Sequel: Dove and Grenade

The Natives

Twenty-One

Matt pulled away slowly, his hands never leaving me though. We stared at each other a bit, not moving or saying anything. In fact, it was Aron that made the noise that made me look away. He ran into the room, stopping when he saw us. He eyed the shattered bottle of tequila and looked back at me.

"What the hell's going on in here?" he demanded.

I opened my mouth, trying to explain it, but how could I? Matt's hand dropped from my waist, but he didn't move otherwise.

"Alright, forget it," Aron said. "I might not want to know. But for Christ's sake, clean this up. Look at my fucking wall, Kara!"

I glanced over, noting the dent and stain the broken bottle had left. I turned back to Aron. "Sorry, bro," I said. "I'll clean it up."

"Yeah, you bet you're cleaning it up," Aron said. "And stop wasting perfectly good alcohol. No relative of mine in their right mind does that."

Matt chuckled, "I'll help. It was partially my fault too-"

"I'm not sure I want you around my sister," Aron replied.

"Aron, it's fine," I said. "We'll clean it up and be up to bed in no time."

Aron gave me a warning look and said, "In separate bedrooms."

I nodded, but inside, I couldn't be promising anything. Aron shook his head, and I let go of Matt. He left to get a bag and towels from the kitchen, and I stopped Aron.

"Don't fuck with him, Kara," Aron said in a low voice.

"I'm not," I said. "I..." I paused and said, "I think I really love him."

"You what?" hissed Aron. "Are you high?"

"Look, he's the only one I feel comfortable with," I said, "and he's the only one I can be me around."

"All I'm saying is if this ends like you and Jay did, you can't live here anymore," Aron said. "You can't try all of my friends and get away with it."

"I didn't try to fall in love, Aron," I said. "I just think..."

Matt came back, and I turned to look at him. He smiled, but he said nothing. I turned back to Aron who shook his head.

"I promise," I said. "I'm not gonna fuck this up."

Aron gently punched my shoulder, and I returned the gesture. He left Matt and I alone again in the dining room. Matt sat down and began putting the glass shards in a bag. I knelt down beside him and picked up a large piece.

"Are we gonna talk about this?" I asked.

He looked at me. "Kara, I've been waiting for you to say those words to me for years."

"I...I don't..." I stumbled over my words.

"It's been hard," he said, "watching you with others."

"I'm sorry," I said.

Matt shrugged and shook his head, "So am I. I could have told you. I didn't. Cuz I'm a fuckin' pussy and can't just say something to your face half the time."

I picked up another shard and threw it in the sack. He touched my chin and made me look up to meet his eyes.

"I should have told you a long time ago," he said. "I love you, Kara."

I reached for another shard and felt it slice through the skin across my palm. I dropped the shard and drew my hand back.

"Shit," I said.

I looked down and felt my head began to spin as I saw the blood. I hated blood. Matt pulled my hand to him, and his face contorted in discomfort. He pulled his shirt off and held it tightly against my skin.

"You're gonna need stitches," he said. "Come on. I'm taking you to the hospital."

He stood and picked me up, bridal style. I rested my head against his shoulder, feeling faint from the sight of my own blood. I clutched his arm with my good hand though, trusting him to make it alright.

"Aron!" Matt shouted. "Aron! Kara cut her hand open! I'm taking her to the hospital!"

Aron rushed in to see, and he grabbed his keys. "I'll drive," he said. "Let's go."

Matt had barely got the door shut as he gently set me in the backseat with him when Aron sped away from the house. He held my good hand, and I smiled.

"I'm not gonna die, Matty," I said. "It's just a cut hand."

He leaned in close to me and kissed my cheek. I felt his warm breath against my skin, and I shivered. He brought his lips to my ear.

"You're everything to me," he whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nawww...Matty and Kara ^-^

Comments? I know there are more of you out there not commenting! ;]