Sequel: Dove and Grenade

The Natives

Thirty

For the next week, Aron had stayed out of Matt and I's business. I was glad for it, mostly because I hated people sticking their noses where they didn't belong. Aron had called Charlette a couple days after the wedding, and he'd set up a dinner date for tonight. Finally, Matt and I were going to be alone.

Matt lay on the couch, half watching the George Lopez marathon that had begun earlier. Aron was taking his own sweet time getting ready, and I was all but shoving him out the door. My patience was running out, but luckily he was almost through. He stopped in the doorway, glancing back at Matt.

"Have fun, Aron," I said. "And be nice to her."

"I'm not totally classless," snorted Aron. "Besides, shouldn't you be the one having the fun?"

He gave me a wink, and I felt my cheeks grow hot. I punched his shoulder.

"See ya, Kara," chuckled Aron.

He shut the door behind him, and I sighed. I went and sat down on the floor beside Matt's shoulders. He turned to face me.

"I was thinkin' Chinese," he said. "You in?"

I nodded and said, "Bourbon chicken sounds good."

He kissed me before sitting up and then leaving. I drew my knees up to my chest, trying to control the beating of my heart, and I took a deep breath. I stared at the tv, waiting for Matt to come back, which he did none to quickly.

He was laughing quietly to himself when he came back in the room, and he sat back down on the couch. I crawled up and sat beside him, and he put an arm around my shoulders.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"Asian guy," Matt said. "Couldn't understand a damn word he said."

"I better be getting my damn chicken then!" I said, pretending like I wasn't laughing.

"I don't know," Matt said. "What does 'You wan esstra wice wid dee cheeken' sound like? Sounded like a 'yeah, sure, whatever' to me."

I giggled, but soon it grew silent between us again. I leaned my head against his shoulder and smiled. He kissed the top of my head.

"Matt?" I said.

"Kara," he replied, looking back down at me.

"I love you," I said.

"You know I love you too, baby girl," Matt said, taking my hand.

He turned my hand over, looking at the scar that had formed from the tequila bottle cut. I looked away from it, but he smiled at me. I felt his lips brush against my cheek, melting me a little bit. I looked up, and my lips somehow found themselves against his again. He smiled; this time it was my turn to find my way into his mouth. He didn't seem to mind, though, and he was soon on top of me, yet again.

This night could only get better.
-------------------------------------------------------
Chinese in our stomachs and sex finally off the brain when Aron came home, we settled back on the couch. George Lopez was still on, but it didn't bother me. I'd grown accustomed to his humor after being around Meredith for so long.

"Carmen's such a bitch," I said halfway through an episode.

"Yeah," Matt said stiffly.

I looked over at him. "Something up?" I asked.

"Can- can we talk?" he said.

"Yeah," I said.

I turned to face him. His facial expression, the way he was sweating and playing with his hands... Something was wrong, and my heart suddenly didn't like where this was going. He took my hand; he was shaking. I bit my lip, waiting for the worst to come.

"Kara, I've known you for a hell of a long time," Matt began. "I don't want you to think you'll ever be anything less than my best friend. I don't know how exactly all this happened, but it's taken forever to get my brain in order."

With every word he spoke, I felt this conversation was going to be the downfall of our relationship. Now I was beginning to shake, and Matt gave my hand a gentle squeeze.

"I want to be with you, Kara," he said, his voice now starting to shake. "And I know it seems so soon, but I love you more than anything, and..."

He reached around to the end table, and he opened the drawer. He held a small velvet box, running his hands over it nervously. He moved off the couch, and went to kneel beside me.

Immediately, a wave of mixed emotions flew past me, and I had to readjust myself. He half smiled, and I took a deep breath.

"Matty...is that a...?"

"Kara, I've never been sure about anything in my life," he said, "except for one thing. I'm more than positive I love you more than I love breathing. And I want to spend forever with you."

He opened the box, and I nearly fainted. It was exactly what I thought it was, but it was nothing what I expected. My heart skipped too many beats, and I could feel myself shaking. I couldn't even breathe as the words left his lips.

"Will you marry me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
See you in a few days. ;)