Make It Back to Me

What They'd Been Waiting For

January 10th 2010
The past month had flown by despite the fact that Evelyn spent most of her time in her and Ben’s house, watching TV and reading her pregnancy and birthing books. She laughed, realizing she knew all she needed to about pregnancy (she had survived nine months of it, after all) and childbirth (she and Ben had taken the classes and were more than prepared). The thing she really needed to learn was motherhood, and unfortunately Evelyn knew that no matter how many books there were on the subject, it was something she would have to learn for herself.

Even though she had spent the past month in the house, it seemed she was never alone. Whenever Ben wasn't home, Kita and Phoebe were there, keeping the soon-to-be mother occupied and entertained. Besides her husband and friends to keep her sane, the holidays had also been a good distraction. Besides her family coming in from Arizona, Ben's family had come in from Ottawa too. The entire family couldn't have been more excited about the pending arrival of baby Eager, especially his two soon-to-be uncles, Ben's younger brother and Evelyn's older brother.

The holidays brought Ben and Evelyn Eager more things for the baby than they could ever imagine from their families, from the girls, and even from the guys on the team. Unlike her birthday (for which she had a joint party with Patrick Kane) every gift she received was for the baby. It was already clear that with the large family the Eager's had (and not just their actual family but their Blackhawks family too) that the baby was going to be incredibly spoiled.

As Evelyn stepped out of her car, she grinned over at Phoebe and Kita who only shook their heads. "You look like you're going to pop any second, Lyn," Phoebe said with worried eyes. "Are you sure you should be here?"

"I'm scheduled to have the baby on Tuesday," Evelyn responded. "Besides, if I do go into labor tonight, I'd rather be at the United Center with Ben than all the way at home."

"I guess that's true," Kita agreed as Phoebe nodded, but Evelyn could tell they were still worried as the three girls headed into the arena to watch their boys take on the Anaheim Ducks.

Evelyn rolled her eyes and slung her purse over her shoulder as she adjusted her black tunic top after they had gotten in the doors and were walking to their seats. It seemed her two best friends were literally shoving people out of her way, saying things like ‘watch out’, ‘get out of the way’, and Evelyn’s favorite ‘Ben Eager’s pregnant wife coming through’. By the time they reached their seats after Evelyn stopped at a concession stand for a huge diet coke, both Kita and Phoebe were exhausted from the trip, making Evelyn laugh.

At the end of the first period, the Ducks were up two goals to none, but Evelyn wasn’t concerned about that. She gasped as she felt pain shoot through her stomach, knowing it was a contraction. Kita and Phoebe both turned to look at her, but Evelyn waved them off. “Cramp,” she said, making sure to look at her cell phone to note the time. There was no need to get them worried when it wasn't immediately necessary.

After the intermission passed and the second period started without another contraction, Evelyn was beginning to relax; she had read she would start having contractions close to birthing and until they were only five minutes apart and lasted a full two minutes, she had nothing to worry about.

In the third period when the Hawks were still down two goals to none, Duncan Keith got lucky on a power play, splitting the lead to only one goal, late in the period. While the rest of the United Center jumped up in celebration, Evelyn stayed in her seat, another contraction – more painful and longer than the first one – making her double over in pain and a loud moan come from her mouth. She checked her phone again and made a note of the time as Kita and Phoebe sat back down, completely oblivious.

“You alright?” Kita asked, placing a hand on Evelyn’s knee, who just smiled sideways (something she had obviously learned from her husband) and nodded, mumbling about cramps again, returning to watching the game.

It ended up being a loss for their boys, as the Ducks managed to score another goal and make the final score three goals to one. Evelyn was just glad the game was over and she could go home, relax, and properly measure her contractions. She was scheduled to get induced the day after next, on Tuesday; couldn’t the baby wait? Evelyn laughed silently to herself as they made their way to the locker room, realizing how ridiculous the thought had been. Babies don’t wait to come out when it’s convenient or scheduled.

Just a few feet from the entrance to the locker room, Evelyn stopped, resting along the cool, brick wall as another contraction came over her. Lasting even longer than the last one, and only ten minutes after, she knew the birth of her child was close. After it was done, she rushed into the locker room, finding a seat in the lounge area. She looked like she was playing with her cell phone to everyone else, but she was actually waiting for another contraction with the clock feature on her phone opened, wanting to measure the time in between them and how long they lasted.

It wasn’t long when another one came, and she started the clock, measuring how long it lasted. She cursed as the second hand ticked on and the pain did not subside. She climbed off the couch as best she could and made her way into the locker room, shoving past reporters and coaching staff.

“Evelyn?” She heard, and looking to her left she saw Patrick Kane staring at her worriedly. She reached out for him, grabbing his hand as another contraction came, way less than five minutes later and more painful than ever. Patrick cursed as she gripped his hand and breathlessly asked where Ben was. He seemed to understand what was going on (the entire team knew it would be any day until the arrival of the baby) and immediately led her to Ben’s locker through the sea of reporters asking for words from one of the Blackhawks’ star players.

“Get out of the way and shut up; all of you!” He yelled, making the whole locker room go quiet, never having heard the young star snap at them before.

Ben stood up as soon as he saw Patrick holding up his wife, her face showing she was obviously in pain as she held her stomach. “Evelyn?!” He asked, frantic as he rushed to her.

She looked up at him with wide eyes as she felt another sensation related to childbirth, “We have to go to the hospital. My water just broke.” Ben stared at her with wide eyes for a second before he raced to his locker to change into street clothes without shame and put his bag in charge of whoever, he didn't care. He grabbed Evelyn’s hand and rushed her from the locker room and out to their car, where an on-duty police officer working that night’s game was more than happy to give them an escort to the hospital.

“I was having contractions all during the game,” she said, as Ben drove behind the police car. “But they,” she paused, feeling another come on. “Didn’t get close together or this painful until I was outside the locker room.” Ben nodded, looking nervous. Evelyn laughed, despite the pain, grabbing his hand. “Everything’s fine. I have the bag in your trunk. I thought something like this might’ve happened.”

They were at their hospital within a few minutes, glad it was almost directly in between their house and the United Center. They thanked the police officer a million times as Evelyn climbed into the wheel chair waiting for her thanks to her having called the hospital while they were on their way. Ben held her hand as the nurse wheeled her into the hospital, to the elevators, and up to the maternity wing.

When they were in a room, the nurse changed Evelyn into a gown and did the standard tests on Evelyn, checking all her vitals to make sure there were no complications with her. After she had been hooked up to the machines, stretched out in the bed, and was told she was definitely in labor and they were waiting on her doctor to come in, which should be any minute.

All they had to do was wait.

Evelyn had her eyes closed, resting as much as she could when she heard Ben shuffling around the room. Peeking an eye open, she burst out laughing when he saw he had the dilation chart. “What’s this mean?”

Evelyn laughed again, pointing to the largest circle, the ten centimeter circle, “The baby won’t come until I’m there.”

“What do you mean ‘you’re there’? Like, you..?”

“Yes, Ben.”

He made a disgusted face and put the chart back where it got it from, settling into the seat next to Evelyn’s bed, grabbing her hand with his and pressing a kiss to it. “I love you,” he told her. “I had no idea all that women go through to give birth.” She smiled and leaned over to kiss him, keeping one hand locked in his and the other on her belly, repeating his words back to him.

“Evelyn!” Doctor Collins beamed, coming into the room. “The baby couldn't wait, huh?”

She laughed, “I guess not.”

Doctor Collins laughed, too, and sat down in front of Evelyn, checking things out and assessing where they were at. “Looks like the little guy will be coming soon. I wouldn’t expect more than a half our honestly,” he told her, also telling her he’d be back to check in a little while.


“He’s coming,” she whispered, tears springing to her eyes as she stared at Ben. He grinned and pressed a kiss to her forehead, telling her to close her eyes again.

-

If Evelyn thought contractions were hard, they were nothing compared to actual childbirth. It didn’t matter how much medicine they gave her, she felt every single second and every single inch. Pushing was so hard, she wanted to give up when her baby was still not out, but Ben’s gentle voice in her ear as he held her hand and ran his fingers through her damp hair were enough to keep her going.

“Give me one more, big one, Evelyn,” Doctor Collins said, urging her on.

“Come on, beautiful, one more,” Ben added, kissing her sweaty forehead. Evelyn nodded and did as she was told, giving another big push accompanied by a loud scream. After her yell died out, the room was filled with a baby’s cries, and Evelyn burst into happy tears, as Ben wrapped his arms around her as the nurses carried their son to get weighed and make sure everything was in order.

“Mr. and Mrs. Eager,” Doctor Collins started, walking over with the baby in his arms. “Congratulations on a healthy and happy baby boy.”

Evelyn reached her arms out, taking her and Ben’s son from the doctor and cradling him on her chest, crying as she smiled down at the tiny baby boy in her arms. “He’s so beautiful,” she said, kissing his forehead lightly, before examining his pale pink skin, his tiny fingers, his cute little lips, his button nose, his big blue eyes, and the tuft of brown hair on his head.

“He’s perfect,” Ben added, as the nurses fluttered around cleaning up the room and Evelyn, but she was too enthralled in her son to care. After nine months of waiting, he was finally there and Evelyn couldn’t be happier. She smiled up at Ben, tiredly giving him a kiss as he smiled down at her.

“He has your eyes,” she said, as there was a knock at the door and Kita and Phoebe stepped in with Adam, Niklas, and Patrick Kane behind them, Adam telling them the doctor had heard they were all there and had come to tell them about the baby's quick arrival.

“Oh my gosh,” Kita gushed, grinning widely with tears in her eyes as Phoebe put a hand over her mouth in awe. Even Adam, Niklas, and Patrick were all smiles at the site of the tiny baby. “Brown hair, and… blue eyes?” Kita asked, getting closer to the bed where both Evelyn and Ben sat, squeezed together, obviously enjoying their first moments together as parents.

Evelyn nodded and the room went quiet, everyone’s gaze turning to Adam Burish, whose eyes were wide as he held his hands up. “That kid is not mine, I swear,” he said, making everyone laugh.

“What’s his name?” Niklas asked, tilting his head curiously as he continued to stare at the baby. Ben paused and looked down at Evelyn, realizing they had never actually decided.

Evelyn looked back up at her husband, a smile on her face as she calmly and happily said, “Benjamin Arthur Eager, Junior.” At that, Ben couldn’t contain the tears that had been building up since he first heard his son’s cries. He took the tiny baby, his baby, from his wife’s arms and cradled his mini-me against his chest, smiling proudly down at the little boy in his arms.

“That’s perfect,” Kita said, letting more tears fall from her own eyes as Adam wrapped an arm around her from behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, right?
A lot of you told me how much you wanted Baby Eager to arrive, so I made it happen!
I'm not going to lie, I CRIED A LOT writing this chapter. I'm both emotionally attached to my characters of Ben and Evelyn, AND I really, really want a baby myself, honestly.

I would loveloveloveLOVE you forever if you left me a comment! <3
Another update soon, I hope! (=