Sequel: Dove and Grenade

The Natives

Twelve

I pulled a purple Avenged Sevenfold shirt off the shelf and held it up to me. God, I hadn't been to a Hot Topic in months- probably years. Meredith picked out a Poison shirt and an Aerosmith shirt, and it was me that was being picky. Matt, Aron, and Dillon were staring at the bras in the opposite aisle. More than likely, all were picturing someone in each one.

I held three shirts in one arm and two pairs of jeans in the other. I smiled at Meredith, who indicated we should crash the boys' party. I agreed and went to stand in between my brother and Matt. Matt took the shirts out of my hands.

"Avenged Sevenfold," he said. "Seasons After, and- ew- this can't come into my house."

He held up my Cage The Elephant shirt, and I snatched it away from him.

"First off, it's my house," I said. "Second, I'll listen to whatever I damn well want to. And third- shut up!"

Dillon chuckled, "You guys sound like an old married couple."

"Shut up," Matt and I said at the same time.

We looked at each other and immediately looked away. Don't look back at him. Holding my shirts, I looked up at him. He was half smiling, and I felt my face grow hot.

"Let's just get outta here before I buy more stuff," I mumbled as I walked to the counter.

I caught Aron grinning stupidly between the two of us, and I stomped on his foot harshly.

"Fuck!" he hissed. "Damnit, Kara!"

I set my stuff on the counter and paid for it as quickly as possible. There was no way I'd make it out of this without another of Dill's jokes. I heard Meredith scolding him, though, and I hoped my personal torment was over.

I turned away from the counter, and my face was met with Matt's chest.

"Fuck," I said, stumbling backwards.

Matt caught me and said, "Jesus, Kara, having problems today?"

I shook my head and said, "No, no, let's just get outta here."

I left the store without another word, but no one followed me out. I figured they all had to pay for their stuff too, so I sat down on the bench across the way. My ass had barely reached the seat when my phone rang.

It was Ashley.

"Hey," I said, cheering up a little.

"Kara, hey," said Ashley. "Sorry I haven't called in the past couple days. I've been working a doubleshift at work, and it's been hectic."

"It's fine," I said.

"Listen, I really enjoyed Friday," Ashley continued.

"Me too," I said. "Until my asshole brother interrupted."

"It was no big deal. I've had worse situations."

"Alright, well, we should do it again sometime."

"That's actually what I called about. I was wondering if you had anything going on Thursday. I know it's an odd day for a date, but it's the only one I have off next week."

"Okay, sure. That'd be fine."

"I'll pick you up at your house, 'kay? At around sixish?"

"Sounds good! I'll see you Thursday."

"See you then, Kara."

I heard him hang up, and I did the same. I glanced up at Meredith and Dillon, exiting the store followed by Matt and Aron. Meredith grinned.

"Was that who I think it was?" she asked.

"If you're thinking of Ashley, then yes," I replied.

I saw Matt's expression go sour for a minute, and Aron rolled his eyes. I flipped them both off and turned back to Mer.

"So?" she said. "When?"

"Thursday," I said. "He's picking me up at six."

"Oh, where's he taking you this time?" she giggled. "Somewhere as fanciful as Angelini?"

"He didn't say," I said. "I guess I'll just have to wait to find out."

"Wait? That's stupid."

"I'm sorry." Matt had begun to walk away and I added, "I'll be back."

Meredith sat down with Dillon and Aron as I jogged to catch up with Matt.

"Matt, dude, what's your problem?" I said, catching him by the arm.

"Kara, you already know how I feel about Ashley," Matt sighed. "He's not right for you."

"Look, that's what you think," I said. "I can't tell you what to think or what not to think. But I happen to like Ashley. He's smart, funny, handsome-"

"Everything the rest of them weren't, right? Even George and Jay."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I just mean, you're better off with someone you don't have to impress."

"I don't have to impress Ashley. He likes me for who I am."

"Is that what you think?"

"Yes."

"Any guy that says he cares about you is lying. Men care about one thing, and don't try telling me different."

I stopped. Couldn't deny that. But I also couldn't let him win.

"Does that mean you and all the others are lying, too?"

Now it was his turn to stop. He shrugged and said, "We all care about you and the way you live your life."

I got up as close to his face as I could and said, "Liar."

He said nothing as I walked back.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was cold. What do you think? Team Kara or Team Matt? Who's right here?

Comment, bitches!