Status: Completed on October 4th, 2013

Breaking Their Hold

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Checkpoint

With Jimmy and Matt


"Matt, we're gonna have to stop for supplies when we get into Billings," Jimmy frowned as they walked through a field somewhere in Montana. He had no idea how far they were from Billings, though he knew that by the end of the day, they should be there. He had heard some people talking about it earlier when they'd been carefully passing through a town without being detected. That was one of the things he was thankful for as they walked through the Midwestern states. The towns were smaller and less populated; the cities further apart. There were fewer Government stations and in a way, being here almost reminded Jimmy of the way life had been before the Government had become so corrupt.

Almost, but not quite. He still heard the hushed talk of Government supporters; still heard people talking about how they were looking for the 'four runaways.' He knew that the fourth one was Pierre; that he'd been caught as a liar and as a spy. He could only hope that the Canadian had been smart enough to get himself and Mel away before he'd actually been caught. He had no idea whether or not Mel was still safe and that terrified him.

He didn't want to lose Mel; didn't want to face the possibility of a life without her. He was all he wanted in life; he did everything to make sure she was okay and to make sure that he loved her. He pushed his hand back through his hair.

"I know. I figure we can stop somewhere on the outskirts since it'll be safer than actually going in to the city," Matt told him with a small frown as he turned to face him.

Matt too was aware of just how dangerous their situation was becoming the closer they got to Canada. They were now within two or three weeks of being able to cross the boarder; maybe sooner, if they walked a little faster after they passed through Billings. He knew that it was crucial to make sure they stayed absolutely safe for the moment.

Jimmy didn't say anything as he pushed his hand back through his hair before he looked up at the sky, stopping for a few moments. That was the same sun that was shining down on Mel somewhere; the same sun she looked at and felt warming her skin.

Both of them were worried about what would happen when they actually reached Billings. Neither of them knew what was waiting for them there. Would there be a lot of Government officials, or would they be closer to Idaho and be stationed in Helena? And what about actual, state police? Would they be on the Government's side, like most small-town police had been, or would they be like a few of the smaller departments they'd passed and be on the side of the people?

Either way, they knew that they couldn't risk finding out for themselves. Either way, the two of them needed to make sure that they didn't pull attention towards themselves. They just needed to get the supplies they would need to get them the rest of the way to Canada.

Matt sighed as they continued walking. He wasn't going to show it, but he was scared about everything that could happen. He didn't want to get caught; didn't want to get arrested or taken back to Haverly. He knew that at this point, they weren't just wanted. They would be executed; tried as traitors. They would die if they were caught. Schlagger would make an example out of them for everybody and anyone who would want to fight against him.

Matt had always prided himself on being somewhat strong. He had always been very proud of himself for making sure that he was physically fit and that he was capable of taking care of himself. He hadn't gotten in to fights at Haverly Hospital, of course, but he had defended himself when he'd needed to.

He was sick and tired of having to go through the motions with this. He hated the fact that this was how everything had become. This wasn't how he'd ever envisioned life turning out for himself and his friends and he just wanted it to change.

The next few hours went by without either one of them saying a word to one another. Neither one of them wanted to go to Billings; in fact, they both started lagging a little the closer they got to the buildings on the skyline. But they also knew that this was something they had to do. They needed to get the supplies or there was no possible way they could get to Canada. They would need to get some jackets for the cooler weather, as well as some different shoes.

When they finally got to the point that they were going to walk into town, Matt stopped and turned to face Jimmy.

"We're gonna have to pass through that police station," he told him before he pushed his hand back through his hair in a somewhat irritated fashion.

He definitely wasn't looking forward to that; perhaps because he knew there was a greater chance that they'd be caught.

Jimmy looked worried as well, though he also knew that they didn't have a choice.

"Let's get it done, then," he sighed before he walked closer to Matt, giving him a tight hug. He didn't even care that some people would think it was homosexual. It wasn't to him. This was simply one friend letting another know how much he cared; how he wished things didn't have to be this way.

"I love you, man," Jimmy told his friend in a serious tone. "And if shit doesn't go right..."

He didn't finish his sentence, but he was obviously scared that everything was going to go downhill. He was terrified of the fact that they needed to pass through the police checkpoint.

Without another word, they began walking again. Jimmy walked in front of Jimmy, wanting to make sure that he was in front. Perhaps it was because he wanted to protect Matt, or maybe it was because he didn't want to walk behind. He wasn't sure, he thought to himself.

The closer they got to the police station, the worse the feelings got. Jimmy had a feeling that this was going to change everything.

When they finally approached the checkpoint, they were told to stop via a loud speaker. Jimmy and Matt already had their fake I.D.'s and all their fake paperwork in the front packets, though Jimmy was slightly worried that they'd make a big deal out of the fact that his hair wasn't as blonde anymore as it was in the picture due to how long it had been since he'd done it.

The police said nothing as they looked over the paperwork and fake I.D.'s before they looked up at Matt and Jimmy. Jimmy's breath hitched in his throat, a single drop of sweat dripping down the side of his face.

"...Wait here," the first of the two policemen said before he pulled his comrade into the small checkpoint building. Matt and Jimmy looked at each other before their blood ran cold as soon as they saw the police doing a data search in one of the computers.

They were caught, and they both knew it. And the worst part of knowing was that there was no way they could get away now, even if they tried to.

Within minutes, the two policemen came back out, holding handcuffs and one holding a spray can of mace.

"Turns out your I.D. numbers belong to two men who were executed a few years back," the taller of the two policemen said. "Place your hands behind your backs and lower your heads. You're both being arrested for fraud."

Jimmy cursed under his breath, knowing that he'd let Mel down. He had told her that he wasn't going to get himself arrested; that he wasn't going to do something like this, and it had happened anyway. All he could hope for was that she realized he had tried. God, he'd tried. He just hoped that she realized how much he loved her; how much he'd always love her, even if he died in the end of all this.