Status: Active

Weight of Time

You Could Cut Ties With All The Lies;

Although those were the words that I had been dreading to hear, I couldn’t help but to smile at the elated expression decorating my brother’s face. I bent down, slightly, and held my arms open. “Thanks, Toby,” I told him.

He fell into my arms and embraced me as well. “You’re welcome.” He pulled away, and as I stood up, I noticed that both my mother and father were standing in the doorway.

My dad stood at 6’2” and had an oval-shaped face, with a strong jaw line, which was outlined with a short, fine black beard. His eyes were the darkest brown I had ever seen, seemingly black. He had natural tanned skin, being of Italian descent. His hair was just beginning to turn gray here and there, but he still managed to look youthful for being forty-five.

My mother stood at 5’7” and her face was more heart-shaped. She had long, thick naturally auburn-colored hair. Her eyes were the softest shade of green, which stood out noticeably on her face. Her skin was a warm honey color, showing her Armenian heritage. Even at forty-three, my mom still looked as if she were in her early thirties.

I fell somewhere right in the middle of them. I had my mother’s heart-shaped face, and her green eyes, that sometimes shone the lightest shade of blue in the sunlight. I had my father’s jet black hair, which was thick and often unruly. I also had his small, pointed nose, which my mother loved to call ‘cute as a button’. My skin tone was more of my mother’s shade, and depending on how long I stayed out in the sun, could turn a shade darker. I stood at 5’8” and my legs made up the majority of that height.

My mother smiled and looked at me with adoration. “Happy eighteenth birthday, baby.”

My father cleared his throat. “You mean, young lady.” He looked at me and winked.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. “Thanks, guys. Really, it’s no big deal.”

My father arched his brows at me. “Are you sick, Adri? It’s your eighteenth birthday!”

“I know,” I said and shrugged.

My mother laughed. “Well birthday girl, get dressed and come down for breakfast. I made your favorite: chocolate-chip pancakes.”

I smiled widely, suddenly feeling hungry. “Sounds delicious. I’ll be down in a few!”

She nodded her head and Toby followed her out of my room. My father began to close the door, but stopped right before he shut it.

“Oh, before I forget, take a look outside of your window.”

“Dad, what’re you –“

He laughed. “Just do it.” He shut the door and I heard his footsteps walking down the stairs.

I ran over to my window and looked out. Standing beside my house, was none other than two of my best friends: Miranda Calloway and Garrett Nickelsen. Miranda had been my best friend for five years now. Her appearance changed as often as her mood. Her shoulder-length hair was a mix of blond, purple and black. Her eyes were amazing: one was blue, and the other, a more green color, contrasting with the light freckles sporadically spread on her face. She stood at five foot exactly, which our other best friend, John, often poked fun at.

And then, there was Garrett – my best friend since the tender age of seven. He stood at 5’9”, and had short-ish copper-colored hair, which often was a disheveled mess. He had light freckles that sometimes were barely noticeable on sun-kissed skin. A nose ring adorned his left nostril, and he had a smile that was as contagious as the flu in winter. His eyes were a vibrant hue of blue, and always twinkled with happiness.

They both stared up at me, goofy smiles plastered on their faces. Miranda held a batch of cupcakes in her hands, and Garrett held an acoustic guitar in his hands.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABY!” Miranda yelled up at me, causing me to laugh.

Garrett began strumming something that resembled a melody to the ‘Happy Birthday’ song. “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Adrianna, happy birthday to you!” He held the last note, causing his voice to crack and Miranda smacked him in the back of the head.

“Just a simple happy birthday would have done! Leave the singing for John!” she told him.

I laughed and leaned my head out of the window. “Thank you, babies! It was truly heart-warming.”

Garrett gave me his beautiful smile. “I’ll be in your driveway in thirty!”

I nodded my head. “I’ll be ready!”

Miranda rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I’ll be there, too!”

I laughed. “See ya, Miranda!”

I shut my window and ran into my bathroom, to begin to get ready for school. Even though this was a day that I did not want recognize, for obvious reasons, I wouldn’t let my pessimistic attitude bring me down just yet. How could I with friends like Miranda and Garrett?
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, but there's a lot of background info here.
Enjoy! (: