Romance.

The End.

Romance.

“It's been a year.....You know I love you no matter what, right?”

He sounded anxious, and I reached reluctantly forward for his hand, shifting my position on the stone bench so that I was fully facing him to show that he had my complete attention. “Of course I do.”

He looked down at his lap and nodded silently, taking a deep breath. His soft pink lips quivered slightly as though they were trying to form words, but then went still without success. It seemed like there was no sound in the courtyard except the faint laughter and playful screams of our peers and the soft rhythm of our breathing; his seemingly louder than mine, as if it took more effort to fill his lungs.

Realizing that something was out of place, I stayed silent and studied him for a moment, noticing for the first time how pale and nervous he had been looking lately. There were dark circles under his beautiful eyes, and his hands, now nervously toying with the cuff of his jacket sleeve, were shaking slightly.

He looked sick, and I frowned. “Is something wrong?”

His pupils darted nervously upwards and he shook his head, too many times to convince me that he meant it. “I’m… I’m just tired. I haven’t been sleeping well and things are becoming more confusing than ever...my ex....just ugh everything has been so fucked up lately.”

I nodded sympathetically and rested my head on his shoulder, “Things will get better...I promise..” He just ignored me, let out a heavy hearted sigh and buried his face into the crook of my neck. “Never let me go...” He whispered.

*Two Years Later*

I ran up the stairs a dozen red roses clasped between my sweaty anxious palms and a huge smile on my face. Three years...Three years tody we had been together and I was about to ask him to marry me...I was about to give him the surprise of his life. Today was the perfect day.

I saw a note addressed to me on the front of his door. I neatly picked it up off the floor and started to read.

My Darling Anna,

I never wanted you to let me go. But after this I just don’t know. Never did I think at the age of twenty seven. I could be drifting up into heaven. Just carry on checking the weather. I promise you things will get better.

Your Future Husband,

James xoxo


The paper slid from hands and I started to shake. I held the roses to my chest, tighter and tighter with every breath. I reached out a trembling left hand and opened his door..