‹ Prequel: Habits

The Creeps

Hunting

It was time to hunt, time to eat. Craig knew what he was about to do. Alex had explained it.
He was going to kill a human, only to keep on living his own life. Killing. It was what Craig was about to do, his whole life.

The Creeps weren't able to survive with human food. It would've slowly and painfully killed them. The only way was to drink human blood. Drinking only the blood was okay, but couldn’t get them through for too long. Sometimes they had to drink it, when none of their victims was near.

There was a list, on which their food was registered. One after one, they would've gone through it, making sure not to forget any.

The list contained mostly of drug addicts and people who didn’t have a purpose. Never did they end a teenager's or even kid's life. They had to make sure everyone on the list, was old enough to not get into the changing anymore. If they ever killed someone like them, they were screwed. You would refer to it as cannibalism, which was one of the biggest sins.

The Creeps didn’t make this list themselves, though. There was one guy, he was the oldest and most experienced one of them. He knew exactly, when someone was perfect to get a place on the list. He was The Man; everyone called him this. The Man could decide on each of their lives. If he thought they had sinned, he was allowed to order someone over them.

If one of The Creeps had sinned, he was banned, and most likely also killed. The Man couldn’t take a joke, when one of his siblings didn’t abide to the rules. He never let them go, without any kind of punishment.

Hunting was always hard in the beginning. Mostly because freshman hadn't built everything yet.

The teeth, they needed to bite through the skin, haven't been there already, which meant that someone had to start with the person, and leave something for the novice.

The wings were helping a lot, because they helped getting to each place very fast, and most importantly almost invisible. These, however, were only built some time after the changing.

Also, their ability to run inhumanely fast, wasn’t fully there yet. They had to train it over month.

There was more about this life, than the simple facts, I have already given you, though it's hard to understand for a human.

By now Craig and Alex were on the run. They were following their next, or more likely Craig's first, victim. It was a guy, about thirty years old, drunk, an addict.
The alcohol and drugs, wouldn’t have done The Creeps any harm, they were immune, it almost made the blood better.

The guy was currently trying to get home, which was pretty hard in his drunken state. He just got into a small park in town. Alex and Craig only waited for him in the middle, where no one could've seen them.

As soon, as the guy was in sight, they got out of their hiding place, making their way over to him. One of them holding him, the other slowly pushing his teeth into the skin on his neck.

For Alex the blood was something normal. He was used to this, after all, he did it every week. Craig, however, hadn't drunk blood before, he had always been disgusted by it. Though, he had to drink it right now, if he wanted to stay alive.

Half of the guy's blood was still left for Craig, who slowly put his mouth onto the wound, and started sucking. Surprisingly he liked it, the taste was nothing compared to human food, it even tasted better, in his opinion.