Status: only a prologue written so far. but i like this one. working on characters and then the first chapter.

I Still Haven't Left You Behind

uno

The very floor beneath my feet seems rather unsteady, and I know that it isn’t because my head’s messed up. Sure, my emotions are running away with me, but the vibrations from the ground are the result of the pounding bass from the massive amplifier that is less than five feet away from me.

I planned on staying as far away from the stage as possible, but that went out of my hands when a faceless concert-goer lifted me into the air and passed me along to the next obnoxious member of the crowd. I’m sure that my kicking protests against his (or her) actions led to more than one person with my shoe in their face – I’ve resolved to never crowd surf again even if that means avoiding concerts all together. I’d rather play than watch anyways.

Now I’ve got a dead center view of the stage and only one person is between me and the barrier. I can see up the nostrils of the opening act’s bassist and the view isn’t pretty.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t complain about getting a great spot at a great show. But it wasn’t ideal given that I’ve been trying to stay under the radar (I picked out my ink-wash jeans and a black Nirvana tee because there’s no better way to blend in at a rock concert than an all-black get-up).

It wasn’t until I heard the lead singer announce “just one more song for you guys” that my stomach went queasy. I needed to disappear into the crowd and fast. I turned to either side of myself looking for an out but my miracle didn’t surface.

The singer was rambling on with fan appreciation and farewells. That’s when I realized how simple it would be to escape during the sound check!

A riff rang out, the beginning of the first act’s final song and the singer shouted to be heard over it, “How about we bring Drew from the Pronunciations out here and he can help us sing this one since he helped us write it!”

My heart dropped as I heard the name announced to the venue. The cheers confused me; I was ready to do anything but applaud. But I had little time for any reaction because a split second later a tall figure equipped with a Les Paul swaggered onstage. And as he looked out into the eager audience his eyes met mine. Everything paused for a moment as we gauged each other’s reactions. He didn’t look away until a spotlight shined his way and blinded him momentarily.

Then he stepped up to the microphone and sang his heart out in the way that he always has.