‹ Prequel: Kings of War

Queens of the Night

Elizabeth

Elizabeth awoke to an empty bed. She rolled over, reaching for Xander but found nothing but blankets and sheets. Sitting up, she scratched her blonde head and looked around the room. Nope, nothing, no movement, no Xander. She slipped over the side of the bed, standing up on the cold stone floor. She was absolutely starving, and she wanted to know where everybody had gone-- after all, the girl hated to be alone for any period of time. She padded across the floor and found a dress to wear; nothing fancy, just simple. Nothing interesting was going on today, was it? Not that she could remember.

She slipped into a pair of ballet slippers and padded into the hallway, making her way through to the dining all. The food held no appeal to her; it hadn't in some time. No, she had been vampire for long enough that she didn't miss food at all anymore. She just wanted her blood; O negative, that was all that she needed. Of course, it was brought to her almost as soon as she walked into the room. She fixed the girl with a warm smile. "Thank you." She said, sipping at the blood. Now, for her second duty of the morning; to find Xander. It was rare that she strayed from his side; only when he was doing some kind of official business that he was trying to keep her safe from. She didn't really get it, but she did what she could to make him happy.

Wandering down the hallway, she nearly ran head first into Ajax, flanked by several of his knights. "Ajax," She called out to him, peering up at her friend. "Where is Xander?"

He looked very, very uncomfortable, but she didn't know why. He pointed in the direction of the Second Antechamber. For a moment he looked as if he were going to say more, but she made her way off to the chamber as happy as she could be.

She could hear their solemn, slightly annoyed voices from outside the door and she hesitated. Maybe they were doing something important that she shouldn't interrupt? She waited for a moment or two, and finally pressed her ear to the crack in the door. She just needed to listen for a second or two. She wanted to know if it was serious, that was all. The voice sounded familiar. She recognized Xander's right away. Then she heard the other man say a name she never wanted to hear ever again.

Dustin. She had known him before she was turned vampire, and he had gotten her into all kinds of trouble. He was big and scary-- how was she to say no to somebody so imposing? she was always afraid he would force himself on her. It had never been that far, although he had struck her more than once. She had had her first drink with him, smoked her first blunt with him. She wasn't the kind of girl who did things like that; no, she was the type that focused on her studies and behaved. Dustin had controlled and manipulated her through fear. At the sound of his name she shoved open the door-- just in time to see Xander's fist connecting with the man's face, a spray of blood staining the walls a shocking red. She was beginning to wish she had stayed in bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohnoes