Winter Wonderland.

snow...

It never snows when you want it to snow. This, Die had learnt long ago, when, as a child, he’d sit on his windowsill, mentally willing the flakes to fall and settle on the ground until his head hurt. He always loved the snow, still did, even though he was a thirty five-year-old rockstar, a member of a serious band driven by pain, hatred and anger. Yes, it was all about the pain and yet, whenever there was a few centimeters of snow on the ground, he was suddenly a child again, filled with nothing but innocence and utter joy. And he loved it with a passion.

But, it wasn’t snowing, even though it should’ve been. Sleet fell though, ugly blobs of grey falling from the heavens, but not deliciously crisp and pure white flakes of snow. He sighed, moving his old bones away from the window, a cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth. In theory, he should be glad it wasn’t snowing. Now they were on a break, he needed to go shopping and the snow would make it more effort than it was already. He was frowning intensely though, picking the shopping list up from the kitchen counter with an angrier gesture than was completely necessary and walking to the front door with loud, stomping steps, not even saying goodbye to his lover as he left.

As soon as the door was slammed shut, Toshiya sprung into action, literally leaping from the armchair to the desk in the corner to seize the items he’d need. He didn’t have much time to make everything perfect. Die was always quicker than he was with the shopping, since he usually kept to exactly what was written on the list while Toshiya tended to check every item in every aisle, dawdling through the supermarket as if he were in a daydream.

He took residence at the coffee table, a pile of white paper on his left, scissors, tape and string on his right and a feeling of childlike excitement twitching in his stomach. He hadn’t done something like this for years, not since he was in the lowest years of school and it made him laugh that he was doing it again now, at the age of thirty-three. But, he had a feeling it would make the older man smile and that was all that really mattered. So, as the hour passed, the floor became covered with tiny pieces of paper, his fingers became encased in tape and the impish smile on his face grew larger until his lips were spread into a huge crooked grin.

This was definitely more fun than he thought it would be and he was incredibly happy with the result, stepping back to marvel at his masterpiece just as the scratching of the key in the lock announced the arrival of his better half. Toshiya smiled softly as he heard the older man grumble about children and morons, the rustling of the bags being brought through the front door and, eventually, the soft padding of Die’s shoeless feet on the carpet as he came into the living room.

“Can you help me with the sho---“ The guitarist’s voice was cut off by surprise as he took in the scenery in front of him, wide eyes searching every inch of the room. There hadn’t been giant paper snowflakes hanging from the ceiling when he left earlier… and yet, the space was completely full of them now, spinning slowly in mid air, the scene strangely beautiful. He stepped further into the room, a smile slowly spreading on his lips as he reached up to touch one of them, his eyes swiveling to his lover. “You did this?”

“Nah, the snowflake fairy paid us a visit,” Toshiya grinned, a little chuckle escaping his throat as he crossed his arms, trying to look annoyed but failing. “Little bastard left a mess on the floor.”

“Alright, smart arse,” Die laughed quietly, ruffling the bassist’s curly hair. “I mean, why did you do it?”

The younger man shrugged with one shoulder. “You wanted snow.”

That was the only answer he was going to give, not really wanting to go into details about how he knew it would make the other man happy. Die nodded in understanding. He knew anyway and didn’t need any other answer. He smiled, his eyes filled with warmth, suddenly feeling twenty years younger and stretched his neck to give Toshiya a soft and slow kiss.

“Thank you.”