The Premier Theatre

Encounter

“Kayla, come on are your ready yet?” Travis shouted up the stairs of their new house. Yeah sure it was a big investment, but neither of them had doubts whether they would stay together to fill the home with children or if they would fall apart like all the others around them.
“I’m coming Travie! Just two more minutes!”
“Okay Kayla, just two!” Travis replied, sitting on the couch crinkling his tuxedo. After two minutes that turned into five, Kayla came down the stairs in her new cream colored dress. Travis had always known he had something good in his hands, but seeing her like this just made it more real; she was impeccable, how could he have gotten so lucky?
“Okay babe, we can go to the play now.” Kayla had made sure he dressed up, but if Travis had know just how good she would look, he would have bought a better suit.
They walked out the door, and Travis clicked a button on his car keys to unlock the ’06 Corvette. Kayla stepped into the passenger side, while he took his position on the left. They zoomed through Wilmette Avenue, and took Junction 204
to Oakers Street where the Theatre became the main attraction, covered in lights and sounds.
Kayla stepped out carefully once they had parked and walked hand in hand with Travis to the entrance, looking up to see lights flashing with the name of their show, The Color Purple. It was electrifying to see all those people coming from so many places to see people act. They walked up to the next usher, and showed him their tickets and were directed towards entrance 12B. Travis couldn’t quit smiling, and Kayla couldn’t stop looking around the old building with such fascination at all the details and the painted dome ceilings; with a pattern of the sky and birds carrying flowers flying in it, looking almost realistic. They took their seats right as Travis had told her, front row, but not the regular front row, they were in the front row of the balcony, getting a close and over head view. The world danced with Kayla, until Greg took a seat in the chair next to Travis.
“Travis, you need anything? Maybe a drink?” Kayla almost begged pulling at the cuffs of his jacket.
“No honey, I think I’m good, look it’s starting!” Travis said, pointing at the stage below them filling with purple light and smoke.
Kayla looked up and found herself tied down to the plot of the play, all the dancing and singing made her mesmerized by the talent of all the actors, and the skill of all the crew, but her hypnotic state ended as she turned towards Greg, as saw him staring at her in a way that seemed unsatisfied by what he got, hungry for more. Helen was sitting next to him smiling her face off, as this was probably her first time seeing something like this. But Greg’s eyes were on her, every move she made would be accompanied by his stare, and when they finally locked eyes for more than a brief second, and Kayla reached for Travis’ hand, all the rage Greg seemed to have for himself was unleashed on Travis, making him a victim only for his simple but great connection with Kayla, love.
Greg leaped from his seat onto Travis and started throwing every punch he had in him, his sweat started to drip from his face onto Travis almost in slower motion, Greg was tired, but he was ready to fight whoever came his way, Kayla would be his own, and no one else’s. Travis started to fight back; he was in the worst position to be, and yet he still managed to punch Greg cold. After that, all Travis knew how to do was run. He grabbed Kayla and pulled her out of there, people screamed, and some shouted at them, but all Travis did was run, run away from getting Kayla taken from him.
After Travis got Kayla into the car and home, she started to finally breathe freely. But Travis wouldn’t let his guard down, he was in such a protective mode that every noise he heard was searched out to destruction, and he would not let her hand go, even though she begged him to let her walk the world with out his guidance.
“Travie, what is going on?” Kayla was fully aware who that was, but she wanted to make Travis think she was clueless.
“You know who that was Kayla,” Travis let out almost in panic, of what he didn’t know.
“I-, yes, I do. Do you?” Kayla asked being defeated from lying again by Travis’ eyes.
“It was Greg, wasn’t it?” Travis asked already knowing the answer.
“Yeah, I really don’t know what got into him; the way he just jumped at you, who does he think he is?”
The question left them silent, the truth was, he wasn’t anybody. He had no relation to Kayla anymore, he wasn’t family, they weren’t married, and Kayla didn’t have any feelings for him, other than confusion and pity.