Status: active.

Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Three.

The weather the next day was quite amazing, compared to the past two and a half days of rain that we’d ended up with. It seemed like this holiday wouldn’t be as bad as we’d been scared that it might end up after all. I woke up, dazed by the bright light coming in through the open tent. When it registered in my brain what the light meant I sat up almost instantly and then stumbled out of my compartment in the tent. Bridget was already awake and dressed, where as Emma stayed cooped up in the tent complaining of a headache.

“So by the looks of things, little Miss Hangover wont be coming with us today?” I asked Bridget as I watched her struggle to make some breakfast over the camping stove we’d brought with us. My sister shook her head quickly and then laughed.

“She’s such a lightweight.” Bridget told me as she poked at her sausages, as if it was something I hadn’t heard a million times before. “Plus she seemed to get pretty comfortable in someone else’s tent last night, before I rescued her.”

I laughed and ran my hand through my hair. It was a mess, slowly getting more and more uncontrollable as the week went on. My sister was the lucky one out of the pair of us. She’d inherited my mothers thick yet naturally straight hair, where as I had been cursed with having thick yet incredibly curly hair. I was glad to be going in the sea today, because the salt water, for some bizarre reason, usually calmed it down so it was easier to tame.

“Are you coming down to the beach?” I asked my sister after I’d gone back into the tent and changed for the day. I’d thrown on my only bikini suitable for an attempt at surfing and then pulled on some denim shorts and a long vest top, knowing that this was probably going to be the only time in the week that I was here that I would get to wear anything remotely summery.

Bridget looked skeptical. “I’m not sure, the weather won’t hold up long enough you know.”

“Well, if we set off soon we could make the most of the sunshine that we do have.” I sighed and went back into my tent quickly to find a thin zip up hoodie to put on over my top. Sure, it was warm, but it wasn’t that warm. As I came back out of the tent I saw Bridget roll her eyes.

“I doubt you’ll be setting off any time soon.” Bridget laughed to herself. “Harrington seemed to have his eyes on some girl from a few tents down last night, I’m pretty sure he’ll have been busy with her all night to have actually managed to sleep. He won’t be up for at least another few hours, I bet.”

“You’re such a cynic.” I laughed and Bridget rolled her eyes again.

“And you’re so naive.” My sister challenged me.

“There are more people going than just Justin you know,” I reminded her. “I’m sure if he’s not going other people will be.”

“I love your optimism.” Bridget laughed and then handed me a sausage on a fork. “It’s a crappy breakfast, I know.”

I shook my head. “No thanks, I can’t eat another sausage this week. I’m sick of having barbeque's ever night.”

My sister laughed and then switched off the camping stove. She pulled up a folding camping chair and collapsed down in it. I pulled my hair back behind my head and wrapped a hair bobble round it and then yawned a little. My sister groaned and I looked up at her in confusion.

“What?” I asked and then turned round to see what she was glaring at. I should have guessed really, because walking in the direction of our tent was Justin. I turned back round and rolled my eyes at my sister.

“Behave.” I told her and then turned round again, smiling at Justin. “Hey.”

“Hey Macy, Bridget.” Justin smiled. “You ready for the beach today.”

“I’m surprised you’ve made it up this early.” Bridget mumbled and shook her head at Justin, who pretended not to hear. “So what time are we all going to the beach today then?”

“As soon as possible, if that’s not too much trouble?” Justin teased my sister who mumbled something under her breath that as far as I know neither of us could actually hear.

“Well, I might have to just trust you to take care of my sister for me, considering Emma has the hangover from hell.” Bridget replied calmly. I frowned at her, knowing she was lying. “If you’re quite capable of that.” She mimicked his tone of voice and then smirked up at him.

“Sure. I am an adult. Unlike some.” Justin fired back as soon as my sister had finished. They may not have liked each other, but they we’re both definitely as quick witted as the other. “So, will you be alright to set off in about half an hour Macy?”

I nodded. “Well, I’m ready now, so let me just grab my stuff and I’ll come down to you’re tent.”

“I’ll wait for you.” Justin smiled and then held out his hand to me. I took it and he pulled me up from the ground. I don’t know whether or not he was being helpful or just hanging around to annoy my sister, but I hoped it was the first. I could feel my sister glaring into my back as I walked away once I’d stuffed a towel into a bag along with all my other things. She wouldn’t be happy with me when I got back, I could tell. It was as if she wanted me to say that I couldn’t go to the beach either.

“You ready?”

I nodded and braced myself as another wave came crashing down around me. I opened my eyes once the cold rush of water had passed and shivered. I noticed that I hadn’t moved much, and was still bobbing up and down on a surfboard in the same spot of water.

“How come I didn’t move?” I asked Justin, who was treading water a few feet away from me. This was supposed to be my first, and quite possibly last if the weather didn’t stay nice, surfing lesson. Only I hadn’t learnt much more than how to sit on the board without toppling into the water headfirst.

“I don’t think the waves are strong enough to carry you.” He frowned and glanced off into the horizon. I pretended to be offended and splashed him with water, to which he just laughed and swum closer to me. I knew what he was going to do, so I closed my eyes and prepared myself for the worst.

The next second I was underwater. I kicked my legs underneath me and headed in the direction that I thought would bring me to the surface. Once my head was above water I shook my head at Justin and splashed him again.

“It’s not as fun if you see it coming.” He complained. “You knew I was going to do that, didn’t you?”

“I have an older sister who likes to torment me, remember?” I laughed and grabbed hold of the surfboard to stop it from floating away. Another wave passed us, only this one wasn’t even breaking yet. I brushed my wet hair back away from my face and sighed.

“It’s actually really cold.” I laughed and shivered again.

“Are you giving up on surfing that easily?” Justin asked me and I nodded straight away.

“Yes, because it’s clearly not working today.” I reminded him.

“What? The sea isn’t working?”

I paused for a moment before frowning. “You know what I mean.” Justin laughed once again and took hold of the surfboard, pulling it away from me and we both started swimming in the direction of the shore.

“My sister is seriously missing out.” I mumbled to myself once we were out of the water. “I bet you anything that this is the only sunny day we get this week.”

“She really is stubborn.” Justin laughed to himself and ran his hand through his wet hair, causing it to stick up. “But it’s her loss.”

I nodded in agreement and watched my feet sinking into the sand as we walked. I could see the rest of the people who’d ended up coming to the beach with us all having a game of volleyball at the top of the beach.

“You know what. I can’t be bothered walking all the way to the top of the beach just yet.” Justin announced suddenly and stopped walking. I turned round and watched him sit down on the sand on top of one of the towels he’d left just where the tide didn’t reach. The beach was unusually quiet to say it was such a nice day, so we hadn’t had to worry about anyone stealing them. I had the other towel wrapped round my shoulders in an attempt to warm myself up after being in the cold sea. “I think I’m just going to sit here for a bit.” Justin sighed and leaned back on his elbows.

“Why?” I asked, and found myself walking over to sit next to him. He had his eyes closed but he smiled when I dropped my towel on the floor next to him and sat on it facing him. “Its probably getting late and everyone’s going to end up going soon.”

“No, they won’t leave without me.” Justin winked in my direction and smiled once again, but this time it was more of a grin.

“What makes you so sure?” I asked playfully and then laughed to myself.

“I’m the alpha male.” Justin joked and then shook his head to himself. I shivered again and regretted not bringing another towel down to the sea with me. “You cold?” Justin asked and I nodded quickly. He shifted over to one side of the towel and patted the space next to him.

“What?” I asked and rolled my eyes, “I’ll just be as cold sitting on your towel as I will be sitting on my own.”

“Yes, but I can keep you warm.” Justin grinned and then winked again. Despite his cheesy line I shuffled over next to him and wrapped the now spare towel around my shoulders once again. Justin wrapped his arm around my shoulder and rubbed my arm through the fabric of the towel to try and warm me up.

“Jesus. You really are cold.” He mumbled after a few minutes when I stopped feeling a benefit from any of my attempts to stay warm. I nodded and tried to make myself stop shivering, but it didn’t help.

“Here.” Justin took the towel away from round me and slipped his arm round my shoulders again before placing the towel back around me. Admittedly this did help a lot, but I couldn’t help but feel a little awkward. “Is that any better?” He asked.

I nodded. “Yeah, thanks.”

“You can relax a little bit you know.” Justin laughed a few minutes later. “You’re sister isn’t here, she’s not going to kill you for sitting in such close proximity to me.”

I laughed and shook my head. “I know.” Then I sighed. “Don’t tell her this, but I’m kind of glad she isn’t here.”

“Oh, bitchy.” Justin laughed. “Why?”

“I don’t know. Its just whenever you two are together it seems like all you want to do is score points against the other.” I explained. “At least if you’re separated I know you won’t be using anyone to score points against the other.”

“You mean like you?” Justin asked suddenly, coming over all serious. I looked away from him, knowing I’d be able to concentrate more if I couldn’t see his distracting eyes, and nodded slightly. “What made you say that?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Just a feeling I guess.”

“I’m not that cruel you know.” Justin lightened his tone slightly. “I would actually never intentionally hurt someone just to get back at someone else.”

“Oh, that makes me feel so much better.” I joked.

“Ok, I wouldn’t actually ever hurt someone intentionally.” Justin rephrased what he had just said. “Honestly, I may do a lot of stupid things, but I never do anything to purposefully hurt anyone.” He reached over and put his hand under my chin, turning my head so I was facing him again before dropping his hand quickly.

I sighed. “I don’t understand why my sister hates you so much.” I confessed. “You seem like a pretty decent guy to me.”

“I am, if people give me the chance to show them that.” Justin smiled. It was a different smile to what I had seen so far, a lot more heartfelt and genuine. Like there was some deeper meaning behind it. He squeezed my shoulder gently. “I just think every single person I meet thinks I’m going to be this big jerk, so they automatically hate me.”

“I thought you might be a bit of a jerk, but that didn’t make me hate you.” I laughed. “Not everyone judges a book by its cover you know.”

“I suppose your right.” He smiled the same genuine smile once again. “You’re a pretty smart kid, you know that.”

“I am not a kid.” I replied and pulled a face at him. “And even if I am, I may be a lot more mature than most people.

“Full of yourself as well, are we?” He asked and I hit him lightly on the chest, because it was the only place I could reach. “No, I see what you mean. You seem to fit in quite well with everyone here, even if you are a few years younger.”

“I’ve always got on better with people older than me anyway.” I replied. “It’s both a gift and a curse.”

“I’ll bet.” Justin smiled to himself and I frowned.

“What?” I asked.

“Oh, its nothing.” Justin answered. “You’re just really fun to hang around with.” This made me blush slightly and I looked away from him once again.

“Oh, I’m sure you’d rather be hanging out with someone you’re own age.” I rolled my eyes. Justin shook his head straight away.

“God no! Most girls my age would have been all over me by now.” He smirked again to himself. “You’re not, and I like that.”

“Who’s full of themselves now?” I joked and we both laughed. I was starting to warm up a lot now, but I was quite happy sitting here joking with him. It was fun.

“You see! You’re funny. You’re not just a very pretty face.” Justin complimented me and I blushed again, only this time I didn’t have much chance to turn away. “Was that a blush I saw there Miss Green?”

I shook my head, too quickly. “No.”

“I think it was.” Justin grinned and he leaned closer into my ear. “But why?” He whispered and I shivered as I felt his breath against my skin.

“I guess I don’t get that many compliments.” I mumbled, only realising how incredibly lame that sounded once the words had left my mouth. Unfortunately, Justin was still in such a close proximity that there was no way that he could not hear it, unless he suddenly went deaf. “Come on, don’t you think we should go back up to the others?” I asked him and tried to stand up, but Justin just pulled me back down and stared into my eyes.

“How on earth do you not get compliments?” He asked me. “You’re a great person. I’d understand if you were a bit of a bitch and no one said anything nice about you.”

“Ok, so I get compliments on my personality.” I sighed and then trailed off. “Look, can we talk about something else?” Justin stared at me before smiling to himself again, like he had some kind of private joke with himself that happened to involve me and what I’d just said.

“Sure.” He replied simply.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd forgotten that I hadn't updated this in forever. I've just been so busy with school I haven't had the chance to write much, let alone think about updating. I know its not a very exciting chapter, but I kind of like it for some reason. I hope you like it as well :D