Dark Beauty

Conversations

"We need to speak tonight." Andreas said gliding to a wingback chair and sitting elegantly.

Layla raised an eyebrow curiously. "And just what are we going to talk about?"

"The books," Andreas said simply. "I need to know everything about them."

She sighed and Andreas beat down the wave of guilt it produced in him. "There's only so much that I can tell you Andreas. I'll tell you what I can, but don't get mad if it's not enough for you."

"I could never be angered at you for such a thing cara," he assured her quickly. "Now who is it who writes these stories of my people."

"It's a lady named Christine Feehan. She writes those book and others too."

"How does she know so much about us?"

"Did it ever occur to you that she has no idea what she's writing about is real?" her voice almost snapped as it lashed out at him. "She could just think that she's making everything up."

Andreas stilled himself so that he showed no reaction to her tone and considered this thought. Was it possible that a person could actually believe that what they wrote had no shred of truth in it? He had not considered the possibility before. It was something he had to think about now. Where are you Julian? Andreas reached for his old friend without even thinking about it.

We shall be with you by Monday evening Andreas. Do not worry, Julian reassured his friend gently.

Andreas severed their connection and turned his attention back to Layla. "I shall consider this as you suggest. What else can you tell me honey? Who are in these stories?"

"Mikhail and Raven. Jacques and Shea. Aidan and Alexandria. Gregori and Savannah. Julian and Desari. Darius and Tempest. Dayan and Corinne. Barrack and Syndil. Lucian and Jaxxon. Gabriel and Francesca. I think there are others, but I can't really remember any right now."

Andreas felt something akin to fear prick him. There were many he knew and respected amongst those she had named. It seemed too much to be a coincidence. What would they do if it was as Layla suggest and just chance. That thought scared him more than any other possibility. "Thank you for telling me these things cara."

Layla looked at him with innocence and curiosity in her eyes. "You can hold my hand Andreas…I just don't want…not until our wedding night."

Andreas relaxed a little as he took Layla's hand into his. "It would be my pleasure Layla."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I laughed at the look on Andreas's face. "Don't look like that. My work is not that bad."

"It is demeaning menial labor. Such work is beneath you. I do not approve of this. I refuse to allow you to do such things."

"I'm going to work Andreas. We had this discussion. Unless you want to make me out to be a liar and someone who is completely untrustworthy. I am going to work. Besides, I don't mind washing dishes. It could be something a lot worse and it's only for three hours."

"I do not like it."

I sighed and shook my head. We were both so pig-headed, but I had read stories, I had the upper-hand (I hoped). "I didn't ask if you liked it or not Andreas. It's my job. I'm going. You can like it or live with it. Your choice."

"Know this little lifemate," Andreas growled. "After we have had this wedding that you desire, you will obey me."

I kissed Andreas on the cheek. "Maybe. See you tonight honey." I bolted out of the limo knowing if I didn't, there was a likelihood that Andreas would lose his little self-control. He had been really good so far. But it hadn't even been twenty-four hours yet and it would have been mean to tease him. Besides, he's stronger than I am. He'd win in a fight.

I was right on time for work. I put my keys up on the counter and clocked in before walking to the dish room. "Morning Mitch!" I yelled as I passed my boss who was coming from the grill by the serving line.

"Morning Layla," Mitch said in his usual droll voice. Jackie was already working in the dish room.

"Hi honey," I tried to sound bright and cheerful. I was getting tired and Andreas wasn't close by.

Do not worry sweetheart, I will be with you in your mind. You are not alone. The sound of his voice in my mind sent waves of comfort and relief through me. I could do this. Like I told Andreas, it was only three hours.

I smiled in spite of myself. He really did care for me. He was trying to keep me from feeling undue discomfort. I know it. It would be the only reason why he would be in my head.

"Hi Layla. I haven't seen you in the dorms all weekend." Katie said coming into the dish room.

"I know," I said with a shrug. "I was staying with a friend."

A friend? Andreas questioned.

If you don't want me kicked out of school, a female friend, I informed him as sternly as I could manage.

"I didn't know that you had known anyone in Nebraska before you came here," Jackie said as she put another load of dishes into the washer.

"I just met her recently. It's no big deal. Besides, we have work to do," I shrugged hoping to get out of any epxlanations.

"Work and chat," Katie ordered. "Lukas was saying that some guy proposed to you in Thomas Parlor Friday night before you left. Explain."

I do not like that human bossing you around, Andreas growled.

I laughed in my mind. That's because you're tired and it's making you grouchy. Now cool it cutie. "Uh, yeah…that would be my fiancé Andreas Dalca. My friend, Desari, is his cousin." Why did I just say that Desari of the Dark Troubadors (which apparently now exists) is your cousin?!

Because she is and she is arriving with her lifemate Julian tomorrow evening. I wanted my jaw to drop but that would have been rather difficult with two of my friends watching me. Instead I just paused for a moment in my work then kept going.

Thanks for telling me earlier Andreas, I growled sarcastically. You realize I'm going to have to arrange to meet them quietly because parlor hours close at eleven-thirty and I can't stay with you again. You have to figure something out that doesn't get me kicked out of school honey.

I could almost see Andreas smiling. If it weren't for the fact that it would piss me off to no end, he probably would have allowed just that. Don't worry honey. I have been thinking of such things. Have faith in me.

Yeah, sure, faith.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Subscriptions? BOTH?!?!