Status: Hiatus

Or What You Will

That's A Guy's Name.

My feet trotted toward the list. I crossed my fingers and looked up. And up. Our theatre troupe finally got an opportunity to perform on Broadway. The Broadway.

There it was. What I had been waiting for.

The cast for the Twelfth Night had finally been announced. I knew that I had to be somewhere on this list, but where?
My vision was suddenly blocked by an extremely tall man. I sighed. I am short. Personally, I don't believe this to be true. I am 5'6''. I am also always, however, surrounded by tall people.

"Excuse me?" I asked, trying to be polite, despite my anxiousness to get to that list.

He didn't budge. Guess he didn't hear me. I repeated my question, only a little louder. I realized that offstage I can be very soft-spokenwith strangers.

"Yeah?" I sighed my relief. I looked down at my jacket, fingering a button I placed on the collar.

"I can't see; would you mind scooting over just a bit?"He smirked.

"Actually, I'd rather not." I stood for a moment, processing his statement. No? Are you serious?

"What?" My voice rose to a higher pitch. I looked up at him for the first time. His eyes were a deep set brown; his hair a shaggy light brown. He was around six feet. His smirk widened into a smile.

"I said I'd rather not, but I'm re-thinking that." He moved to the side."Sorry I was so rude. Any chance you'll tell me your name?"

I chuckled. He had obviously shifted into flirt mode. I tucked my hair behind my ear. "It's Henrietta. But call me Henrie."

"That's a guy's name, you know."

"Okay, so I'm guessing that will be the first thing we have in common.” He laughed.

“My name’s Adam. Adam Lazzara. If you don’t mind my asking, what’s your nationality?” I mentally twitched. I hated when it came to this. The questions came as soon as I opened my mouth. People always asked; and fuck it had gotten annoying.

“I’m African American, but I hail from London.” He nodded and turned to the list.

“I only ask because I was curious how you ended up here in New York…you sound so…so…”

“Strange. I know.” He turned back to me.

“I was going to say sexy.” I raised my eyebrows at this.

“Gee thanks. How awfully charming….” This conversation was going nowhere and I had a role to practice for. That is, when I finally got a chance to look at the list.

“Well, I gotta go. Good luck. I’ll see you during rehearsal.” He winked and jogged off.

Rehearsal? My eyes ran up the list. I searched for the main characters.

The Twelfth Night

7. Olivia: Freya Ratliff: A Countess

6. Sebastian: Mathieu Bartlett (My good friend): twin brother to Viola

5. Sir Toby Belch: Nathan Cantrell: Olivia’s uncle

4. Mavolio: Taylor Lancaster: steward to Olivia

3. Maria: Katarina Walters: A gentlewoman in Olivia’s household

2. Duke Orsino: Adam Lazzara: Duke of Illyria, in love with Olivia

1. Viola: Henrietta Pritchard: twin sister to Sebastian. When disguised as a man, she is known as Cesario

Oh Shit.

I’m the lead?

Adam? An actor?

And my character is supposed to fall in love with him.

Ok, how ill-fated was that?