Status: New and I LOVE IT!

Fire And Fifth

1.

Lunch was quick to come and I was everything but excited for it. Lunch meant great food I'd never get the chance to eat once Jess came to play his perfect role of my personal public enemy. Taking my food, knocking my tray out of my hands, humiliating me in anyway possible. It was all because he envied who I was, and I thought he was a complete idiot for it.

As I walked into the cafe looking cafeteria, which sort of looked like a large, spacious version of the inside of Starbucks, I thought about how angry it made me the pure ignorance driven jealousy these people oozed. They thought that being someone inside the Circle was something to be feared and blessed with, yet I was one to endure it, and I hated very minute of it. Jess wasn't any different then the low-life geek squad who sat at tables nearest the cold windows when it came to loathing me and wanting to be me.

I didn't bother with lunch today, and I knew that would get me in trouble at home, but what was the point when I wasn't going to get to eat it? Instead I went to the table that Carmon, a pixie like little girl who I'd grown up with in the Circle, would always reserve for us. It was in the comfortable corner, with the nice chairs that eased my back from the stress of sitting in those terrible plastic chairs. I'll admit, this school was nice and a lot of money was put into it making this way, thankfully the majority of the kids respected it.

When I sat down, I sensed Jess strolling up, and I figured he probably followed me here.

"How come your not in line Mikey?" Jess teased, coming up to the empty table (except for Carmon, who kept her brown head down and away from Jess' eyes) and slapping my arm. I looked up at him, a deep growl coming from inside my throat. I hated it when people called me Mikey.

"Maybe it's because I'd like to spend my money on food I'll actually get to eat." I mumbled through my teeth.

"What, you don't like helpin' a brother out?" I was surprised the deaf cow could actually hear me, and it would have spared me the energy if he hadn't. I narrowed my eyes and wondered of all the things I could do to him. Make him whither in pain, set his skin on fire, make his eyeballs burst, make his blood boil, fry his insides. The number of things I could do to him were all swimming through my head as I glared at him. When he was sweating above his brow and his hands were shaking at his sides did I notice that I was scaring him.

"I'm not doing anything to you." I told him, and I saw his face fall with relief, but it was only a small fraction amount of the fear he was still trying to hold on to. I gave Carmon a glance, who looked like she about shit her pants with laughter. I wasn't sure if it was that, or because she was pissed off at me for thinking the things I was thinking.

"Get lunch tomorrow, you don't wanna keep a brother starvin'." He punched me in the arm, and left laughing like an idiot after trying to spit in my hair.

"I can't believe you just tease him like that and then let him off the hook." Carmon said to me, giving my arm a nice pat.

My look at her was incredulous, "Are you serious? I can't hurt him knowing the beating I'd get at home. Probably worse then whatever I could give him."

Carmon nodded in agreement and looked towards the entrance, where Bella, Emmry, Jessica, Katie, and Destry all entered into the cafeteria and waltzed towards the table. Bella, with her thin face and bleach blond hair held onto Emmry's large arm as if letting go of him would be the death of her. Emmry was the biggest of us from the Circle in our grade, with short dark hair and warm brown eyes. Emmry was also my brother, and by default he was my favorite person in the world. Like Carmon, he understood me, yet he was terribly honest and a loud mouth. I watched Carmon stare at them both, glaring at Emmry, yet giving a look of longing towards Bella. As far as I know, she's always wanted Bella, but same sex anything was shunned in the Circle.

Jessica was Carmon's cousin, and hated Carmon for a reason none of us seemed to understand. She was plain and boring looking, and I didn't like glancing at her all to much because she didn't put any effort into herself whatsoever. Destry was Jessica's brother, yet he wasn't as plain as her. He straightened his dark brown hair, which made him the emo God of our school, but he was with Katie, who he adored completely and who adored him back. It was sickening sometimes watching them try to romanticize our otherwise dead table.

"Have any of you guys seen the new girl?" Emmry asked as he sat down, taking his and Bella's packed lunch out of his backpack. He loved cooking, so assembling Bella's and his own lunch every night was his charm. I didn't like the things he'd cook, being a picky eater, so he doesn't do lunch for me.

"Yes, her names Olivia Green." I spoke, everyone giving me looks of repressed thoughts. Carmon just smile lightly, a little perk of the left side of her mouth. A smile that said she knew me and how I was with outsiders, always wishing I was like them and less like the Circle.

"Have you felt her?" Bella asked me, giving me that cold, hard stare of hers. Big eyes, thin lips, pale face. A stare that sent shivers up my spine every time she looked at me like that, I didn't understand what Carmon found so attractive about her.

"Yes. Felt her when she walked into my Social Studies class."

Everyone passed each other with looks of confusion, all of us questioning how we could feel the tingling of an outsider's energy. The Circle felt like the only group of people in the world that would be able to harness the energy the universe used to keep the cycle of life a continuum circle. Durham's quiet, low profile history was basically all built around the Circle and the people inside the Circle, who could even challenge the most unpredictable of forces such as the weather. There's so much about the Circle I have yet to learn, so much about what I can do, how I can use it, why I should use it, and when it should be used.

And apart of the things we've had to study about the Circle is that we're the only ones like us, which is why we're taught to breed inside the Circle, and never take the chance at putting our people at risk. So feeling someone who tickled us like we did each other, yet with a different, alarming sensation threw all that we've been taught in question.

"Should we tell?" Katie asked, her usual blank, naive expression on her face.

"No. I feel like the Elders would want to get rid of her." Destry spoke, giving Katie a reassuring look. She was the type of person that felt belittled by the tiniest of things, so Destry kept good care to make sure she never felt like that. It annoyed me.

"I agree, they'd feel like she was a threat, and we all know how much the Elders like eradicating their threats." I spoke softly, but firmly.

"I wouldn't care." Jessica finally spoke as her mean-spirited self showed through the notes of her deep, angry voice. Jessica, who was the rebel child stereotype, hated things and was very apathetic. For some reason most of that hate pointed towards Carmon, who as far as I know, has never done anything to deserve it.

"Of course you wouldn't." Emmry mumbled after he swallowed a bite. After that Destry, Katie, and Jessica all moved away silently after the separate lunch lines all dissipated slightly. Jessica walked more with an angry sulk then Katie and Destry, who held hands and talked between each other as they decided between the lunch lines. I envied them at times like these, when I felt alone in a room full of people. I knew that somehow, I would never fall in love with anyone in the Circle, a complete disappointment to my parents.

Love was the only power the universe held that we could not tap into and change, if we could I'm sure my issue finding someone in the Circle to love wouldn't be such an issue, and it would save Carmon so much heartbreak. For some reason, it seemed more wrong then anything to control love, just like the universe limited our ability to mess with the weather, or anything exactly pertaining to the role of nature. I had to sigh with the thought, so much we could do yet so much we couldn't. Limitations was my life and I'm starting to resent it.