Status: Active

Weight of Time

Wish You Would Step Back From That Ledge My Friend,

The alarm next to me blared loudly, making my ears ring. I just stared up at the ceiling like I had been doing for the past two hours. The whole night I had been restless; tossing and turning to no end. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't face that the day was coming to an end and that a new day was beginning.

The day declared as my birthday.

I stared at the popcorn ceiling, trying to find images in them like I used to do when I was little. Outside, I could see the sun peaking over the beautiful horizon of Tempe, Arizona. The sky was an orange, purple color, filling my room with light. I stayed in place, blinking occasionally, and trying to think about everything but the fact that I was turning eighteen today.

Today, I was an adult. I would be able to officially make decisions for myself; what college I wanted to go, if I wanted to move out of my house, what city I would live in, what people I would date. But all of that felt like nothing whatsoever, especially when you had no clue what to do with your life.

I sighed, closing my eyes for a brief moment before rolling onto my left side to press the snooze button. If I didn't turn it off, I would wake someone up and have to deal with the chorus of "happy birthday's" I knew they would sing.

I got up from my bed slowly, rubbing my forehead and yawning. My restless night was finally catching up to me. As the sun slowly rised up higher in the sky, I could hear the sounds of a typical morning: birds chirping, car engines down the street, a cold fog settling on the houses, and the sounds of feet meeting cold wood.

I walked over to my private bathroom and turned on the faucet, putting my hands under the warm water and throwing the water on my face. I looked up in the mirror, my pale face dripping with water. There were bags under my once-bright eyes and my hair was a matted mess.

What a great way to start off your birthday.

"Adrianna?!" I heard my little brother, Toby, shout.

I turned around, facing my ten year old brother who was standing at my doorway. His eyes were bright with excitement, and a teddy bear was in his arms, because whether or not he liked to admit it; he couldn't sleep without his precious Dave.

"Yeah, Toby?" I asked, trying my hardest to smile.

"Happy birthday!" he shouted.