Australian Beauty

Lost

His eyes quickly swept around us, trying to figure a way out of our kismet; the row boat was left in pieces of wood, swaying back and forth in the tide, torn life jackets floating on shore. Sam finally took a seat next to me on the sand, roughly rubbing his hands against his face.

“There’s no way we’re going to get off this island. No coast guard will know that we are stranded...”
Cautiously placing my hand on Sam’s shoulder, I gently squeezed with satisfaction that he wouldn’t mind. Instead, his head turned toward me, a reviving smile converting his frown. Grabbing my hand, he toyed with my fingers before standing up, pulling me to my feet as well.

“We need to find shelter; it’s getting darker by the minute.” Nodding, I followed suit as he charged through the trees, roots and twigs scraping at my bare legs and ankles. I made wincing noises, Sam turning back to look at me every few minutes. But by the time we were further into the forest, he scooped up, carrying me till we hit a delta, fresh water dispersing out. Dropping me, he bent to the river bed, cupping water in his hands, bringing it to his lips.

“We’ll have to make due around here, where we won’t have to travel far for water.” Wiping his mouth off, he stood, sighing. “Come on,”

Four miles ahead we found a cave. Six feet deep and dark; this day was becoming more and more like the plot for Castaway. But the only difference was that this was reality, not a movie script.
Sam was busy making utensils out of what was around us; baboon he used to make a fence like door, binding it all with the string from the tree. I tried my best to help, collecting anything that may become of value: Coconuts, sticks, bark. It wasn’t much, but I was foreign, unlike Sam, who seemed used to the fact of being left on an island. Something told me he had been before.

“Alright, the door should keep animals from getting in. But as for light...” His eyes were darting around again, his body already at move with the idea forming in his busy little brain. He gathered sticks, leaves and moss, making a neat yet messy fire pit, fetching a light from his pocket. Smiling he turned to me.

“I knew this would come in handy.” Lowering the flame, the pit caught fire, warmth ricocheting toward me. I relaxed, feeling a bit content. Sam came to sit by me in the darkness of the cave. I could make out his profile barely. His arm snaked around my waist, bringing me closer to him. “I’m sorry I couldn’t keep my word with your father.”

“Word?” I saw him nod.

“I promised him I would keep you safe, but look: I almost got you killed, and now you’re millions of miles away from home.”
Finding his hand in the dark, I gripped it tightly. “I’d rather be on this god forsaken island with you over anybody—any day.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter; I wasn't sure what someone would make out of the resources in a forest. Sorry if it sounded a little...lame.

haha. Comments would be terrific.