Status: Hiatus

Or What You Will

The Open City

Adam threw his arm over my shoulder, leading me over to what seemed like a bar. That is, until I glanced at the list, which had tea and coffee, much to my surprise. Adam asked for a black coffee. I looked to the woman.

"Do you have Darjeeling tea?"

"We have everything, miss."

"Ok then, I'll have one of those."

After making our orders, we migrated over to a small table near the front of the stage.

"So, how did you find this place?" I asked.

"When I lived in Long Island, I used to come to the city quite alot. I know Manhattan like the back of my hand."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. As my laughter faded out, applause faded in. A small woman walked off the stage as the MC9sort of) took the microphone. "Okay, and that was Lisa Laurel, wasn't she great. Now, we have a real treat for you."

The woman from the bar handed us our drinks. I sipped the scalding liquid.

The MC continued on, "Please welcome to the stage, Mr. Jose Gonzalez!"

I nearly choked on my tea; Adam came around to pat my back. "You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I just freakin love him."

"That much is evident."

Gonzalez took the stage as the audience exploded with applause once again. He played a couple of favorites of mine as I sung along. "Man, you really like him, huh?"

"His music is nearly orgasmic." Adam raised an eyebrow.

"That good?"

"Yeah, so good you wanna...."

"Wanna?" Adam chuckled, amused at my trance-like state.

"Nevermind."

The music stopped and I looked back to Gonzalez.

"Thanks, everyone. Okay, so there's this song that I like by The Knife. And no, they don't harbor suicidal tendencies, so no worries there." The crowd chuckled before he went on. " This is a good song, and if you've ever heard it, you know that my cover won't really compare, but I hope you'll like it. It's called Heartbeats."

He started to play and I fell in love.

"One night to be confused, one night to speed up truth....."

"Oh gosh, how beautiful is that? I wish I could meet him."

"We could. We should catch him before he leaves."

I smiled from ear to ear. "Really??"

He nodded and smiled.

"Thanks. I told you you're breaking me."

His eyes turned serious. "I don't want to do any breaking of any kind; I just want to show you a good time."

I blushed. "You know.....you're-"

"Charming? I know."

"I was gonna say the king of euphemisms, but whatever floats your boat."

***
We waited outside for the guitarist. I asked for a photo with him. He was really cool, but kind of shy. All in all, though, I was very happy.

When he walked away, Adam stood to my side. "You can't stop smiling."

I giggled. "I know...I...thanks. I'm having alot of fun."

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

"I'm having.....fun."

He closed the space between us. "Someone's having a great time?"

I smirked. "Maybe."

"Maybe?" He shook his head and smiled. "Where to now?"

"Hmm....Bleecker Bob's?" He nodded and took my hand. I didn't pull away.

I found my paradise in the cramped store.

"Oh my God. The Smiths, The Clash, an old Fugazi album!!!! I've been here alot, but I've never seen this baby!"

Someone snatched it from my hands. I was getting ready for the fight of my life, but it was only Adam with his pouting face.

"I want it." He whined.

"No!!! I found it!"

"Okay, if I buy it for you, I'm coming over to listen to it."

Before I could object, he was over by the counter. Oh Well.

After we came out, we headed to my home.

In the car, we talked about our taste in music. He told me stories about his friends, which I had to meet. He suggest that I bring mine too and we'd meet at a club. I agreed.

I said goodnight and shut the car door behind me, only to find Adam following me to the doorstep. "You know this is not an invite, right?"

He smirked."I know." He walked me to my apartment.

I looked to him. "Today was great. I needed a break from the ordinary, and the mundane."

He chuckled. "Glad I could be of help."

My lips curled into a smile as I stuck out my hand. "Goodnight, Adam."

He slipped his hand into mine, pulling me forward and kissing my cheek. My face heated up as he wrote down his number. "See you tomorrow, Henrie." Then, he disappeared down the stairwell. He was definitely bold and charming. I touched my cheek, the skin still warm.

Did he have nothing better to do than charm me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Back in action!