Status: Not writing until people read it.

This Is Usually The Part Where People Scream

And Now I'm Special

"What-what do you m-mean my protector?" I stuttered out. I was starting to shake and Kassandr squeezed my shoulder comfortingly.

"Shh, it's okay Lana." He whispered soothingly, "Let me start from the beginning."

I nodded and he sighed, "Where to start, where to start..." he mumbled. He sighed again, "Okay." He looked over to me and I nodded encouragingly,

"Well" he started, "Years ago, centuries actually, a Vampire very powerful in magic wrote a prophecy. An elder Vampire that specialized in Earth and Divination magic." I eyed him curiously, I didn't know Vampires could have special powers apart from their advanced senses. Kassandr kept speaking "This prophecy stirred the Vampiric Society and many people cried out in outrage, saying it could be impossible and they would not accept it. Many also threatened to leave the Vampire Society, but they never did of course." He looked at me to make sure I was following and I nodded my head in understanding, or as understandingly as I could.

"What did the prophecy say?" I asked, my curiosity getting the better of me.

He wet his lips uncomfortably and sighed. Man this guy sighs a lot.

"So?" I pressed, Kassandr gave me a look that asked are you sure and I nodded enthusiastically. He gave me a worried look, and honestly, it seemed like he didn't want me to hear this mysterious prophecy.

He shook his head, amused, at me. "It's not that I don't want you to hear it Lana, I'm just worried about your reaction."

I pulled my brow together and felt my forehead crease with confusion, I also wasn't pleased at the fact that he had read my mind. "What do you mean?"

He rubbed his brow with one hand, "I just mean either you will be scared or you will not believe me."

I gave him a meaningful look. He mumbled something in Russian and continued his story.

Kassandr looked up, "It's not a story." he said abruptly, his face hard.

This time, I sighed, in frustration, Will you please stop reading my thoughts. I told him telepathically.

I expected him to chuckle or even just his mood to lighten, but all he did was nod.

I looked at him concerned and he read my face as if they were my thoughts. "I'm okay. I am just worried for you. You have to realize that what I am about to tell you is real. Not just a story. At least, it's real to us Vampires."

Realization of the enormity of the situation hit me. "This is really big, isn't it? That's why you're telling me, right?"

Kassandr nodded.

I inhaled deeply, "Well, I'm ready."

He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes, and put a hand back on my shoulder as if to say I'm here.

I gave him a small smile and he looked straight into my eyes when he spoke.

"As I said previously, there is a prophecy that caused much chaos in the Vampiric Society. This prophecy was said to be about one of great power, very valuable and one of a kind." He looked down at me, and I nodded my comprehension, he continued. "One that is not human, vampire, or witch."

I gasped. I was the only one known to anyone that was half-human and half-vampire. And I was definitely not a witch. Therefore I understood Kassandr's implication of this prophecy.

I looked at him and I just knew.

He thought the prophecy was about me.

Kassandr shook his head.

He...doesn't?

He chuckled a bit, "You misunderstand. It's not just me that thinks it, it is the whole Vampire Society."

Oh. shit.
They're out to fucking kill me.

Kassandr laughed this time, still shaking his head,

"No Lana, they want to protect you."

I mentally slapped myself. Doiiii.

Hence, Protectors.

Kassandr nodded again, the smile falling from his face.

"I'll explain" he said.

"Once the Vampire Society realized the meaning of this prophecy, they knew something had to be done. They knew there would be people that will try to capture or kill the object of the prophecy once it comes along. They decided to prepare for that."

He paused for breath,

"The Vampiric Society gathered strong Vampires from various families and started to teach them techniques of protection. Eventually, they also incorporated humans, for camouflage purposes."

I nodded to his words, wrapping my mind around them.

Kassandr continued, "The Protector business became inherited through generation, and it grew to become an honour and social status in being a Protector instead of an actual, well, job. We've never really needed to use our skills besides for ourselves."

I giggled, there are those grammatical errors again.

"What?" he asked, a smile in his eyes.

"Just your foreign-ness"

He laughed warmly and it made me smile. Even though I had no more feelings for Kassandr, I still liked his laugh.

"So you're one of the Protectors."

He chuckled.

"Yes, I told you. My aunt calls me 'the lucky generation'"

"Your aunt?" I asked, mildly shocked.

"Yes. You don't think that women were picked to learn to fight and risk their lives for the more important things in life?" he chuckled again, "You, of all people?"

Yes. Of all people.

I was the one who called the guys sexist whenever they said something was 'too dangerous'.

"Er-nah thats not what I meant. I didn't know you had an aunt."

Well, it wasn't exactly a lie, I didn't know he had an aunt.

"Mmmhm." he said sarcastically, I punched him lightly.

"You mentioned that there were Protectors. As in more than one?" I asked, my words filled with genuine curiosity.

"Yes. There are many trained to be Protectors, only the best and those deemed most fit are able to protect the actual object of prophecy."

I nodded, chewing my lip thoughtfully.

"So I should be comforted then, that you're protecting me." I said playfully.

Kassandr, though, was back to business-mode.

"Yes."

I nodded again, and exhaled a breath I had been holding in.

"And what do the others do?" I asked

He came out of his thoughts and looked down to me, and petted my hair.

"They still protect you. They're just not as close as we will be."

I cocked my head at him, thoughtfully, "We?"

"Mmmhm. You have another Protector. I do not know him nor his name, just that he is Finnish. You're supposed to meet him tomorrow."

I thought about that for a moment.

Then something hit me.

"Wait, did you ask me out because--"

"No." he said immediately "I was notified a week before we, um, ended."

I immediately felt bad for even thinking about it, and a wave of guilt washed over me.
Kassandr petted my hair and spoke soothingly, "It's okay, I would have thought the same."

It lasted all of a minute though, and as I thought of Jason and Shelly, my head snapped up, hitting Kassandr in the jaw.

He frowned and rubbed his jaw, looking down at me a little shocked.

What was I doing?

I was rolling on the floor laughing. Literally.

"Yes...?" Kassandr asked, confused and my hysteric outburst of laughter.

"Your--face--" I managed to choke out between fits of laughter,

He rolled his eyes and helped me up, because he's such a gentleman.

"Wait- where are Jasper and Shelly?" I asked, snapping back to reality.

"Inside, cleaning. Still." he stated.

"You sure 'bout that?" I asked teasingly, knowing full well they wouldn't be doing anything other than cleaning the house.

I earned a chuckle from Kassandr, "Yes." he said.

"So when are we leaving?" I questioned excitedly, I was literally bounding with the idea of going go-karting. I hadn't gone in so long.

Kassandr shook his head at me in mock disapproval.
"As soon as they get back."

I nodded happily, "Shelly told me we were meeting people there."

He nodded, "Yes. Some of Jasper's friends. He told me about them, he works with them. They have a band apparently and they seem to like to have parties. We'll be meeting with a guy named Matt and perhaps his friend."

That sent a shockwave of happiness through me. Guys that have a band, go-kart and like to party? Sounds cool. Not really the dating type though, unfortunately.

My mood brightened even more when I spotted Shelly and Jasper coming out of the house.

Shelly sprinted to me and knocked me over in a signature Shelly tackle-hug.
We erupted into a fit of giggles and she licked my face. I squealed.

"EWWWY! Shelly! Ye crazy bitch!" I shouted, wiping my face furiously with my sleeve.

Shelly got off of me and laughed her evil laugh. Twirling around while looking up at the sky, and fell with theatrical drama into Kassandr's arms and he laughed as he caught her.

Jasper shook his head, comically defeated and threw his arm around my shoulder, and we all laughed as Shelly tried to bite herself out of Kassandr's grip, but ending up running and screaming and laughing hysterically as he flashed his fangs at her.

Why look at that, picture perfect friendship.

Shelly sprinted around us in a circle and hopped on my back.

"LEZZGO TO TEH KARTING!!" She shouted, slapping my arse.

I have a feeling this is going to be a marvelously bizarre day.