‹ Prequel: Kings of War

Queens of the Night

Xander

Xander woke up feeling a little lazy and smirking. He kissed her ear and eased off the bed letting her sleep. He had kept her p late the night before. He knew that Shaun would probably say something about it to Elizabeth. But it was teasing banter. It was good for the lass so he wasn't about to stop him from doing it. Instead he pulled on a pair of black slacks and a loose fitting tan tunic. He ran a hand through his dark hair as he slipped out of his room. He locked the door behind him and padded through the castle barefoot. The castle was quiet. Most were sleeping and those who weren't were watching and listening. As his mother had told him once...you could hear the big storms before they came. He had a feeling this was one of those cases.

He stopped off in the grand hall and grabbed a goblet taking it to one of the windows. A passing maid filled it with blood. That was his tradition after all. He looked out over the courtyard and saw Shaun and Jason out in the open area under the dead sky. "M'lord Xander." Xander turned to look at the young maid addressing him.

"Aye," he snapped, his eyes looking down at her seemingly disdainfully.

"W-well you see m'lord, there is a man, he said he's the ambassador and that he would like to see you and King Shaun as he was requested. Well...he's actually demanding it." The girl seemed nervous and fidgety as she spoke as if Xander would burst in a rage. Instead he smirked coldly and took a sip of the fresh, thick, rich blood in his goblet. "Tell him to wait in the Second Antechamber. Take him there if need be and have Ajax make certain that he stays where he is until Shaun and I come for him. Understood?" he snapped the last word. The maid nodded nervously and fled in the opposite direction.

Xander looked back down at the courtyard. He was going to have to disturb the happy scene. He should probably leave them be for a little while, but Shaun needed to know what he knew. Xander sighed and scrubbed his hand across his face. He took his goblet with him as he went down the stairs and out into the courtyard. He watched Shaun and his son before he took a deep breath and moved forward. "Shaun, would you like to talk here or in my office?" he asked. He wasn't sure what the man would decide. After all, his son was there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Drama