‹ Prequel: Kings of War

Queens of the Night

Xander

It had been a long night. He had worked relentlessly, cruelly leaving others to suffer Shaun for the social aspect of the monarchy. Though it wasn't really a monarchy. They really did need to find a new word. Neither of them had bothered to care to though. Why should they either? They were the kings. As long as everyone remember that then who cared what their form of government was called. Besides, it wasn't as if anyone else could handle this kind of rule. Humans had tried and they had failed. Every last one of them. They stabbed each other in the back too easily. Shaun and Xander might not always agree, but they knew better than to cross each other. They were too balanced to bother with killing each other.

Xander steepled his fingers as he looked at the knights before him. They were all good men and women. Loyal to him and Shaun alone. Though there were times when he has suspected them. Each one of these, however, had proved themselves in the end. And if they did betray him or Shaun, well then his vengeance would be all the more swift and cruel for their double treachery. "Has she been sent?" Xander asked arching an eyebrow. Patrick came forward, fist clenched over his heart as he bowed.

"Aye m'lord. She was sent out as soon as you ordered it. We will be getting word as soon as she replied. There are relay points all along the way. Hidden of course." They all knew Xander well. He tended to be anal about such things. He never wanted anyone to know of his plans until it was too later for them to be stopped. This one was more important than most. This was about his Elizabeth. It could also be about Eli too. That made it even more important. Too much was at stake for anyone to be allowed to screw it up.

He nodded curtly. He had sent off one of his little spies on a mission. A very important mission. Shaun would thank him for it when he had the time to actually learn what was going on. After all, this effected both of them in the most pivotal way. "Dismissed," he snapped. He didn't watch them bow or leave though he knew that they did. He was too busy thinking about other things. More important things. He sighed and shook his head. Whoever said ruling a kingdom should have been shot. They knew nothing. There were so many complications and that was when it was impersonal.

He heard the door open and his eyes darted tot he door narrowed to see who was interrupting his peace. A soft smile settled on his lips when he saw Elizabeth standing there. "Come in my Lizzielass," he prompted. The girl scrambled inside closing the door behind her and chose her usual seat on Xander's lap. His arms folded around her holding her close before he glared down to see one of her tiny pets snuggled in her arms. "Elizabeth," he said with a sigh shaking his head. "Lassie, when ye come tae me, I'd like ye to come alone." He knew she was confused. So to end that matter, he kissed her. That would hopefully make her understand. It was hard to kiss her when she was holding that tiny cat of hers.

"Elizabeth," he whispered in her ear. "Let's go take a bath."
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, I owe you guys the biggest apology ever. Over a month since this story has been updated. And that is my fault. I would like to put it up front that I do not mind constructive criticism. Actually I rather prefer it. It gives good insight and helps me to become a better writer. However, there was a comment given regarding a character of mine that was not constructive. It was an insult and it hurt me very much. Because of that, I had a very hard time coming back to this story. I am sorry to all of your readers and to my co-author taylorbean for that. You guys deserve a lot better than that.

Sincerely,
cho-nee-dono