‹ Prequel: Kings of War

Queens of the Night

Shaun

Shaun had known that something was up for a while. The stirrings, the movement. It was as it was before, he knew that things were uneasy. That Jack guy made him uneasy too, and he was willing to bet that that moron had something to do with this whole mess. He had spent the better part of the night considering it, thinking of what his next step needed to be. He needed to have a talk with Xander, then they could decide what they were going to do about it. Besides, chances were that Scottish bastard knew more than him, and they needed to pool their information.

He was awakened by the sound of Jason rolling his trucks on the wood floor, the wheels rattling as they moved over the cracks in the wood. Eli still laid beside him, fast asleep. He'd felt her tossing and turning beside him all night, and he didn't have the heart to wake her up, so instead he slipped out from the bed and dragged on some clothes, ruffling his son's hair. "C'mon kiddo." he murmured quietly, "Let's go get some breakfast and fresh air, huh?"

He let the boy crawl onto his back and piggybacked him down to the kitchen, leaving Eli to sleep for a little while longer. The scent of food filled the whole place, making his stomach grumble. he checked up on Xander before he went downstairs, but the door was still shut and locked. Probably still asleep, too. He smirked a little, packing Jason down the huge staircase. He was gonna have to tease Elizabeth about that, later. He even made the slightest insinuation that she had been having sex with Xander and the girl's cheeks went redder than anything he had ever seen. It was completely hilarious. Teasing the girl was probably the funniest thing ever.

The food was already laid out over the dining table, steaming and smelling delicious. Plopping down in the seat he always occupied, he allowed Jason to occupy the space in his lap, carefully cutting up pieces of food for the child. He had missed Jason more than words could explain. When Eli had left with him, that had broken him more than anything he had ever felt before. Jason was his only child to date, his only son, his whole world. He was going to have to teach him to be a man. Ruffling the boy's hair, he sat back and looked around the dining hall. The knights were gathered around, speaking in groups. He knew something was wrong when the knights grouped like that. They were nervous, too.

He glanced outside at the sun shining in through the windows and then down at the child chowing down, seated in his lap. He really, really did need to talk to Xander, but he had promised Jason he would take him outside. How long had it been since the boy had been out? A long time, he'd guess. Probably with Elizabeth. Shaun was certainly grateful for how willing the girl was to look after Jason, she was one of the few people that had time and he trusted.

Once the boy had stopped eating, he gave the nights a sideways glance and allowed the boy off his lap, grasping his hand instead. "Let's go outside, " he nodded. The skies were overcast; a clear indication of the dark cloud that would soon be upon them.
♠ ♠ ♠
parental skillz ftw?