Dark Beauty

Arguing Seth

My jaw dropped. My brain was quickly trying to process what I had just been told. "A-Andreas...that's not possible." I inisisted. Now before you think anything else I was not gonna use the lame excuse: we only had sex one time. For anyone with half a brain, that's stupid. It only takes one time. That wasn't my reasoning in this case. "We were together two weeks ago...first time then. I-it's not possible to know if-if I am or not."

Andreas shook his head. He set me down on the ground and his hand moved to my stomach. "I feel them inside of you cara," he whispered, his breath teasing my ear. "I felt them when we joined. They have not grown yet, but they live inside of you and they will grown. Our children."

My heart flipped at the thought. Our children. Our. Children. I was going to be a mother. I wasn't even twenty years old. That didn't seem to matter though. I knew that I would give up my babies. I had made that decision long before I knew I was pregnant. I'm the type of person, even if I had been alone and raped, I would have kept the children. Babies shouldn't be punished for the sins of the parents.

"We're having a baby," I wished my own hand slowly moving up to rest on top of Andreas's.

"Babies," he corrected softly earning a glare. He laughed in reply. I was now going to have to add this on top of everything else. My list was just piling up more and more. I took deep breaths. I could do this. I knew I could do this. I had to do this. There really wasn't much of a choice in the matter.

"W-we should go join everyone else now," I finally managed to get out looking up at Andreas and then towards where my brothers were with Julian and Desari. I couldn't see them which made things a little worse. What would be happening between all of them right now at this very moment?

Andreas smiled and put a gentle hand in the small of my back. "Of course little one," he said with a smile. They'll be fine, he promised. I gave him a look that very clearly said: They better be. He simply continued to smile as he smoothly ushered me towards the door. I didn’t think that Julian would actually hurt my brothers or that Desari would even allow him to. It was just this over protective instinct in me. I had always been worried about my family.

We went outside and the one terrible thing that could happen without being out of character did happen. My “adopted” older brother was just getting out of his truck. The sour look on his face didn’t bode well for anyone. A little smirk tipped the sides of his lips when he saw me. He walked right up and picked me up in a big hug, despite the fact that I knew Andreas was glaring and growling softly. “Hey little sis…who’s the company?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man had planned that move quite intentionally. It had been an act to provoke. It had worked probably more than he could realize. Andreas stood very still. He was not in a state to react properly. Having denied himself for so long for Layla left him irritable and irrational, he did not want to hurt her by acting on impulses even if the beast wanted it.

Instead, he simply watched and listened doing everything in his power to kill the possessive urges in him that demanded he kill the man before him. “Seth, I want you to meet my friends from in Nebraska. That lovely lady is Desari and the blonde next to her is her husband Julian.” Layla turned towards him with a smile and he could feel himself calm even as his desire for her rose. “And this is Andreas…he’s Desari’s cousin and my boyfriend.”

The man’s blue eyes turned to take Andreas in. Both men stood assessing each other, neither seemed to find approval from the other. Not that the two men were surprised. Seth held out his hand first and Andreas took it warily. “Seth Mitchell, I’m Layla’s older brother.”

“Layla has told me about you,” Andreas assured him. The man was testing Andreas’s grip. He was gentle according to Carpathian standards, but the grip was still firm enough to let this man know that Andreas was not going to back down.

Layla cut in between the two men, attempting to shove them back. Andreas had the courtesy to step back so she didn’t hurt herself in the attempt. “Alright you two, enough of that. Seth and I need to talk, now alone.” Andreas ignored the glare that Layla shot at him. He had ever intention of listening in on this conversation whether she wanted him to or not. It was as simple as that. He had to make sure that Layla was protected at all times. Even from what might be accidents or even her own judgment.

“What is it Layla?” Seth asked as Layla took his arm and started dragging him around to the back of the house. Andreas stood completely still, cut off from Layla’s mind by her own stubborn will, just listening.

We will take the children inside, Julian promised quickly.

Andreas didn’t bother to reply. He was too busy listening to his lifemate and her “brother” chat. “Be nice,” Layla ordered making Andreas smirk.

“I was being nice,” Seth argued. Andreas snorted. That was a blatant lie if he had ever heard on before in his life. “Besides, I don’t even know this guy Layla. I just met him. You just met him. Are you even being rational?”

Layla sighed heavily and Andreas held his body very still. He would not attack. He would not attack. It would upset Layla. He wanted to attack, but he would restrain himself from doing so. No matter how much he desired otherwise, he had to allow his lifemate to take care of herself in this instance. “I’m being rational; you’re the one who sounds like an idiot. You haven’t even met him and you’re already saying you won’t give him a chance Seth. Do you realize how stupid and childish that sounds? Andreas is a good guy and he really cares about me. Now please, I really don’t want you guys fighting okay?”

He could see the struggle in the man’s mind. It would be so easy to tip the scales in his own favor. The only thing that stopped him was his little mate’s fury. He knew what she would do if he even thought to touch the male’s mind. She did seem to love to find ways to complicate things for him. He could find a way around that soon enough he was certain. “That doesn’t mean I have to like him.” His smirk turned into a thing of satisfaction when he heard his little mate’s hand collide with the back of the man’s head.

“I told you to behave,” she growled. He might enjoy this night after all.