Sequel: Dove and Grenade

The Natives

Twenty-Eight

I woke up in the morning, still in my dress. I lay on Matt's bed facing him. He was still in his suit, but his tie hung loosely around his neck and his coat was draped over my shoulders. The corner of his mouth twitched, and I let a smile pass my lips.

I knew Meredith and Dillon were leaving for the Bahamas early in the morning, so I assumed they'd already left. They'd left shortly before Matt, Aron, and I did last night. Lauren had taken George and Jordan home, both too drunk to walk straight, and Jorel left just after they did. The wedding had been so beautiful for such a short amount of time.

Matt shifted, turning to lay on his other side, away from me. I leaned over and kissed his cheek, then I stood and picked up my heels from the floor. He took in a deep breath as I opened the door and left the room.

I shut the door as quietly as possible, but my hand never left the handle. I leaned against the door. Even the small distance between us now was too much, and I wanted to open the door and be with him again. I heard a noise from down the hall, though, and I looked up.

Aron came out into the hall and stretched, and he stumbled over his feet. I half smiled, taking a step to catch him. He patted my shoulder.

"Kara," he said. "Sleep well?"

"We didn't have sex, if that's what you mean," I replied.

"Maybe I'm asking a legit question," Aron said. "Sheesh..."

"What's this?" I asked, holding up his arm.

In blue ink, there was written a name and a phone number, smudged but still readable. I read the name. Charlette. I looked back at Aron, who was grinning. He wiggled his eyebrows and I shook my head.

"Tell me this isn't Meredith's cousin Charlette," I said.

"Which one was she?" Aron asked.

"The one that wrote her phone number on your fucking arm!" I said.

"She was hot," Aron sighed.

I rolled my eyes and left him. He stumbled again, but he regained his own balance this time and managed to make it down the stairs without dying. I followed him to make sure he'd be alright, but I wasn't really paying attention.

"So are you gonna call her?" I asked.

"Maybe," Aron said.

"You'd better call her, dumbass," I snapped. "A girl is actually interested in you. How often does that happen?"

"Quite often, actually," replied Aron.

"If you don't call her, I will," I said. "And you won't like what I say to her."

Aron stared at me for a second before saying, "Fine. I'll call her later."

"Thank you, bro," I said sweetly.

"Yeah, yeah," he said. "Don't get all touchy-feely on me."

A silence grew between us as he poured some cereal for himself. I sat down in one of the chairs across from him, and he leaned against the counter. He gave me a look that read "why are you still in your dress?" but I ignored him. He was my brother; I didn't have to take this shit.

"Hypothetical question," he said suddenly. "And this is completely hypothetical. No real connection whatsoever."

"Okay..." I said.

"What if - seriously if - Matt asked you to marry him?" Aron said.

"Aron, what kind of question is that?" I asked.

"I'm just wondering," said Aron. "You guys have known each other since we were kids, and obviously you've loved each other for a really long time. I'm just wondering what you would say if he asked you."

"Are you insinuating he's going to ask me?" I replied.

"No, I said this is hypothetical."

"Sure."

"Sure, you'd say yes?"

"No, Aron, it was a sarcastic 'sure' to your stupid reasoning."

"Kara, I've never seen either of you so in love with anyone before. I'm asking because I want to know."

I shrugged and said, "I don't know what I'd say. I haven't thought about it. At all."

"Respect," Aron said, nodding.

He shut up after that, but my mind was now fully working. What if he did pop the question? I loved him more than anyone else, but I didn't know if I was ready for that yet.

I stood up and went to the cabinet, where I got down a bottle of tequila. I got down a shot glass and poured myself a full glass. Aron watched me intently, studying my every move and waiting for me to do something stupid (like throw it). Instead, I picked up the shot and downed it. He shook his head.

"Need a pick-me-up?" he asked.

"Like no other," I replied, pouring myself another shot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Charlette will be our new character, from the lovely mind of RandaRue22. You'll see more of her in the sequel, but I wanted to get an intro out there. Thanks, girl!

So, what do you guys think? There's only two more chapters left. Excited? :)