Memory

Memory

‘Come on, Roger,’ a young girl shouted, running around in the park. Her raven hair danced in circles in the soft breezes as she spun around in joy. The girl laughed for the first time in months.

She lied on the emerald field as her lover had finally caught up with her. Lucia looked at Roger’s exhausted form, sweat covered his sun-kiss tan skin. The teenager bent his body, trying to catch his breath. He was just released from the hospital while ago, so it was normal for him to be a bit weaker than usual. Sweat reflected the bright sunlight, giving a glow to Roger’s figure. Lucia looked at Roger, admiring every single part of him; from his untidy chestnut hair, to his lean yet and body.

She recalled the accident which took place months ago. It was a serious car accident, Roger nearly died with ample broken bone and fractured arms and legs. It was a miracle that he had survived. Even when the doctors told her that Roger might not wake up from his coma and asked her to give up, she never lost faith in him, because she believed that Roger would return to her no matter what might happen. Always just like how he had promised her since they were kids.

And she was right. Roger had woke up a few days before, shocking the entire town. The news spread fast since the town was relatively small. Lucia could not be more thankful, despite the small price she had to pay. But it was all good, all good.

This was their first date ever since Roger had regained consciousness.

‘Isn’t today beautiful, Roger?’

‘Yes,’ the boy answered. He too, was smiling. It never felt so great to be outside. The blue sky, the fresh air…even the ever-annoying sun seemed to be a blessing to him, not to mention the love of his life was together with him. It was the perfect day for him.

…Or was it?

Roger pulled Lucia to her feet, giving her a peck on the cheek in the process. He chuckled, noticing his childhood friend blushing was like mad. She never got used to kissing, being the shy girl she was.

Lucia was the nicest, most beautiful girl her met, how lucky he was to have Lucia as his girlfriend, he thought.

Roger paused in the middle of his thoughts. Girlfriend…this word gave him an uneasy feeling. He tried to search for some kind of trace in his mind, but failed to do so. He felt that something was amiss, though he wasn’t sure. Maybe it was the side-effect the medicine, he concluded.

‘Where do you want to go next?’ Lucia asked her love. She didn’t mind, or care, where they’d be going, as long as Roger was with her, she was content with it.

Roger hugged Lucia lovingly. She was forever kind, regardless to anyone. He considered a few places; shopping mall, theater, amusement park, etc. Yet, he didn’t expect himself to say something suddenly.

‘How about the lake?’

The words had flown out of his lips before he had fully processed the words. Shocked, he wondered why he chose lake. Caught up in his thoughts, Roger didn’t notice the girl next to him had stiffened at the mention of going to the lake.

Lucia frowned, sadden by Roger’s choice. She quickly squeezed out a crocked smile, and nodded her head. It didn’t matter. After all, it was she who was by his side now, right?

‘Sure, Roger.’

Soon, they were standing in front of the crystal-clear lake, watching the landscape quietly. Roger approached the lake with a smile. He remembered that the lake was a one of his favorite place to go to before he was hospitalized, after much pondering. He liked how peaceful, beautiful the lake was. He’d also remember how someone would always accompany him, to talk about anything, or to merely enjoy the time they would spend together. Turning his head, he stared at Lucia. The said girl was walking towards him.

He resumed appreciating the creation of Mother Nature. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw a girl sitting by the lake, her back facing him. From the girl’s back side, Roger assumed the girl was briefly the same age as him. Her sandy blond hair flew in the wind, giving her a fragile and delicate look.

Puzzled, Roger wondered why he found the sight familiar. His conscious was telling him that he knew his girl, and he knew her well. However, Roger was not able to label her. Was the mystery girl his friend, his family, or simply his classmate? He didn’t know. Even though Roger had no knowledge about her, he felt comfortable at the presence of the girl.

Who was she?

‘Lucy,’ he called, glancing at his girlfriend.

‘Yes?’

‘Do you know that…’ Roger trailed off, surprised that the strange girl had disappeared from the lake side. His eyes flickered around, searching for any trace of her. Lucia furrowed her brows, worried about Roger.

‘Roger, is everything okay?’ He ceased his search, focusing on Lucia again. It made him guilty to see her concerned look, as if she had not been worrying enough for the past few months. ‘I…’ he began, but did not know what to say. Should he comfort her? But what could he possibly say?

The onyx-hair girl was getting more and more anxious. It appeared that Roger was confused about something, which she had a small idea of. Lucia bit her lip nervously. Could she continue to lie to the one she loved?

‘Lucy,’ Roger made up his mind about what to say, speaking the words slowly and cautiously. ‘Have I forgotten somebody?’

She didn’t have the courage to meet his piercing eyes, sorrow filled her entire heart and soul. Her will was fading, yearning to tell her beloved the truth, yet she was fully aware that Roger would leave her without any hesitation as soon as he learnt it. Was it really that wrong to find her happiness; was it wrong to love? Lucia knew she was being selfish, but she didn’t want to leave Roger. He was hers, and hers alone.

‘I’m sorry, I don’t know.’ She lied, a lump was stuck in her throat.

‘…I see.’ Roger couldn’t hide his disappointment; he heard the obvious lie. Lucia was not a good lier; she was too innocent for things like that. Trying to ignore the awkward silence, Roger made an excuse to escape the scene. ‘How about some ice-cream? Strawberry flavor, right?’ he ran away before Lucia could answer him.

Tears began to roll down from the black-haired beauty’s face. Albeit he had lost his memory, Roger had not forgotten her.

Strawberry flavor ice-cream was her favorite, not Lucia’s.

Lucia’s heart pounded painfully against her rib cage. She was so jealous… Lucia had known Roger since they were toddlers, while she met him no longer than a year ago; Lucia had been his childhood friend, while she was his classmate; Lucia was his first crush, while she was his first love…

It really wasn’t fair.

She fell to her knees, tears were over-flowing by now. Lucia cried to her heart’s content, crying all her shame and guilt.

I’ve lost…

‘Nonsense, he loves you.’ The sandy hair girl promised.

‘You’ve stolen his heart.’ Lucia replied.

The other girl smiled dejectedly, ‘He has always been with you.’

‘He belongs with you.’

‘I don’t deserve him.’ Without waiting for the next retort, Rita marched out of the hospital room. She never looked back into the room her lover was staying in. No, she corrected mentally, it was Lucia’s lover, not hers anymore.


Amnesia… what a horrible joke, she scowled. I hate you, fate. You’ve given me someone to love, given me a hope in my life, and then snatch it right out of my hand just like that. Poof! And he was gone. Rita sniffed, wiping her tears. She was not the type to weep pitifully. She vowed to be strong once, and she did not plan to go back on her words.
I must forget him, and, you too, must forget me, Roger.

She thought she could forget him, to have a fresh start. How wrong she was. The smile, the laughter…they had already been burnt into her mind. It was impossible to get rid of it. She knew that she must leave him, once and for all, before she ruined their happily ever after.

Rita stood behind a tree, looking at Roger for the last time. Lucia was perfect for him, she thought, and by no means would she interrupt them. She’d already missed his fun-loving attitude, his gleaming blue eyes, his carefree smiles…

The blond maiden shook her head, banishing all the thoughts about him. Had she not done enough damage to Lucia and Roger? Who was she, a wallflower, to compare to Lucia, the girl who had the heart of gold, the angel?

Dragging the luggage behind her, she called for a taxi. The heart-broken girl closed her eyes, shielding her tears, preventing them from leaking out as the vehicle drove past her love.

They say that it takes only a minute to get a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone, but it takes a lifetime to forget someone.

Especially when you loved the person more than life itself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading it. I apologize for submitting this just in time, I have been quite busy lately. I hope you enjoyed reading this. Please leave a comment, thank you.