Sequel: Dove and Grenade

The Natives

Nineteen

"Alex, why the fuck are you calling me?" I demanded.

"Kara, I'm sorry," Alex's voice spoke to me as if I was a child. "I screwed up-"

"No, you screwed the neighbor," I snapped.

"I know I messed up, but I want another chance," Alex said. "I'm sorry. I realize now what I was missing. You were everything to me."

"Then why did you do it?" I said, my voice beginning to crack.

There was a long pause, and I knew Alex was just thinking up an excuse- just like he always had. I shook my head and covered my eyes with my hand. I bit the inside of my lip, still waiting for an answer I knew would never come.

"Look, will you just move back here with me?" Alex finally said. "I can prove to you I've changed-"

"I don't want you, Alex!" I replied. "Don't you get that? I'm back in LA where I'm supposed to be. The people I love are here. People who love me are here. If you loved me, you would be too. I just can't be with someone who loves me only when I'm not there."

"I did love you, Kara," Alex said. "I just didn't know it until you were gone."

I squeezed the phone angrily and said, "You don't love me, Alex." I spat his name like it was a disease.

There was another pause on the other line until he finally replied, "You can believe what you want, but I need you."

I let out a small laugh. "You have this all scripted? Is what I'm saying not in your stupid little playwrite? Listen to what I'm saying, Alex: I don't want you in my life. I'm fine the way I am."

"Kara, stop," Alex snapped. "Stop being a selfish bitch and see I do actually love-"

"Bitch?" I repeated. "Me? Says the man who cheated on the so-called "love of his life" with someone barely able to think for herself!"

I was practically screaming now. Alex had treated me like shit for the last six months of our relationship, and him wanting me to come back to Bakersfield was like asking a lion to give up its food. I wouldn't do it.

"Don't you think you're overdramatizing?" Alex said in a low voice.

"Alex! Wake up! I'm never coming back!"

"We aren't done yet-"

"We are done! Call here again and see what happens. I'll have George and Jordan on your ass so fast you won't even know what hit you-"

"Oh, yeah, that's right. You always have your precious boy toys at your beckon call."

"Are you gonna start shit with them too? Say what you want about me, but leave my brother and his friends out of this."

"Is that a threat?"

"Yeah, it is. Try me, and see what happens."

"One day, you're going to realize what you lost-"

"I already know what I lost- a stupid fucking asshole who can't see past a girl's skin to get even a little bit closer to her. You're an idiot, Alex DeWalt." I let a small silence grow between us before I said, "And I'm sorry I ever met you."

I hung up before he could say another word. I slipped on some shorts and ran my fingers through my hair. I hadn't even realized I'd been crying until now, but I stood up. I shook my head and opened my door.

Matt, Aron, George, Jordan, Meredith, Dillon, and Jorel stood around my door, standing there like they'd been caught listening to my conversation. I sniffed and rubbed away a tear.

"Something you all wanna say," I choked, pushing past them.

But none of them said anything as I shuffled down the steps and to the kitchen. No one followed me, and no one bothered me. I closed my eyes and leaned against the counter, my head in my hands.

"Kara?"

I looked up. Matt stood in the archway to the kitchen, but no one was around him. I shook my head and rested it back down on the counter. A moment later I felt a pair of arms wrap around me, and I felt him put his forehead down on my shoulder.

"Everything's going to be fine," Matt whispered. "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
There is some big stuff coming up in the next few updates. I've gotten over my writers block, and I'm sure you'll get a few more soon enough!

Comments are loved greatly. :] HU4L