brought on top of Don and Danny’s presents.

Awhile later after everyone had ate, they opened presents. Danny got her a silver necklace with her initial on it. Don gave her a bracelet that matched the necklace.

“Did you two go shopping together?” Ava teased as their faces turned slightly pink. “Thanks I love them. I’ll never take them off.” She got books on Forensics from Sheldon, Lindsay, Mac and Stella. Adam being the computer nerd that he is got her a video game.

“I wasn’t sure what exactly to get you so I got you a card for Itunes.” Sid said handing her a card.

“Thanks Sid. I’ll use this well.” Ava said with a smile. Reed didn’t pick her up anything, but that was to be expected as he didn’t know Ava very well.

After awhile everyone slowly started to leave as it was getting closer to midnight. Soon Ava, Brooke, Mac, and Rachel all sat around the kitchen table.

“Honey, you have no idea how much I am going to miss you, I know I don’t tell you often enough but, I’m proud of you. I’m proud the you’re finally going to school to sudy something you love. I’m also proud of you for wanting to meet your father.” Ava looked at her mother in surprise. Ava never really heard her mother talk or express her emotions too much.

“Thank you mom, you don’t know how much that means to me.” she said as she got out of her chair and walked to her mom and hugged her hard. “Okay, its really late. I need to get to bed. I have….we have..” She paused pointing between Brooke and herself. “An early flight tomorrow.”

“I’m really going to miss you sweetie. “ Rachel said hugging Ava back. Ava released her mother and moved over to Mac and gave him a kiss and a hug.

“I love you too, Mac.”

“Love you too, honey. You better not be a stranger now that you’re moving. Just so you know I’m proud of you as well.” He replied giving her a smile. “Don’s really going to miss you.”

Ava gave him a curious look. ~What? Does he know something I don’t?~

Still confused she gave them both another hug. “Love you guys. See you in the morning.” With that she walked out of the room an into her bedroom. As she sat on the bed she could hear Brooke talking to her mother and Mac.

“Night, Ms. Morgan, Mr. Taylor.” Ava could hear her footsteps getting closer to her room.

“Night.”

Once both Brooke and Ava were in the bedroom, Brooke began asking questions. “So, are you excited about moving? I know that I am, I’ve already got my stuff shipped down to Miami.”

Ava walked over to her dresser getting out her pajamas “Yeah, I’m excited I get to meet a father I never knew about and I get to finally go to college.”

“Ava, I do have a question, where in the hell did you get your eye color, from your father? Your mother certainly doesn’t have that color.” Brooke asked sitting on the bed already in her pajamas.

Laughing a little Jessica got in bed and said “ You know I really don’t know, I figure I might have gotten them from my father, Horatio Caine, that’s his name by the way. Mom said he has red hair. I think most people with red hair have blue eyes but what do I know? I’ll just have to wait until I meet him or at least see him. I know that once I am down there I will have to call all of the crime labs in Miami to find out which one he works at that will be a trip.”

“I noticed something tonight, but before I tell you I have a question.” Brooke said looking at Ava. “Do you like Don?”

“What? What do you mean?”

“Oh, come on, you know what I mean. Do you like him?” Brooke emphasized like.

“I don’t know. I mean, yeah, I find him quite attractive…” She was silent for a few minutes thinking. ~Do I like Don?~ Looking at Brooke she knew her answer. “Yes, I like Don but it’s a little late now isn’t it? I mean I’m moving down to Miami and that’s forever away. Plus Don has never shown any interest in me.”

“So you say. I thought he was going to kill Danny tonight. Every time Danny gave you a hug or whatever Don would give him the death glare. Mac’s noticed too. He even commented on it. Don’s already half in love with you.” Brooke pointed out.

“Well, that sucks…now it doesn’t really matter now. I don’t do long distance relationships and it would be hard anyway, what with his job and my going to school we would never see each other. I’m not going to change where I’m going to school just because there could be something between Don and I. I get to meet my father after all these years and I’m not going to change that. I don’t want to regret that for the rest of my life.” Ava yawned loudly. “Anyway, lets drop that for now. We have to get up early, well later, and I’m exhausted.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll drop it for now. See you in a little while. Night.” Brooke said laying down. Ava reached over and turned off the lamp on the bedside table and laid down as well.

“Night Brooke.”

TBC…