‹ Prequel: Kings of War

Queens of the Night

Xander

Xander stopped Shaun at the end of the hall and looked down at the door to the antechamber. "Shaun, it's the bastard from the day afore. It's Jack. I have tae tell ye what I ken about him eh?" Xander sighed and leaned back against the wall. His voice dropped and he looked carefully at Shaun. "Ye'll remember how I was the one tae buy Eli when she was first brought tae the castle. As I do wi' all the servants and slaves, I investigated 'er. What I didna tell ye was what I learned. Ye fancied her and I preferred the wee lass above yer usual whores." Xander had never bothered to censor himself with Shaun.

"At the time, she had a boyfriend named Jackson Purdue. I'm certain ye'll remember wee Jackie and the trouble he called us back in the day." Xander's eyes grew dark at the memories of the things that Jackson had done. Jackson had been involved with Elizabeth and her "man" before she had become his. His fists clenched before he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He let out the breath slowly and his eyes stared at Shaun cold and dead.

"Now that ye ken the situation, ye'll understand why I'm concerned about this whole scenerio and why ye're lass was so eager tae leave yestereve." Xander growled softly. They both had a stake in this thing now. As if they hadn't before. He didn't give Shaun any more time to react before he walked towards the antechamber. He knew Shaun would follow. The question was what Shaun would do once they were intside.

Xander opened the door and stood aside, allowing Ajax to bow to his kings and leave. Shaun went inside first and then Xander followed locking the door behind him and slipping the key on it's short chain around his neck. "We are most sorry that we weren't here sooner, but we had other affairs of state to take care of," his voice was a soft hiss of menace as he spoke. On the surface though, most would have almost thought he was just being polite.

Xander's hand began to slid across the table to move slowly towards Jackson. "You kept me waiting long enough," he snapped. He wans't so tough as he would like to appear. He knew his situation.

Xander sat down on the table and watched Jackson very carefully. "So tell me...why shouldn't we kill ye right now ye bastard?"

Jackson actually did smirk this time. He knew something and that made it special. "Dustin Philips sends his regards." Xander's body grew tense for one moment before his fist launched out and caught the man in the jaw.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh snap! That is why you don't mess with Xander.